Dyeing the stitching on a bag--can this be done?

1. I have a HH Suki in black. I love the style of the bag, but when I opened the box, I was surprised to see that the stitching is white against black. It's not obvious from the stock photo. Otherwise, I loved the bag, so I kept it, hoping it would grow on me. Well, it hasn't. I asked a cobbler and he said that he could darken the thread (hopefully without it coming off on whatever I was wearing!) Would you do this? Has anyone ever heard of this?:confused1:

2. It's very tricky if the thread is polyester or nylon (it usually is), they are very difficult to dye. If it's cotton or hemp, it's OK. I think there must be some dyes for synthetics but I don't know of any - best you can do is to ask a good cobbler. Or email LovinMyBags - I don't know their address, but I hope someone here can help.

3. A fabric dye pen or even a sharpie sounds like it could work, just be careful to not get any on the leather.

4. Thanks, all! I just cannot love the white stitching. I think I am going to try the Sharpie!

5. I have used this as well. Works good. Just make sure that the marker you use is "permanent".

6. I have a friend who did this with a Sharpie and it came out well. Just be sure to let it dry before you carry it so that it doesn't get on your clothes.

7. It can't hurt to get a little bottle of satin finish polyurethane and go over it any time you use Sharpie or anything else that might rub off if it gets wet.

You can get it in the craft section of Wal-Mart for $1.79 or at your local craft store for about $5.

Be sure to get satin finish and not gloss - you don't want shiny black stitches! ;)