Donating an Organ

I've done many donor nephrectomies over the years, and to be a donor you have to be pretty darn healthy, both mentally and physically--the surgeries are much less invasive than in the past now that we are using laparoscopy, but still, any surgery is a big surgery when you're the patient, and since you're not sick, you have the most to lose. In addition, I would caution people to remember that down the road, you are at risk for problems with the remaining organ (e.g. if you get cancer in your remaining kidney, you probably will need dialysis).

I have only taken care of one woman who donated her kidney anonymously to someone she did not know. Unfortunately, it was rejected. :sad:

Regardless, the decision to donate an organ is amazingly selfless. I don't want to scare anyone; I just want you to know the facts before you donate.

I've done many donor nephrectomies over the years, and to be a donor you have to be pretty darn healthy, both mentally and physically--the surgeries are much less invasive than in the past now that we are using laparoscopy, but still, any surgery is a big surgery when you're the patient, and since you're not sick, you have the most to lose. In addition, I would caution people to remember that down the road, you are at risk for problems with the remaining organ (e.g. if you get cancer in your remaining kidney, you probably will need dialysis).

I have only taken care of one woman who donated her kidney anonymously to someone she did not know. Unfortunately, it was rejected. :sad:

Regardless, the decision to donate an organ is amazingly selfless. I don't want to scare anyone; I just want you to know the facts before you donate.

Donating a kidney does not increase your risk of cancer or any other disease affecting the remaining kidney. Yes, of course you no longer have a "back-up" kidney, but you are at no greater risk for developing kidney problems simply because you have donated one. Plenty of people live long, healthy lives with one kidney.

I am sure anyone choosing to donate a kidney will know EXACTLY what they are getting into. That is all part of the donation process....rigorous screening.

I really hate to see people use scare tactics to discourage people from donating, whether it be as a live donor or donating their organs after death.

I have never donated an organ(although, if I die, I am an organ donor), but I would donate to a family member or a friend in a heartbeat(no pun intended, ok..maybe a little). If there was anything I could do for a family member/friend to relieve them of pain or keep them alive, I would feel horrible if I didnt do it, and would want someone to be kind and selfless enough to donate to me, if heaven forbid, I needed it.

Im not sure if I would donate to a complete stranger, but, if given the opportunity, I would consider it.

My grandfather will be on dialysis for the rest of is his life. Everybody in our family has offered him a kidney...but he won't take it. He is past the age limit for the national list.

I can't force him, but I wish he would accept a kidney. If he rejected it, then he'd be back on dialysis. But I say lets at least try! He is trapped 3 mornings a week doing dialysis for hours. It makes me so sad.

Donating a kidney does not increase your risk of cancer or any other disease affecting the remaining kidney. Yes, of course you no longer have a "back-up" kidney, but you are at no greater risk for developing kidney problems simply because you have donated one. Plenty of people live long, healthy lives with one kidney.

I am sure anyone choosing to donate a kidney will know EXACTLY what they are getting into. That is all part of the donation process....rigorous screening.

I really hate to see people use scare tactics to discourage people from donating, whether it be as a live donor or donating their organs after death.

To clarify--I am NOT trying to use scare tactics, and I think that live organ donation is a wonderful thing. And I probably should have been more clear that you are not at increased risk of cancer in the remaining kidney, but if you *do* get cancer in the remaining kidney and require a partial or total nephectomy, then you are more likely to need dialysis or have chronic renal insufficiency (because now you have 0-0.5 kidneys, not the 1-1.5 you would have if you had not donated one already).

Granted, this is rare, but yes, it does happen. People certainly can live a long time iwthout problems with just one kidney, but potential donors should be aware that if you do develop problems with the remaining organ, the prognosis is not the same as if you had a "backup."