durable daily bag for most all occasions?

1. hi everyone,

i'm trying to find my first all-purpose bag (one i can carry around daily and that isn't too formal--something that withstands time well--both in style and in durability) and came across this forum. it seems like coach and cole haan are very popular...any other suggestions from personal experience (on first sight, marc jacob's faridah kinda caught my attention, but i'm not completely sold...).

thanks in advance for your help!!

2. Hi, welcome to the Forum. If you share some info on the following, folks might be able to give you good suggestions:

--what you need to carry in the purse
    --where you will carry your purse, e.g., university or work and what kind of field you are in, finance, the arts, etc.
    --what colors you wear a lot
    --what colors you like
    --what materials you like

3. Hi, welcome to the Forum. If you share some info on the following, folks might be able to give you good suggestions:

--what you need to carry in the purse
    --where you will carry your purse, e.g., university or work and what kind of field you are in, finance, the arts, etc.
    --what colors you wear a lot
    --what colors you like
    --what materials you like
    --what kind of strap you might like

4. Also let us know your price range. :yes:

5. Ah--totally forgot that one--how could I forget price?

6. thanks so much for the quick responses. here's a little bit more info..
    i'm basically looking for a bag to carry my basics (wallet, ipod, cell phone, small notepad/pens, space for a textbook or so if needed)--i'm a student and work and try to travel pretty light and would like a bag i could carry around to class, but also could wear at night, or for errands, or going to a coffee shop to hang out or study...i kinda prefer some of the shoulder bags (or hobos) since the straps aren't as tiny and they seem more sturdy. i'm pretty casual, jeans and t-shirt mostly and prefer earth tones and darker colors (beige, maroon, dark green, navy blue, brown, black). i don't really have a material preference (i've seen leather, corduroy, nylon bags that all seem nice), but i don't think i could pull off one of the 'shiny' leather numbers and any that seem really chic with a lot of accessorization...

price---good point (i'm looking for a bag under 350).

thanks again!!

7. That info is helpful. (And sorry to all for the double post above.)

Here are two threads that may be useful to you, as the poster's requirements are somewhat similar to yours:
    http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/looking-for-classic-leather-handbag-137208.html#post2861257
    http://forum.purseblog.com/handbags-and-purses/tano-centerfold-141438.html

In addition to Cole-Haan, which is having a sale, I'm thinking you should check these, all of which are also having sales (and check Nordie's, Niemans, Bloomies for good sales now, too):

Pierotucci www.pierotucci.com
    Hayden-Harnett www.haydenharnett.com
    Dautore (some on sale at www.Lunaboston.com now) Use the Grechen code for a deeper discount.
    Kenneth Cole www.kennethcole.com
    Tano (especially the Loveboat), shown below, from Must Have Bag, where it's $259.

loveboatscotchwhisky_l.jpg
  8. Another option is an Ani bag on sale. I have an Ani Cameron in Medium from www.jcmadison.com. This Ani Nadia from JC Madison is only $315 on sale. (Don't know if the Grechen code would get you an additional 20 percent off nor not.) Keep in mind, however, that it's large (16"L X 16.5"H X 6"W), and also unstructured, in smooshy leather, which makes it look larger (to my mind, at least).

The quality is good, including the hardware; the strap is adjustable. Reportedly, Cameron Diaz, Diane Sawyer, and others are fans. (Ani is now on hiatus, however. Her site, www.anibags.com, might be able to give you a deal. You could try contacting her through the site.)

Let us know what you decide!

aninadialgblack.jpg
  9. inudoc, welcome. How about these bags by daphnenen:

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6171829
    Can be worn as a hobo or as a tote. Fine Italian tapestry with chenille blend

[​IMG]

By the same seller, but smaller - this can be worn as a messenger, backpack or hobo

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6225380

[​IMG]

As for leather, how about this bag (it weighs 3 lbs) by Elaine Turner?

http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelID=92373&Subcategory_Link=Details_Elaine%20Turner_92373
    $251.99 one day offer

[​IMG]

10. marc by marc jacobs. they have great, sturdy, durable bags in thick, smooshy leather.
    i have two, one is a turnlock in black, shaped kind of like a duffel bag and can be hand held or worn over the shoulder. the other is a peacock blue hobo with tons of pockets that is a bit bigger. they are my workhorses, my sturdy bags that withhold all the abuse i put them through and still look new.

11. pics of the bags (took me a while to find them and the stupid settings won't let me edit my post after 15 minutes):

the turnlock satchel (stole the pic from someone on the board [sorry!] as i can't find the pic i took of mine):
    [​IMG]

the blue hobo:
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

hard to see what the colour is really like on these pics (took them with a crappy camera phone). it's really a great colour, not so bright that it's hard to mix, and not so grey that it's dull. the perfect blue to use as a neutral.

12. How about something from The Sak....they have very good prices, and you won't feel bad if something were to happen to one.

I love this one.....it's a quilted leather tote in 'bone'. The leather is surprisingly nice and soft. It holds a TON of stuff too. :tup:

mail62.jpg mail6465.jpg
  13. wow guys--you're great! thanks so much for taking the time to share your tips--i'm combing through the websites this afternoon and will let you know what i decide.

thanks again for all your help!!