EBAY "Authenticity Guarantee"

Yeah I was pretty pissed about it, but I figured it would have been more of a hassle to try to fight that and deal with that. So I just relisted it and was overly explicit in the description and sounded like a broken record in the description and sold them again on ebay with no issues the 2nd time. Lol.

Now there's some happy camper with a beautiful pair of shoes that were only worn one time!
That was very wise of you!

I’ve had two issues this week (with an almost 20 year sales record with them, only my own personal items, not a store or anything) and twice they’ve disputed the listing, NOT the authenticity of the item. But I’m sure it’s because I don’t take returns so that’s extra liability on their program for them.

HOWEVER. Just as a warning to sellers - I actually do think something happened to my bag during the authentication process. The difference between the handling of the authentication of the two items was stark.

One, I got a system note on delivery and authentication review immediately, then the app flagged an issue, and I got an issue report in the app. I also got both of those via email. I called eBay to determine the best course of action (super easy fix.) I got a transcript of my call and a follow up survey, it’s off to the buyer, I have tracking etc.

Second item, received a delivery note to eBay’s AG center. Then nothing for days. Then out of the blue I got a note from the buyer that an issue had been identified that was a smell - a specific smell - that just couldn’t be from my home - and would I give a partial refund. No notes from eBay, nothing in the app, nothing on my item sale, no messages to my account. I called eBay immediately to confirm this because I had questions - and things got… odd. They did confirm this “issue” via the phone and essentially encouraged me to do the discount (or they’d send this item back to me.) I did the partial refund and said I was deeply concerned this occurred under their care and explained why. And they also agreed the packaging was not damaged but they touch everything with white gloves and on and on. And I was like I’m telling you the item did not leave my place like that, I’ve sold so many things and NEVER had an issue. No transcript from my call, nothing. App is still sitting in a normal setting that the item is in authentication. Finally I called again today and was told the item was accepted and is being shipped to the buyer. There is still NO documentation anywhere of this supposed issue in writing. Nothing in the app, history, messages - nothing. No phone call record of my concerns. And I’m out a partial refund. And tbh I’m kind of terrified - I have no returns on my auctions so hypothetically this is eBay’s issue if the buyer knows this, accepts it, and choose to return it but the reason i chose to offer the partial is that I know that item left my house, in perfect like new condition. But in the case of a scent - it could entirely come back to me damaged not of my accord and I’d have no recourse.

I guess they also never sent me any documentation of an actual issue either so they’d have to handle it. I don’t know.

In any case, I did pull my remaining AG item offline. I’ll work through selling it another way. I haven’t had other concerns dealing with them and my other previous AG sales were great… but I have a very odd feeling about this particular sale, how customer service handled it, and let’s say something did happen!!! Mistakes do happen. This wasn’t a Birkin or anything - all they would have had to do was acknowledge it, tell me they have it handled, and thank you for your patience. But instead I’m out more money from my sale, and I have a bad feeling about this process…..

I’ve had two issues this week (with an almost 20 year sales record with them, only my own personal items, not a store or anything) and twice they’ve disputed the listing, NOT the authenticity of the item. But I’m sure it’s because I don’t take returns so that’s extra liability on their program for them.

HOWEVER. Just as a warning to sellers - I actually do think something happened to my bag during the authentication process. The difference between the handling of the authentication of the two items was stark.

One, I got a system note on delivery and authentication review immediately, then the app flagged an issue, and I got an issue report in the app. I also got both of those via email. I called eBay to determine the best course of action (super easy fix.) I got a transcript of my call and a follow up survey, it’s off to the buyer, I have tracking etc.

Second item, received a delivery note to eBay’s AG center. Then nothing for days. Then out of the blue I got a note from the buyer that an issue had been identified that was a smell - a specific smell - that just couldn’t be from my home - and would I give a partial refund. No notes from eBay, nothing in the app, nothing on my item sale, no messages to my account. I called eBay immediately to confirm this because I had questions - and things got… odd. They did confirm this “issue” via the phone and essentially encouraged me to do the discount (or they’d send this item back to me.) I did the partial refund and said I was deeply concerned this occurred under their care and explained why. And they also agreed the packaging was not damaged but they touch everything with white gloves and on and on. And I was like I’m telling you the item did not leave my place like that, I’ve sold so many things and NEVER had an issue. No transcript from my call, nothing. App is still sitting in a normal setting that the item is in authentication. Finally I called again today and was told the item was accepted and is being shipped to the buyer. There is still NO documentation anywhere of this supposed issue in writing. Nothing in the app, history, messages - nothing. No phone call record of my concerns. And I’m out a partial refund. And tbh I’m kind of terrified - I have no returns on my auctions so hypothetically this is eBay’s issue if the buyer knows this, accepts it, and choose to return it but the reason i chose to offer the partial is that I know that item left my house, in perfect like new condition. But in the case of a scent - it could entirely come back to me damaged not of my accord and I’d have no recourse.

I guess they also never sent me any documentation of an actual issue either so they’d have to handle it. I don’t know.

In any case, I did pull my remaining AG item offline. I’ll work through selling it another way. I haven’t had other concerns dealing with them and my other previous AG sales were great… but I have a very odd feeling about this particular sale, how customer service handled it, and let’s say something did happen!!! Mistakes do happen. This wasn’t a Birkin or anything - all they would have had to do was acknowledge it, tell me they have it handled, and thank you for your patience. But instead I’m out more money from my sale, and I have a bad feeling about this process…..
Did you mean ebay notified this buyer your bag has smell, then this buyer asked you for partial refund when the bag was sitting in ebay for authentication?

• Thanks
Reactions: FrenchNewbie
Did you mean ebay notified this buyer your bag has smell, then this buyer asked you for partial refund when the bag was sitting in ebay for authentication?
Yes but without any notification to me. eBay has never notified me personally of an issue. There is no indication anywhere that there was ever a concern during authentication. And there was no smell on that bag when I sent it to them. It was a very specific smell that was referenced and did not come from my home.

Yes but without any notification to me. eBay has never notified me personally of an issue. There is no indication anywhere that there was ever a concern during authentication. And there was no smell on that bag when I sent it to them. It was a very specific smell that was referenced and did not come from my home.
I’m wondering what’s the real issue was, was it an old bag, or do you have pets, maybe you get used to the smell, not accusing you, jus trying to figure out, I had bought some bags, sometimes, there are light smell from packed sealed in transit for a period of time. Was your bags shipped in a dust bag that dust bag might have smell? Etc

I’m wondering what’s the real issue was, was it an old bag, or do you have pets, maybe you get used to the smell, not accusing you, jus trying to figure out, I had bought some bags, sometimes, there are light smell from packed sealed in transit for a period of time. Was your bags shipped in a dust bag that dust bag might have smell? Etc
Nope none of those. I have wracked my brain on this one.

It’s that (I question how this item has this smell when it didn’t when it left my house) - and the contrast of the handling process of another item with listing questions. I received tons of communication about a simple issue in their verification process for the first item. And nothing about the item with this “issue”. When I called, they weren’t aware I was aware an issue had been communicated to the buyer, and when asked what I knew I said the buyer had reached out and why, and asked for a partial refund. And that’s when I was encouraged to give one. And I then said I was concerned (not about the buyer - what was going on.)

Last edited:
It’s not but I don’t want to give too much identifying information - but it would be like claiming the bag had a heavy cigar or cigarette smell but come from a smoke free home. There’s no way for you to PROVE that. But you know you don’t smoke and it didn’t leave your house with that smell.

Nope none of those. I have wracked my brain on this one.

It’s that (I question how this item has this smell when it didn’t when it left my house) - and the contrast of the handling process of another item with listing questions. I received tons of communication about a simple issue in their verification process for the first item. And nothing about the item with this “issue”. When I called, they weren’t aware I was aware an issue had been communicated to the buyer, and when asked what I knew I said the buyer had reached out and why, and asked for a partial refund. And that’s when I was encouraged to give one. And I then said I was concerned (not about the buyer - what was going on.)
That is super weird, I wondering if the bag was sold way above retail price and the ebay authentication thought the buyer may cause trouble after receiving, or the bag is difficult to determine authentic such as some of Prada, Celine bags, so they reach out to buyer for an issue you don’t believe existed, normally a buyer would not want a bag have undisclosed “odor” issue. In this case, the buyer also kinda of strange.

Since it had just go through authentication, it probably will be delivered to the buyer in few days, you may or may not know the real issue

That is super weird, I wondering if the bag was sold way above retail price and the ebay authentication thought the buyer may cause trouble after receiving, or the bag is difficult to determine authentic such as some of Prada, Celine bags, so they reach out to buyer for an issue you don’t believe existed, normally a buyer would not want a bag have undisclosed “odor” issue. In this case, the buyer also kinda of strange.

Since it had just go through authentication, it probably will be delivered to the buyer in few days, you may or may not know the real issue
Sold under retail lol. And not a super expensive bag, and not at all difficult to authenticate. Not an unusual brand. The whole thing - It is SO SO weird.