dumbbells make you big?

1. Hi girls,

I just went out and purchased a set of 5 pound dumbbells and a set of 8 pound dumbbells. However, I just want lean muscle and not to bulk up or anything. Would 8 pound dumbbells bulk you up? Although I respect the women on TV who win pageants and such for being so built, I don't think that's for me! :smile:
    Thanks so much!

2. No way! Lift those weights :nuts: It is very hard for women to build a lot of muscle and "bulk up". Most of the very in-shape, fitness competitors you see are on a very strict diet with craploads of protein, are working out twice a day, with a trainer, on a specific routine, and lifting very heavy. I lift moderately heavy, and I'm not even close to looking like that :p

Lifting weights is a vital part of a successful health and fitness regimen. Without having to type it all up again, read why here - http://forum.purseblog.com/health-and-fitness/best-exercise-for-losing-weight-61944.html

3. ^C is right!

Weight would have to be so heavy you can't do more than 8 reps or so to actually start bulking/building the muscle.
    If you are able to do 12 or more reps, you're just toning!:yes:
    If you can do 2 dozen reps, you need a slightly heavier weight though!

4. well, it also depends on your body type. I tend to put on muscle in my legs and arms very easily, so whatever exercises I do, if there's resistance, I get bulkier. So, you might want to do some research on the different body types (I can't remember the names, but there's one that clearly puts on muscle easily and that's me) and do your exercises according to that.

5. ita w/ everyone. it'll only tone u up depending on the number of reps u do. u can even make it like cardio if you don't rest between sets. but to see the cuts in your arm, etc.. eating right is the key and of course cardio.

6. 4-6 sets of 12-15 reps w/ 30sec breaks in between sets is what you should be aiming for.

7. I agree with the previous post. Here is a great article based on science that will help guide you the the process. Click for Article

8. If you want to burn fat and get lean, the best thing to do is build muscle. Toning is building muscle, it just has a "prettier name".

1 pound of muscle burns about 40-50 extra calories even if you are lying on the couch all day.

I bet in about a week, your weights will be too light for you.

Sometimes women get bulky because they are building muscle and not yet burning fat, so you do look bigger esp in the legs.

I personally lift really, really heavy and have gotten down to a size 0-2 from a 10-12. Muscle takes up less space than fat so you will actually end up smaller. Of course this also depends on your diet.

I was under a 100 lbs in my 20s and a size 9. In my 30s and 40s I weighed 125lbs and was a size 2. It was all because of more muscle mass or "toning" as you would say.

L

Can anyone tell I have insomnia? I have answered posts on every forum :p

9. You are getting plenty of good advice from the other ladies here. Those 8-lb weights are going to be mighty light very soon. You should be prepared to buy some 10s, 15s, and 20s -- and that's just for the beginnings of upper body stuff. For lower body and for intermediate-level upper body, you will need them much heavier. I start my warm-up chest presses with 30-lb dumbells, and work up to 45s and higher when I'm in shape.

10. When i used to do The Firm, they suggested 3, 5 and 8 pound dumbbells. Once you build up strength, then you can used 10, 15, 20 etc. But if you don't want to get to buff, then stick with light weights. I was working out to get stronger and i started to get "too big" for my liking.