dying a dress?

1. remember the bridesmaid dress post a couple weeks ago? well the wedding is over (best wedding EVER...just beautiful) and i'm now officially in LOVE with the dress. :love: i'd like to to dye it black though b/c i know i'll get more use out of it that way. the forum i'd usually post this type of question on is down indefinately, but i thought maybe you ladies might have some experience with this. i don't even know where to start looking! :smile:

it's 100 percent polyester and kind of satin-crepe. photos attached.

TIA!! :flowers:
  2. I don't think you are going to be able to dye a polyester dress without some professional help. Anything available for artists and the home market will not "take". Polyester (my worst enemy) is a synthetic fiber which is dyed in the manufacturing process. That is, the polyester is dyed while it is still in the pellet stage before it gets extruded into fibers.
    Now, silk, rayon, wool, cotton, tencel and ramie are organic fibers and there are some very good reactive dyes specifically designed for either cellulose fibers (cotton, linen, ramie, rayon and tencel) or protein fibers (silk, wool). And, you can get those at artist shops or textile stores which specialize in fiber arts.
    Try http://dharmatrading.com for more information on your polyester dress or do a search for dyeing polyester and other fabrics.
    Good luck!
  3. Hello,
    This company specializes in fabric dyeing and can dye dresses, jeans, pretty much anything, as long as it has a natural fabric composition meaning cotton, wool, silk, linen etc, and even if it contains a small percentage of polyester or some other "not-natural" fabric it may still be able to dye the dress. Here's their link:

To get an estimate go to this link:

Hope this helps!
  4. because you wrote "dying" instead of "dyeing", i saw the title of this thread and thought you were looking for a dress to bury someone in or something, LOL!!!
  5. I don't think you can dye polyester.....