East Timor President shot, but alive

1. East Timor President Jose Ramos-Horta has been wounded in a pre-dawn attack on his home that killed a guard, says army spokesman Major Domingos da Camara said.
    It was unclear what condition Ramos-Horta - a Nobel Peace laureate - was in following this morning's attack, he said.

However Reuters reported he had been wounded in the stomach, quoting a military spokesman.

House guards shot back, killing attacking rebel soldier Alfredo Reinado, who was wanted on murder charges for a flare up of violence in 2006, da Camara said.

Two cars passed Ramos-Horta's house on the outskirts of the capital, Dili, at around 4am local time (6am AEDT) and began shooting, he said.

Reinado had threatened to use force against the government in November if it failed to concede to demands by a group of army deserters.

Reinado was indicted for his alleged role in several deadly shootings between the rebel army troops and police units in April and May 2006. The fighting spilled over into mayhem that left 37 people dead and drove 155,000 others from their homes.

Calm was restored by foreign troops and peaceful elections were held in which Ramos-Horta was elected president, but low-level violence had continued.

East Timor, a former Portuguese colony, gained independence in 2002 after more than two decades of brutal Indonesian occupation. Its new political leaders have vowed to tackle rampant poverty and restore damaged relations between the country's police and army.

Ramos-Horta shared the 1996 Nobel Peace Prize with Bishop Carlos Filipe Ximenes Belo for their resistance to Indonesian rule.

Such a tragic event for a country that has fought so hard to achieve independence.
  2. I hope he is okay! I think I have heard that stomach wounds can be very serious, so I'm not expecting the best. So sick of people who think violence and murder is the answer.

3. it was a former colony, what can one expect? its probably all they know
  4. yes, the situation there is very complicated, there's the fact that when timor is liberated from indonesia, the economy of timor is ot going better,it's getting worse. adn the fact that the oil produced from timor are not "enjoyed" by the local people there.