dogs that jump.... what to do?

1. I love dogs. I have definite dog envy and can't wait to have one!

(please don't take this the wrong way) I have never met a boxer that doesn't jump and rub it's nose all over me!

My ex's aunt use to breed them so I was always around them. We have tons of friends that have them too. They are super smart and fun to play with but I cannot stand how they rub their dirty noses one me.

Here's the problem, our one neighbor has a boxer that always dashes out and jumps all over me. One day, it took my breakfast right out of my hands (I was walking with a bagel to my car)!!! I know it is trying to play but it is so upsetting when it leave paw prints all over my NEW WHITE pants and I get nasty brown smear marks from her nose. The owner said "sorry" I just giggled and said "don't worry about it" and went back in to change. I was so upset, they were brand new white pants! Now with paw prints and nose smear!

Yesterday, I was watering my plants and ANOTHER neighbor's boxer dashed to me and started jumping. It too also got it's nose goobers all over my pants! The owner also said "sorry" and I just petted the dog and walked away.

I cannot keep doing this. They are ruining all my clothes! What do I do? I know the Mature thing to do is confront the owners but I don't want to be the Witchy neighbor. And I don't want to upset them either, I know the dogs don't do it on purpose. Yet, they have made me late on more than one occasion (because I have to change clothes) and they have ruined more than one pair of pants, not to mention, took my bagel :amazed: Should I just report it to the HOA?
  2. Its the training, I'm going to guess the dog/dogs was never trained to not jump. If the dog is older now its going to be hard to change it. :sad:

dont animals have to be tied up in your area ? if that is the case i'd speak the owners and if they dont listen to you i'd call the HOA and explain your issue.

In my area animals have to be fenced on on a chain/leash if they arent its against the law. I would let it go once but after that i'd be speaking to the owners.. btw i'm a dog owner.
  3. I would talk to your neighbor first. I know it's uncomfortable, but I think that's the way to handle it. The HOA won't really be able to do much. My lab is a jumper, and we have to keep her leashed when people come over. We're not always successful, but it's on us to make sure she behaves (especially since we obviously didn't train her well!!) Good luck!
  4. Should've let them know how unhappy you were! If MY dog had jumped on someone and gotten them dirty I would be horrified. And I have a "bad" dog sometimes -- he's a sweetheart but gets so excited when company comes over. Heck, he gets excited when I go outside to get the mail and come back in -- he treats me the same as if I'd been gone for 2 months. :shame:

I remember reading or hearing that if a dog is going to jump on you, you put your knee into it's chest. Won't hurt the dog but is supposed to tell them that you are putting a stop to it -- or something like that. And maybe say NO at the same time...

If the dog doesn't get the idea, it's owner should. I'd definitely speak to the owners next time!
  5. The knee thing is a good idea! It might work (my dog thinks it's an invitation for a playdate!!). Also, when he's running at you, try yelling sit at him. Sometimes this will startle them into, well, sitting. Or at least stopping.
  6. Sorry but your story made me laugh because I could see it in front of my eyes when the dog stole your bagel:lol: .
    I grew up with big dogs (Labradors) and we tought not to jump by turning the back to them when they do it and stand still. I actually do this with my friends's dog which is a huge German shepherd and it works. Sure it took a couple of times for her to get it but now she doesn't jump anymore. My parents have a baby Labrador right now and they train him like this already. She is soooo cute when I see her I'm so jealous that I can't have a dog:cry: .
    But the best would be to talk to the dog owners first. I hate situations like this because like you I can't stand it when people are mad at me.
    Big hugs from here!!
  7. I would ask the neighbors politely if they can keep the dog on a leash (you can always say it is because you are afraid of large dogs)...if that doesn't work then talk to the HOA. They should ALWAYS be on a leash when not in their yard (that's not just HOA rules, but usually the rules of the city you live in as well). We have pitbulls that run loose where I live...and they scare the heck out of me! I can never find the owners and will call animal is just common sense to keep your dog leashed unless it's in your fenced property or at a legal dog park!

My little dog (a mini Schnauzer) always jumps on people when they come over...he is just so excited...once you pet him he stops. Usually I'll hold him back and ask the people who come over if it's OK that he jumps on them...some don't like it and then I'll take him outside to calm down. If he were outside though and possibly muddy I would NEVER let him do that and I'd offer to dry clean your white pants if he did!!!!!!

I don't think you're being witchy at all!
  8. I am the "proud" owner of a 6 month old Lab. We are going through a terrible phase with jumping. School starts on June 1 but for the time being he is leashed or in the fenced backyard at all times. We believe that if he jumps on you it is not his fault it is ours. At 60 lbs he is just to much for anyone other then us.

In your situation I feel that the owners are at fault and not only should they be toasting you a new bagle but also offering to have your pants cleaned! In this situation I just don't see the difference between dogs and kids. If my boys had rubbed there sticky hands on your pants I certainly would have offered you more then an apology.

Take the pants to the cleaner and take the bill to you neighbors. Offer if with a smile and doogie treat!:smile:
  9. DO NOT KNEE SOMEONE ELSE'S DOG! OMG, I almost had a heart attack reading that!

1. You are not part of the dog's "pack", it may view the kneeing as a sign of aggression and attack you.

2. If a neighbor or stranger kneed my dog, I'd kick your butt. It's like telling someone to go ahead and smack someone else's child. You just don't do it.

That being said, you need to talk to your neighbor. It's not right for the dog to be jumping on you if it makes you uncomfortable. There should be leash laws in your area, you neighbor is in violation of them. Be straight forward and firm. "Fido jumping on me makes me uncomfortable. He ruined a very expensive pair of pants. Could you please either train your dog to not jump on people or leash him when he's outside." If you neighbor ignores your request, make her aware that you will call the ASPCA and report her.
  10. Jillybean, I do understand what you're saying. And I never thought about the dog viewing it as a sign of aggression, I'm not sure whether they would or not. But I must say, if a dog is running at me (let's say the neighbor's dog), I think a knee is the safest way to keep the dog at bay. To me, it's different than spanking a child. I would much rather someone put up a knee (which in no way injures the dog) than get jumped on. If someone hit my dog with a 2 by 4 because they felt threatened, then that's on me.

I agree with pdonnadurk, our dog's jumping is completely our fault. I would absolutely offer to clean clothes at the very least! If the owners can't control the dog (guilty!:shame: ), then it's a free-for-all. I couldn't fault someone from "defending" themselves, or even trying to keep their clothes safe!!
  11. Ohh, this sort of thing drives me nuts! I have a friend with a labrador that jumps on you every time you come over...jumps on you and bites your arms. I walk in their house and I have this 80 pound dog on me, biting me immediately, and no one can seem to do much about it. I just don't go over anymore.

I understand your hesitation about confronting your neighbor (there does seem to be a bit of a social stigma about complaining about another person's dog), but I think you should do it. This situation will only continue to make you angry and your relationship with your neighbor will continue to deteriorate. Once they know about your frustration hopefully they will be considerate enough to control their dog. They should have been considerate enough in the first place - almost no one likes a giant dog jumping on them, especially a muddy one!
  12. When dogs jump up they are trying to get to your eye level. Some people will crouch down to meet the dog so it won't jump. With a strange dog, I would'nt recommend that. It is the owners responsibility to train their dogs not to jump.
    Unfortunately boxers are notoriuos jumpers. You should speak to the owners, tell them it scares you. It may push the owners to spend more time training the dog. You would be doing them a favour in tellilng them. What if their dog jumped on an old person and knocked them over?
    I can't believe people just let boxers run free where you live. Thats so rude and bad for the dog.
  13. I don't like dogs that jump on me a lot either. BF hides behind me as he is afraid of dogs (the bigger breeds). He's okay with the smaller ones cause they can't jump up on him as high.
  14. You should make sure you do not acknowledge the dog when they run up to you. Lift your hands above your head, almost as if you are making the touchdown sign, but not so extreme, and turn your head away. This is what dominant dogs do to other dogs and it will help establish you as the pack leader.

15. Kneeing is wrong. The thought of kneeing someone else's dog is not only dangerous, but incredibly stupid. To a good dog owner, to anyone that respects animals, it is exactly like spanking a child. You are rising your hand (or in this case, knee) to someone's else's "child" (and yes, my dog is my child).

Run at your spouse and ask him to push you with his hand hard enough to keep you at bay. It's going to hurt. Do it in a minute of panic or distress (like a 60 lb+ dog running at you) and you're going to knee much harder than you'd think.

Not only do you risk injuring the dog (and rightfully incuring the wrath and vet bills of your neighbor), what's the first reaction of an animal to injury? Aggression. If she takes the kneeing advice, she could wind up not only hurting the dog, but wind up a dog attack victim as well. Right now the dog is being friendly, slobbery, impolite, but friendly. She's not fending off an attack, there's no reason for her to go on the defensive. Ignoring the dog, talking to the neighbors, calling the ASPCA should be her first options.

No good pet owner, vet or animal behaviorist will ever tell you to knee a strange animal, especially if you don't know if it has a history of biting or aggression.