don't shoot me

if you put it that way, then the answer is simple imo. if H isn't getting any money for it, be it through you directly, your mother, your cousin, or a reseller and whatever team they may or may not have, then yes, theoretically it is no better than buying a fake.

HiHeels- Not to be argumentative, but isn't Hermes compensated for the shooting star bag in the form of employee labor? Each year Hermes agrees to pay a craftsperson: 1) their normal salary; and 2) in the form of one Hermes bag. Presumably Hermes believe that the services it receives from the craftsperson are worth the aggregate of 1 and 2 so it has received compensation for the bag, just not in cash. The craftsperson may be wrong (either morally or per agreement with Hermes) by selling the bag but I don't think Hermes is really "cheated." Is this really so different from a shop employee who gets a 30% discount and then turns around and sells what they bought on e-Bay for close to full retail?

I think Hermes' refusal to service the shooting star bag is a way of preventing/limiting an active resale market. These bags certainly were not meant for such resale and they are not commonly sold. I do think this is different from the flood of fakes where inferior merchandise "cheapens" the brand image of the original and which also contributes to an underground economy fraught with links to all kinds of other criminal behavior.

TV

HiHeels- Not to be argumentative, but isn't Hermes compensated for the shooting star bag in the form of employee labor? Each year Hermes agrees to pay a craftsperson: 1) their normal salary; and 2) in the form of one Hermes bag. Presumably Hermes believe that the services it receives from the craftsperson are worth the aggregate of 1 and 2 so it has received compensation for the bag, just not in cash. The craftsperson may be wrong (either morally or per agreement with Hermes) by selling the bag but I don't think Hermes is really "cheated." Is this really so different from a shop employee who gets a 30% discount and then turns around and sells what they bought on e-Bay for close to full retail?

I think Hermes' refusal to service the shooting star bag is a way of preventing/limiting an active resale market. These bags certainly were not meant for such resale and they are not commonly sold. I do think this is different from the flood of fakes where inferior merchandise "cheapens" the brand image of the original and which also contributes to an underground economy fraught with links to all kinds of other criminal behavior.

TV

That was my understanding too.

That being the case, a shooting star must be a great bag as I imagine the craftman would put extra special care into a bag made for him/herself.

so so interesting. thanks for joining the discussion!

HiHeels- Not to be argumentative, but isn't Hermes compensated for the shooting star bag in the form of employee labor? Each year Hermes agrees to pay a craftsperson: 1) their normal salary; and 2) in the form of one Hermes bag. Presumably Hermes believe that the services it receives from the craftsperson are worth the aggregate of 1 and 2 so it has received compensation for the bag, just not in cash.

excellent points, and so i am swayed, hermes is not being robbed in that sense, in the construction of the bag, regardless of its intended use (though i think the craftspeople don't get to make one initially, that it requires several years of service - not certain about that)

The craftsperson may be wrong (either morally or per agreement with Hermes) by selling the bag but I don't think Hermes is really "cheated." Is this really so different from a shop employee who gets a 30% discount and then turns around and sells what they bought on e-Bay for close to full retail?

here i see a problem. the employee is most certainly benefitting at the shop's expense. if someone will buy the item at close to full retail, they might buy it at full retail, or even wait until a sale, but still then buy it directly from the store. with the employee discount, the store is hoping to encourage additional business, from their employees, but then pass a perk along to them of a discount, not lose business from a third party who now does not need to be a customer in the first place. the shop has one customer, at a very low profit, loses a potential second customer, and the employee profits. that is problematic.

TV

i'm evil, i can't help but think that lyndsey (sp?) lohan cheapens hermes far more then any sidewalk vendor ever could. lol

anyway, i did come up with a separate analogy that gives me a different perspective: a doctor who works at a hospital but does consulting on the side, using his office and phones, etc. to further that independent work. that doesn't seem wrong...
i'll have to think about this some more.

This is a great thread - thanks for starting it :yes:

I recently acquired a shooting star Kelly 32 retourne but didn't get it solely because it had the star. I fell in love with the bag itself - it's black evergrain leather with white stitching and rouge-H interior and brushed silver hw.

The price was reasonable and the fact that it was crafted with :heart:love:heart: by one of the craftsman for his personal use were added bonuses for me, personally.

But star or no star, I love the bag. It'll be weird not to have it serviced at Hermes, but I'll just have to take extra-good care of it, I guess!

Here's some pics...

Lisa

Attachments

• 2b_12.JPG
    2b_12.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 63
  • a2_12.JPG
    a2_12.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 83_12.JPG
    83_12.JPG
    24.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 3a_12.JPG
    3a_12.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 58
nefariousmuze what have you done?? you've just tossed the entire discussion out the window by posting those gorgeous pictures. forget it, nevermind, pass me a shooting star bag. lol i love your bag. i never ever ever see a bag with different color lining unless it's a bi-color and the piping contrasts on the outside. i love this secret interior. gorgeous bag. congratulations!

I recently acquired a shooting star Kelly 32 retourne but didn't get it solely because it had the star. I fell in love with the bag itself - it's black evergrain leather with white stitching and rouge-H interior and brushed silver hw.

The price was reasonable and the fact that it was crafted with :heart:love:heart: by one of the craftsman for his personal use were added bonuses for me, personally.

But star or no star, I love the bag. It'll be weird not to have it serviced at Hermes, but I'll just have to take extra-good care of it, I guess!

Here's some pics...

Lisa

Lisa, love your bag, gorgeous. I think it's extra special because as you say, it was crafted with 'love'.

Here's some pics...

Lisa

very cool. i like your Kelly. the colors are great and the star is even cute. enjoy her!!

Here's some pics...

Lisa

WOW!!!! That IS quite a find, thank-you for sharing!!!!!:love: