Duty | Tax | Customs for International shopping {VAT refund}

Hello all! I will be traveling to Paris in a few weeks and am looking to make a few purchases during my stay. I was hoping some of you would be able to advise on some questions I had.
  1. I've read that some of the large department stores, such as Printemps, have VAT refund counters in store. After purchasing, do I still need to have my forms validated by customs at the airport and mailed? I'll be asking for the refund on my credit card.
  2. My return flight to NY will be leaving out of CDG with a brief layover in LHR. Can I validate and mail in my forms in Paris, or do I need to do this in London? If doing so in London, will I need to leave the departures area to have my forms validated at customs and re-enter through security? My concern is that I have approximately 1.5 hours for my layover and am hoping to avoid going through security in LHR.
  3. What is the current VAT refund rate for the UK? It seems as if the refund amount will be less than if I were to receive in Euro?
  4. Somewhat unrelated question, but I will be flying into CDG at Terminal 2A. Am I able to go to Terminal 2E to shop before leaving the airport? It would definitely be more convenient to shop duty-free and avoid the VAT refund process. Also, has anyone had luck with the Shop & Collect service? http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/shops/shop-collect
Thank you all in advance for your help!

I am not a total VAT refund expert but this has been my experience:
1. Yes, you still need to have the forms validated/scanned at the airport. They need to verify that you are actually leaving the EU. You will then put the forms in the mail if you are requesting a credit card refund.
2. I believe you can validate and mail your forms in Paris since your layover is so short in London. (I did something similar and processed my forms in Florence when my layover in Paris was too short.) Just make sure you have your whole itinerary in hand with your London boarding pass so that they can see you are leaving the EU. However, they likely will not even question you at all.
3. The VAT refund rate for the U.K. is about 12.5 - 13.5% but don't forget that you will be charged service fees by either Premier or Global Blue that will reduce that somewhat. In addition, foreign currency fluctuations also come into play. If the Euro declines (or strengthens) against the U.S. dollar while you are waiting for your credit card refund, your refund will be less (or more) based on the fluctuation. Regarding the second part of your question, if your purchases were in Euros then the VAT refund will be in Euros, then converted to your home currency by your credit card issuer. (One exception: American Express refunds are converted first to British pounds then to your home currency.)
4. When you fly into CDG, you can not go shopping at the airport duty free. You can shop duty free when you are flying out. They always ask to see your boarding pass to verify that you are actually leaving the country. At least, that has been my experience. If you can go to CDG early enough before your flight leaves to do some shopping and find everything you are looking for, then it is absolutely much easier than having to go through the VAT refund process. The only issue is whether they will have what you want on the day you are there. ETA: Switching terminals at CDG to go shopping is not guaranteed. Sometimes Security will let you do it, other times not.

Hope this helps and if I'm wrong about any of the above, hopefully someone will jump in and correct any misinformation!

Just another note about shopping at CDG, it took me almost 2.5 hours to get from one terminal to another on a somewhat busy morning last year and that was with no shopping along the way. That was just the amount of time required to go through the various security check points, passport control, buses between terminals, walking to the gate, etc. So, leave lots of time if you want to try and go shop in another terminal.

Reactions: Deeeee306
Just another note about shopping at CDG, it took me almost 2.5 hours to get from one terminal to another on a somewhat busy morning last year and that was with no shopping along the way. That was just the amount of time required to go through the various security check points, passport control, buses between terminals, walking to the gate, etc. So, leave lots of time if you want to try and go shop in another terminal.

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Hopefully I'm able to mail the forms from CDG rather than LHR. And I definitely plan on getting to the airport early for adequate shopping time!

Thanks so much for the detailed response! Hopefully I'm able to mail the forms from CDG rather than LHR. And I definitely plan on getting to the airport early for adequate shopping time!

I think you should be fine with mailing the forms from CDG. I wish I could remember the link where I found that information originally but I do know that they are generally very understanding about short layovers (as they were with mine). They expect most people will pack their purchases in their checked luggage too, so they realize you may not even have them with you at your final layover point before departing the EU. So, that's another reason why they'll likely let you process the paperwork there.

That being said, most tPF'ers wouldn't in a million years pack their purchases in checked luggage! I never have. I always carry them on the plane with me. But, if they do question you, you can tell them that you are planning on checking your purchases through to your final destination and that will be another good reason for them to let you process the paperwork at CDG. Then you get your custom forms stamped or scanned, mail the forms, check your luggage and go through Security with all your precious purchases with you in carry-ons. They don't follow you around so they have no idea whether you checked them or not.

Hello all! I will be traveling to Paris in a few weeks and am looking to make a few purchases during my stay. I was hoping some of you would be able to advise on some questions I had.
  1. I've read that some of the large department stores, such as Printemps, have VAT refund counters in store. After purchasing, do I still need to have my forms validated by customs at the airport and mailed? I'll be asking for the refund on my credit card.
  2. My return flight to NY will be leaving out of CDG with a brief layover in LHR. Can I validate and mail in my forms in Paris, or do I need to do this in London? If doing so in London, will I need to leave the departures area to have my forms validated at customs and re-enter through security? My concern is that I have approximately 1.5 hours for my layover and am hoping to avoid going through security in LHR.
  3. What is the current VAT refund rate for the UK? It seems as if the refund amount will be less than if I were to receive in Euro?
  4. Somewhat unrelated question, but I will be flying into CDG at Terminal 2A. Am I able to go to Terminal 2E to shop before leaving the airport? It would definitely be more convenient to shop duty-free and avoid the VAT refund process. Also, has anyone had luck with the Shop & Collect service? http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/shops/shop-collect
Thank you all in advance for your help!

I have never flown back to the US from CDG, but I have flown into CDG and back to the US from of other EU airports and this is my understanding of the procedure, which is consistent with what I've experienced. If your return flight has a connection within the EU, the VAT refund/customs process is done at the last EU airport (in your case, LHR assuming Brexit isn't finalized by the time you fly) UNLESS your items are in your checked baggage, in which case the VAT refund/customs process can be done at the at your first EU airport and the customs agent will take your checked baggage (with the merchandise) to be checked through to your final destination. So in my experience, you would not be able to tell them that you are checking the items in order go through the VAT refund/customs process at your first EU airport and then keep them in your carry-on since customs takes your checked bags with the merchandise in order to ensure that the merchandise is leaving the EU. I have heard that some customs agents will make exceptions if you have a short connection at you last EU airport, but I have never experienced that so I wouldn't risk it. On a side note, I've discovered that the VAT refund is slightly less for Chanel items purchased department stores vs. at boutiques in Paris...not by a significant amount, but it is worth noting. HTH and have a great trip!

I have never flown back to the US from CDG, but I have flown into CDG and back to the US from of other EU airports and this is my understanding of the procedure, which is consistent with what I've experienced. If your return flight has a connection within the EU, the VAT refund/customs process is done at the last EU airport (in your case, LHR assuming Brexit isn't finalized by the time you fly) UNLESS your items are in your checked baggage, in which case the VAT refund/customs process can be done at the at your first EU airport and the customs agent will take your checked baggage (with the merchandise) to be checked through to your final destination. So in my experience, you would not be able to tell them that you are checking the items in order go through the VAT refund/customs process at your first EU airport and then keep them in your carry-on since customs takes your checked bags with the merchandise in order to ensure that the merchandise is leaving the EU. I have heard that some customs agents will make exceptions if you have a short connection at you last EU airport, but I have never experienced that so I wouldn't risk it. On a side note, I've discovered that the VAT refund is slightly less for Chanel items purchased department stores vs. at boutiques in Paris...not by a significant amount, but it is worth noting. HTH and have a great trip!

Thanks for the helpful tips!

I'm wondering how often customs agents actually inspect your items at CDG? I've done the VAT refund in the Venice airport and was not asked to show my items. I'm guessing it depends on the agent and also the amount spent?

That is so interesting how experiences can vary across different airports! I've never had Customs take my checked bags ever, in any airport, in Europe. I've always gone first to the Customs Desk for the stamp/scan, then you are on your own to take your bags to your airline and check-in your luggage and get your boarding passes. Then you go through Passport Control and Security. Nobody has ever made me put my purchases in my checked luggage and I've always hand carried them on the plane. Customs never even looks at the items. Neither does Security. That's been my experience at least. (If they did take your luggage, then they'd have to do it at the same time you are checking in or do it at the same place, so that your luggage can be tagged properly, I would assume.)

Thanks for the helpful tips!

I'm wondering how often customs agents actually inspect your items at CDG? I've done the VAT refund in the Venice airport and was not asked to show my items. I'm guessing it depends on the agent and also the amount spent?

The short answer is: most likely never lol. I've never had a single Customs agent in any airport in Europe ask to inspect my items ever. I've been through CDG three times in the last two years. I guess it could happen one day so I'd still have everything all separate and ready in case they do ever ask.

That is so interesting how experiences can vary across different airports! I've never had Customs take my checked bags ever, in any airport, in Europe. I've always gone first to the Customs Desk for the stamp/scan, then you are on your own to take your bags to your airline and check-in your luggage and get your boarding passes. Then you go through Passport Control and Security. Nobody has ever made me put my purchases in my checked luggage and I've always hand carried them on the plane. Customs never even looks at the items. Neither does Security. That's been my experience at least. (If they did take your luggage, then they'd have to do it at the same time you are checking in or do it at the same place, so that your luggage can be tagged properly, I would assume.)

Wow...sounds like experiences vary greatly throughout the EU! I've had to show my purchases to customs in Amsterdam and Vienna. In Vienna, you check in with the airline and let them know you have VAT items and you then take your checked bags to customs where they take your checked bags after inspecting your purchases. Returning to the US from CDG seems like the way to go!

We'll be in France and Barcelona all this week and planning to make a purchase at Chanel.

How early do I need to get to the airport before my flight home to get all this done? Will the area I need to do all this be before or after airport security at the Barcelona airport?

Thank you in advance!

Wow, the process seems overwhelming!

We'll be in France and Barcelona all this week and planning to make a purchase at Chanel.

How early do I need to get to the airport before my flight home to get all this done? Will the area I need to do all this be before or after airport security at the Barcelona airport?

The process is really not all that bad. It just boils down to:
1. Bringing your passport to the boutique.
2. Collect the proper forms from the boutique. They know how to do this. They've done it thousands of times. Just verify the data (correct name, address, passport #, etc.) on the forms before you leave.
3. Go to the airport early enough to get the proper stamp on the form from Customs. Leave all your purchases in their original packaging in case they want to inspect them. (I've never had anyone ask to inspect.)
4. With your phone, take pictures of your completed forms before you put them in the envelopes so that you have a record of them. Make sure you can read all the information on your pictures, especially the document I.D. numbers.
5. Mail the forms at the proper kiosk. This is for credit card refunds. Personally, I prefer to take my refunds in cash (in whatever currency the purchases were made in) so I keep the forms and then process the refunds immediately at the airport at the appropriate processing place (for example, Global Blue or Travelex desks). There is usually a small fee associated with each form but I think it is less than the processing fee charged when you wait for the credit card refund. I then keep the cash refunds for future trips and don't lose money switching back to U.S. dollars again. Whatever you do, do not change your Euros back to U.S. dollars at the airport. They have the worst exchange rates. Wait until you get home and do it at your home bank. You'll get a better exchange rate.

As far as when you should get to the airport, I think the answer is "it all depends". If you have a very early morning flight and were going to arrive at the airport at 6 or 6:30 am anyway then you don't hardly need to add extra time. I have arrived at airports such as CDG or Heathrow at 6 - 7 am and breezed through the whole process at Customs in 5 minutes. There was no one else in line ahead of me. If your flight is later in the morning then maybe add an extra hour, just in case. If your flight is later in the afternoon however, during a busy holiday travel season, I would probably allow an extra 1.5 - 2 hours. If you are lucky, it won't take nearly that long but I have seen the lines stretch way, way, way long and you could easily spend an hour or so in line just to get the Customs stamp.