Easy and delicious French meal

1. Fall is here and it is now time for some cold weather food. This is a variation on a very popular French dish (dauphinois gratin) and it is very easy to make at home. I made it the other night and it's very good. These photos are off my blog so you can see how easy it is to make.

Cheesy Potatoes with Ham

2 Tablespoons butter
    1 clove of garlic, minced
    4 medium white potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (I use yukon gold)
    1/2 lb. fully cooked ham - diced (about two cups)
    1 cup shredded cheese (I use cheddar/jack- swiss or gruyere is good too)
    3 Tablespoons flour
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1 pint (2 cups) half & half

1. In a four quart dutch oven or chef's pan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook the garlic in the butter for 1 minute until softened. Remove from heat.
    2. Peel and thinly slice potatoes.
    3. Chop ham and shred cheese.
    4. Stir potatoes, ham, cheese, flour and pepper into garlic and butter. Pour half & half over potato mixture.
    5. Heat to boiling over medium heat, reduce to low. Cover and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring frequently, until potatoes are tender. For added yummy-ness, after cooking on the stove top for 30 minutes, sprinkle 1/2 cup of shredded cheese on top and broil in oven on low until melted. Serves 4.
    6. Bon Appétit!
  2. see, this is something i can make.. i just need to buy the ingredients.. hehe
  3. Roo ~ I Am Reading These To My Husband.....Everyone He Says: PRINT!!!
  4. ^bluxcape...I Think I can Make This One As Well!!! Roo ~ Explains Everything Soooo Well!!! :smile:
  5. Roo what's your blog?
  6. If you'd like that info, PM me and I'll send it to you privately. ;)
  7. Your images aren't loading. You may wanna host them at imageshack etc.
  8. Weird. They loaded for me?
  9. I had set this one aside to try and finally made it.

Modified it a bit by making the sauce first (butter, flour, 1/2 1/2 & milk, cheese), and pouring it over the rest of the ingredients before baking.

Came out great - thanks! We've put the recipe in our "keeper" file.

Next will be to try Roo's clam chowder! :yes:
  10. Sounds yummy!
  11. The classic French way to make this dish is with Gruyere cheese and to add a bit of nutmeg. Freshly grated is best. Yum.