Duty | Tax | Customs for International shopping {VAT refund}

Hi everyone. I hope you can help me on this. My bf bought 2 Chanel items from Europe and he is going to bring it over to me in Australia next month. Does he need to declare the goods he purchased in Europe when he arrived Australia? Even he is not an Australian resident? Is there any way he can avoid paying the GST and custom fees? Many thanks !

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I hope you can help me on this. My bf bought 2 Chanel items from Europe and he is going to bring it over to me in Australia next month. Does he need to declare the goods he purchased in Europe when he arrived Australia? Even he is not an Australian resident? Is there any way he can avoid paying the GST and custom fees? Many thanks !

Technically if the two items are over 1k, he has to because he would have to fill in an entry slip/form (I think that's what is called) which is usually provided during the flight (or you can obtain before custom).

There is a specific question on the slip/form that asks if you're bringing in goods that is of 1k value or over into the country. So even if he's not Australian resident he would still have to fill that question.

Knowing the high prices of Chanel I don't want to advise you to lie/falsify on the form because the form states something along the line that all the info n details you provided are true and to the best of your knowledge etc. and you have to sign. So if he gets caught he will definitely be fined (I think the form also states the jail punishment - I'm trying hard to remember whether this applies only if you lie on the other questions like bringing foods etc or all the questions).

I have seen a lady got caught and she was fined on the spot 2 years ago on Hermes bags. I remember she was trying to argue and made the officers even more annoyed.
I was standing not far from her and could totally relate as I also tried to buy overseas and bringing back to Sydney because Aussie prices are so inflated.
I was thinking, if it were a woman, you could use the bag as a handbag and not declaring it - but since it's your boyfriend, I don't think he can actually pretend it's his handbags...

On the other hand, under no circumstances tell your bf to declare ridiculous low prices on them especially if they look brand new with all the blue film still attached or with the box, ribbon, camellia etc because they will no doubt confiscate the items because they will deem them being counterfeits!

It's really tough call because the custom tax aren't cheap either (know it from firsthand experience : (

Good luck! Whatever you decide hope to see the items revealed here!

Reactions: Missy Jny
I have never bought something that has been shipped internationally before. I want to buy a Chanel bag from the UK that is $2000. When do you pay the customs fees? Is it a statement in the mail, and do you have to pay for it before you receive your item? I'm so confused. Thanks!

Usually to the company who deliver it. I'm in the UK and if I order from the states and need to pay charges, the company have written to me and said they can't deliver till customs is paid. I usually pay it online. Hope this helps.

Hi guys, need some advice here! Your help will be much appreciated. I am currently traveling in England, and then to Barcelona for 6 days. Afterwards, I will return home (HK) but there will be a transfer flight in Germany (meaning Barcelona, Germany, HK). If i'm buying Chanel in Barcelona, should I do VAT refund in Barcelona or I will have to do it in Germany? I only get two hours in Germany for the transfer flight!

Hi guys, need some advice here! Your help will be much appreciated. I am currently traveling in England, and then to Barcelona for 6 days. Afterwards, I will return home (HK) but there will be a transfer flight in Germany (meaning Barcelona, Germany, HK). If i'm buying Chanel in Barcelona, should I do VAT refund in Barcelona or I will have to do it in Germany? I only get two hours in Germany for the transfer flight!

I would do it in Barcelona. I just flew home from there a few weeks ago. Remember to get your form stamped before you go through security than after security go downstairs to get vat refund. It was very busy when I went so I would definitely say unless you want to mail it in do it in Barcelona especially if you only have 2 hours. Just remember if you mail in the forms it still has to be stamped (drop box right there) .

I always wanted to buy a chanel bag and I can finally afford it because I got a really good job , so I went to check the prices in our stores in Abu Dhabi (UAE/DUBAI). The Chanel Jumbo Classic Flap Bag cost over 22.7K in AED (UAE Currency) and I thought it is too much ( i mean i would pay that for Van Cleef Jewelry but not for a bag) so I thought maybe I will find better deals in Italy when I will travel this summer.... especially that the EURO went down a bit.

My last city to visit was Milan and I went to the store there ( everything was sold out) but I did find the bag that I wanted and it cost 4750 euro (which is 19.3K in AED), so I thought it is better than what I am paying in my country, so I bought it.

Then I got a tax refund for 680 euro i think (2768 AED)...so i only paid like 16.5K AED.. so I saved over 6200AED ( 1687 US DOLLAR) and I am pretty happy with this.

In Milan, I went to the taxfree office and they gave me the refund in cash which was reallly good (so i can spend it somewhere else LOL) and All i have to do, is just visit the tax free at the airport and gave me my stamped invoice and leave.

Reactions: PinkTulip
I know in London there was a certain amount that was higher refund, my SA had a chart of amounts vs percent back. Like a percent or two more once over a certain amount.

Not sure why, though. Perhaps to encourage tourists to spend more? It kinda worked on me [emoji28]

I know in London there was a certain amount that was higher refund, my SA had a chart of amounts vs percent back. Like a percent or two more once over a certain amount.

Not sure why, though. Perhaps to encourage tourists to spend more? It kinda worked on me [emoji28]
Good to know there's a list! Hope I can find one for Italy and Spain!

Spain also has higher rates, 15.x% if you spend over 5K. I spent 3k in one store and the vat was 14.9%. Also, in Spain you can collect all your receipts from same store and get ur vat refund on the last day before you leave the city(which I thought was kinda cool). At Corte Ingles(department store with Hermes/Dior stores), you can pool all your receipts for everything you shop and go to any Corte ingles location on your final day to get the Vat form.

Reactions: dVn85