Dyeing suede bag

1. While rummaging thru the boxes and boxes of stuff from my fairly recent move, I came across a box of old purses that I have not used in some time. I packed up about 15 bags and sent them off to my cousin in Seattle, who, at 13, is first discovering bags and too shy to ask her mother to purchase her any (her explanation: If I ask my mom about it, she'll start asking me Q's like, "Why? Is there a boy you're trying to impress???" and it's just not worth it.) I kept a couple and one is in terrible shape, but I think salvageable.

It's a Coach bag I received as a gift from about 5 or 6 years ago. It's a pale pink suede with burgundy leather trim. I searched on Coach's website but it's no longer there, although the shape of the Hamptons bag came close. The pink suede is dirty but more importantly, pale pink is not my color. I'm thinking of dyeing the bag and perhaps getting some use out of it.

Anyone know of a place in NYC that will do that for me? Or a place I can send the bag to? Since it's a Coach bag that I really don't use, I don't want to spend more than the actual cost of the bag.

Thanks, all!

2. That is a great questions..I actually have a pair of suede biege boots that I would love to have dyed. Maybe you can try a local shoe repair shop? I took them to my dry cleaners to have them clean it only lasted a short while though. Good luck and tell us if you find anything!

3. I asked my local shoe repair shop before, and they advised against it. I was told that it will never actually look good. They recommended that if I buy suede in the future, buy a dark color.

4. If you feel adventurous, you can dye it yourself. Fiebing (Milwaukee, WA www.fiebing.com) makes very good leather and suede dyes in pretty colours (like those in my avatar), plus the pre/after-dye treatments as well. They are quite inexpensive (I buy them from a UK retailer for £2-something). Good luck!