Don't love my engagement ring

I'd love to hear opinions on this matter. I've had my ering for over a year and I'm now very happily married. I wanted an asscher cut and had the ring made. It was not a good experience. The first design was not what I asked for and I was really disappointed. My now hubby was annoyed but then calmed down. The jeweller was not keen but agreed to re-make. When I saw the new design I said can I go on the internet but the jeweller snapped that he wasn't looking at any more designs. When I finally got the ring I still didn't really love it but hoped it would grow on me. When I saw pics in my recent wedding photos I still feel the same about the setting. In some lights I like the diamond and in others not - in certain lights it looks dark in the centre. Now I'm confused and thinking even if if have it re-set I might still be unhappy.

I don't know what to do. If it makes any difference I paid for part of the ring - I traded in one I already had which covered half of the cost. I mentioned to hubby last summer that I didn't like how the diamond looks in certain lights but he couldn't see the problem. He has no idea that I'm still not happy. What should I do? Any advice would be very welcome.

What a rude jeweller...he is not after your satisfaction huh? Anyway, if you are not in love with your ring then just change it. But discuss it with your fiancee first.

I think your stone is gorgeous. But I do agree that the space between the stone and the halo would absolutely drive me crazy. I think I would be looking for a new setting and keep that beautiful stone
Good luck

My husband gave me a similar style ring as the first setting! I ended up with a new setting without the halo and with minimal prongs and the light going to the diamond is MUCH better now. Before, with the halo, the diamond looked darker. Now there's a lot more light going in (without halo) so it sparkles so much more.

I'd suggest going to a different jeweler and testing out a new setting.

Dear Winterfell (love the name!) Your diamond is quite beautiful, but in your original post you seem unsure about the diamond itself as well as the setting. I feel your pain as I have been there. After 30 years, I am on my second diamond and third setting. My experience tells me that you have to resolve whether or not you really want to keep the diamond before spending the money to reset a stone that you feel is just OK for your taste. You can't make yourself love what you just don't. So, if you don't love it then stay with what you have until you can afford what you really really want, otherwise you won't be truly happy. Plus, your taste may change so give it some time if you aren't sure. This is a very personal thing and husbands often cannot relate to this because, among other things, they don't wear the diamond daily. If you do decide to keep the beautiful stone you have, one of the very best threads I have ever read about halos is the one at pricescope called http://www.pricescope.com/forum/sho...ctor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting-t166496.html. This shows the same gorgeous round diamond with halos by 3 different designers. The subtle differences in the halos are explained in great detail and there are photos so you can see how the different halos make the round brilliant appear larger or smaller depending on the halo's specs. I hope it is helpful. Best of luck!

Reactions: Julide
Dear Winterfell (love the name!) Your diamond is quite beautiful, but in your original post you seem unsure about the diamond itself as well as the setting. I feel your pain as I have been there. After 30 years, I am on my second diamond and third setting. My experience tells me that you have to resolve whether or not you really want to keep the diamond before spending the money to reset a stone that you feel is just OK for your taste. You can't make yourself love what you just don't. So, if you don't love it then stay with what you have until you can afford what you really really want, otherwise you won't be truly happy. Plus, your taste may change so give it some time if you aren't sure. This is a very personal thing and husbands often cannot relate to this because, among other things, they don't wear the diamond daily. If you do decide to keep the beautiful stone you have, one of the very best threads I have ever read about halos is the one at pricescope called http://www.pricescope.com/forum/sho...ctor-canera-sk-leon-ring-setting-t166496.html. This shows the same gorgeous round diamond with halos by 3 different designers. The subtle differences in the halos are explained in great detail and there are photos so you can see how the different halos make the round brilliant appear larger or smaller depending on the halo's specs. I hope it is helpful. Best of luck!

Thank you for your wise words and also the link. it's late here in the UK but I'll take a look at the halos on pricescope tomorrow. I know exactly what you mean when you say you can't make yourself love something if you just don't.

My husband gave me a similar style ring as the first setting! I ended up with a new setting without the halo and with minimal prongs and the light going to the diamond is MUCH better now. Before, with the halo, the diamond looked darker. Now there's a lot more light going in (without halo) so it sparkles so much more.

I'd suggest going to a different jeweler and testing out a new setting.

I think it is worth looking at new settings as you suggest. Is your stone an asscher?

Ah ha! Here is the other link I was looking for and one I referred to when redoing my own pear shaped diamond with a halo http://www.pricescope.com/forum/sho...victor-canera-emilya-halo-ring-t181019-30.htm. You can see that the more delicate halo seems to win the day. It has smaller diamonds in the halo. The halo diamonds are tight against the center stone and the halo is angled. Particularly look at p.2 where you see the side by side of two versions of the ring from the post that is time stamped October 21, 2012 at 8:44 a.m. The pic is of a beautiful round, but you get the idea and it works on other cuts just as beautifully. Again, good luck and do post a pic if you make a change. :smile: