ear lobe piercing questions!

1. Hi everyone! Mods, please move this if I've posted this under the wrong category!

I have a question: I recently pierced my ears for the first time, and am now able to switch out my piercing earrings for other ones. It's been over 6 weeks, and I'm really excited but also scared to take out my piercing ones. I have a few questions:

1) Should I take out the piercing-earrings but put them back in at night when I go to sleep just to make sure that the holes don't close up?

2) Is there a time frame that I shouldn't wear drop earrings or chandelier earrings? I'm trying to avoid heavier chandelier earrings, but I've seen some really adorable crystal drop ones that aren't too heavy and would love to be able to wear those! Should I only wear those drop ones for a certain amount of time per day, or is there a certain time frame that I should just avoid wearing drop earrings to make sure that I don't end up with a line in my ear?

3) For the butterfly clip/push back, is one supposed to push it all the way against the ear, or is it supposed to be at the end of the earring?

Thank you so much for all of your help!

2. I only have one answer to number 1...

As long as you keep some sort of studs in there, you should be fine about the holes not closing up.

3. Don't be afraid to take out the piercing earrings if it has been over six weeks. Don't be afraid to wear any kinds of earrings you like. Your ears should be pretty well healed by now. Enjoy your new holes!

The backs of butterfly clips rest against the back of the earlobe.

4. ^^ Lol @ 'Enjoy your new holes'.

1) They're not going to close overnight. If they do, you have some crazy ninja ears ;)

2.) After 6 weeks, I definitely think you can wear whatever earrings you like. Just make sure you clean the posts of the earrings well before sticking them in to avoid irritation/infection. Unless they are too uncomfortable due to heaviness or look like they are stretching the hole too much, I think it's safe to wear those earrings.

3.) Push them close to the earlobe, but not too close that it starts feeling uncomfortable. Just use your own judgment whether it's tight ENOUGH. Otherwise, it's just going to fall off when you least expect it.

5. ahh thank you thank you! i felt a lot better after reading your replies.

do i clean the new earrings (before wearing) with rubbing alcohol? i always thought that we weren't supposed to clean it with rubbing alcohol cause it might burn your ears, but i suppose you would wait/rub it off of the earring before putting it in, right? hehe thank youu.

6. I dunno, I'd still wait on leaving the earrings out overnight. They might not close up, but they might be a bit harder to put in the next morning.
    Once they're completely healed you shouldn't need to clean your earrings before putting them in. If you feel the need, refrain from alcohol and use a saline solution.

7. Rubbing alcohol/peroxide will dry out your skin. You should clean the piercing with salt water soaks. Just mix a little sea salt with lukewarm water, dip a cotton ball or swab in, and rub! You can get sea salt at the grocery store. Hope I helped. =)

8. I got my ears pierced about 6 years ago - and the reason I didn't do it sooner was because I was terrified.. silly me LOL.

I left my studs in 24/7 for 6 months, just to be sure. I used the cleansing solution I got twice a day - morning and night. I also rotated them regularly. When I first took them out and put them back in, it was a little difficult for me but I finally got the hang of it. I would avoid wearing more "complicated" earrings until your holds "harden" and you can easily put in your earrings and take them out without the help of a mirror or a person.

9. I'd wait a little longer before taking them out at night. I've had mine since I was a baby (very common practice here in Mexico), so I haven't had that problem from what I can remember. But I pierced my tongue when older, and that closed up overnight after a year. So yeah, I know it's not the same thing, but I'd give your ears more time to heal completely before taking the earrings out for long periods of time.

10. thanks to every one of you!

11. I prefer to keep diamond studs in the top holes all the time. The only time I take them out is to take my shower. It's WAY too easy to knock your earring out (and down the drain) if you leave them in. Once or twice a week I open a bottle of alcohol, set the cap upside down, put the earrings in and pour some alcohol on them to soak while I shower. Take them out, blot with a tissue and they are sparkly and sterile. Obviously you don't do this with anything but real gold/platinum and diamonds.

My first piercing was done 40 years ago, so I don't worry about those. ;)

12. hehe thank you for all of your advice! it's made me feel a lot better :smile:

13. Contrary to everyone else's advice, I have had my ears pierced for almost 20 years and I have always cleaned my earring with rubbing alcohol, aside from the first 6 weeks, when I used the cleaning solution they gave me at the store. I was a total chicken though, I left my studs in for 6 months and only wore tiny earrings at first. Gradually I started wearing dangly earrings but now I hate them. I also have the helix (top cartilage part) of my ear pierced and it was pierced with a hoop, which I keep in forever because I need pliers to open it!