Easy and delicious French meal

1. Fall is here and it is now time for some cold weather food. This is a variation on a very popular French dish (dauphinois gratin) and it is very easy to make at home. I made it the other night and it's very good. These photos are off my blog so you can see how easy it is to make.

Cheesy Potatoes with Ham

2 Tablespoons butter
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    4 medium white potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I use yukon gold)
    1/2 lb. fully cooked ham - diced (about two cups)
    1 cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar/jack- swiss or gruyere is good too)
    3 Tablespoons flour
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 pint (2 cups) half & half

1. In a four quart dutch oven or chef's pan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook the garlic in the butter for 1 minute until softened. Remove from heat.
    [​IMG]
    2. Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
    [​IMG]
    3. Chop ham and shred cheese.
    [​IMG]
    4. Stir potatoes, ham, cheese, flour and pepper into garlic and butter. Pour half & half over potato mixture.
    [​IMG]
    5. Heat to boiling over medium heat, reduce to low. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender. For added yummy-ness, after cooking on the stove top for 30 minutes, sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top and broil in oven on low until melted. Serves 4.
    [​IMG]
    6. Bon Appétit!
    [​IMG]

2. see, this is something i can make.. i just need to buy the ingredients.. hehe

3. Roo ~ I Am Reading These To My Husband.....Everyone He Says: PRINT!!!

4. ^bluxcape...I Think I can Make This One As Well!!! Roo ~ Explains Everything Soooo Well!!! :smile:

5. Roo what's your blog?

6. If you'd like that info, PM me and I'll send it to you privately. ;)

7. Your images aren't loading. You may wanna host them at imageshack etc.

8. Weird. They loaded for me?

9. I had set this one aside to try and finally made it.

Modified it a bit by making the sauce first (butter, flour, 1/2 1/2 & milk, cheese), and pouring it over the rest of the ingredients before baking.

Came out great - thanks! We've put the recipe in our "keeper" file.

Next will be to try Roo's clam chowder! :yes:

10. Sounds yummy!

11. The classic French way to make this dish is with Gruyere cheese and to add a bit of nutmeg. Freshly grated is best. Yum.