Food Easy healthy chicken/fish marinades

amymarie

Oct 6, 2008
I want to incorporate more grilled chicken/fish into my diet but the prob is I dont know how to make it taste good! Anyone know of any quick, really EASY chicken or fish marinades?

For chicken..some really fast ones are..Italian dressing~chicken breasts..I use the heck out of plastic bags for marinating.
Also...lemon..salt..pepper..crushed fresh garlic and alittle olive oil.
For fish..if I want to be really simple..its lemon..salt and pepper.
I eat alot of tilapia and always looking for easy ways to change it up..cajun seasoning..etc.
I tried another healthier recipe for fish last week..egg whites beaten..and then dip it in panko bread crumbs seasoned with whatever you like...baked it at about 400-450..until done.

olive oil, black pepper, lemon juice, a little kosher salt makes a great marinade for anything.
Basically you can use olive oil and salt as the base of almost any marinade. Just play around with your favorite spices.
I like ginger and a little brown sugar on salmon.

For chicken, equal parts soy sauce and honey with some minced garlic. The honey caramelizes while it cooks and is really tasty! You could also do a kabob version and throw in some veggies to the marinade like bell peppers and onion to the mixture.

Oh.. and I love making kabobs with halibut and using pesto brushed on as a sort of marinade...with red onion and zucchini...seriously yummy.

As others have mentioned lemon is the best on chicken in my opinion.

I squeeze a few and zest them too, then I freeze any leftovers in little ice cubes.

Be generous with the salt, nothing like a chicken with no salt (my first time making chicken, it was bad)

I mix the lemon juice, zest, and lots of salt, black pepper and rub it all under the skin of the chicken, then marinade for up to 24 hours.

A little hungarian paprika is nice in the mix too and anything else you like. Try a dash of ground fennel seeds.

Before you're ready to cook, let it come to room temp, if you're roasting in the oven with skin then I don't bother with oil or butter as the skin is fatty, if you want add a bit of butter on the outside, it's fine.

If you're BBQing, then you can use the same recipe except the chicken is chopped in pieces (I do it myself because it's cheaper to buy a whole chicken than pieces) I add some oil and oil the grill and it goes on until they're cooked and juices run clear.

Other ingredients to tenderize and marinade chicken are buttermilk or yogurt thinned down with water (whisk it well) and marinade your chicken in it for 24 hours, seasoned with salt of course. If you want indian style chicken add some tandoori spices (buy the premixed spice from the store)

If your chicken is skinless/boneless then marinade for less time and chop into cubes and skewer. Very good and flavourful

515246810_2fc375669f.jpg

3914578436_42ec7c84c7.jpg

3434322806_529b1c15a7.jpg

This is an easy recipe that I make sometimes, boneless/skinnless chicken breasts go in a casserole covered with a can of pinapple juice, garlic, salt and black pepper.

1. Preheat oven to 250°F.
  2. Bake chicken in it’s foil-covered baking dish for 60 – 75 minutes, or until cooked throughout (no longer pink in the middle). Remove 1 cup of marinade, then let chicken rest, covered, for 15 minutes.

I reduce the marinade in a pan and drizzle or coat the chicken with it.

4177595330_b147a5bf88.jpg

Tomato paste makes a good marinade too, with some olive oil and seasonings. Oranges are also great!! Don't forget the zests.

Try some pomegranate syrup, or balsamic vinegar, or Chinese five spice as a key ingredient in a marinade.

3476708791_a712b213d0.jpg

Last edited:
Wow thank you Dew Drops, that all looks amazing!!

You're welcome!! Just wanted to share some of the recipes I grew up with and regularly make. I'm experimenting a lot more and love a lot of the recipes the others suggested here with more foreign ingredients like dijons and soy glazes.

When making a marinade try to balance out flavours, something salty, sweet, acidic (depending on the richness of the fish or protein) and see how it goes from there.. tasting along the way
Lemon always goes with fish. And even if you forgot to marinade or don't have time it's easy to season a piece of protein well, grill or bake and serve it with a fresh "salsa" of any kind. Citrus or tomato or anything "fresh" with some herbs, olive oil.. etc.

If you like spicy...

My fav. is in a bit of EEVO, Garlic & Jalapenos & ground fresh pepper & seasalt for 1/2 hr to 45 mins...

then heat EEVO & brown the "white fish" / "chicken" with the marinade with it.

The smell will affect the tummy first!

hmmm.. I have not made this in a while... I may just make that sometimes this week!

Today I just tried something basic - garlic, lemon, salt, pepper, it was decent!!! I should put more lemon and salt next time.

I will try a more "advanced" marindae later this week ;)

Thanks everyone!