Does anyone take generic BCPs?

1. I've been taking OrthoCyclen BCPs for a couple years after being on Depo-Provera for five years. There is a generic version of OrthoCyclen called Sprintec but I haven't switched because I am so paranoid. I am not sure if there is any truth to my fears, but 1) I am afraid that they aren't as effective as brand name; and 2) I've also heard that your periods aren't as regular when taking generics (doesn't always start on the same day).

The benefit to switching is the cost savings. I am currently paying $55 per month for OrthoCyclen; Sprintec is $6 per month. That's a huge difference!

I'd love to hear from women with generic BCP experience. Did you notice a difference? Have you had any problems?

Thank you!!

2. Hi! I am on Triphasil which is a generic of Trivora. I am NOT a doctor but I HIGHLY doubt that generics are ANY less effective than brand names. I have had no problems at all being on a generic. And my periods are extremely regular. Ask your doctor so that you know for sure but I would HIGHLY recommend generics!

Good Luck!;)

3. Thanks, MassLaw! I am sure that you are correct - that generic BCPs are just as effective as brand name. Otherwise, they wouldn't be available and women wouldn't take them. Plus, it's really nice to know that you have regular periods on them. A friend of mine who takes generics says her period is very irregular and it never starts on the same day of the week and that would drive me nuts. My other thought was that if this was true, that all women don't have regular periods on generics, it confirmed my belief that they aren't the same and brand name.

I did talk to my doctor about it and she said that if it was her, she would opt for the brand name BCPs as well. Her reasoning was the same as mine - that's it is just not worth the risk. She had no concrete reason to believe that they weren't as effective but, if that possibility exists, the stakes are pretty high and it's not something you want to gamble with.

4. I think it's strange that your doctor would say generics may not be as effective????? Weird.

Obviously, take what makes you feel better and/or get some other opinions (medical ones). Go to a different doctor, call Planned Parenthood or maybe even try www.webmd.com.

Also, I don't mean to sound like an old hen but wear condoms!!!! So many STD's out there!!!!

Maybe TMI: But I am married & still use both forms of protection at the same time! Better safe than sorry!

5. Generics are the same active ingredients, just different fillers. That is what my Dr. told me...I LOVE my generics!!

6. Thank you, both! I really think I need to look into switching to generics. It would be a savings of almost $600 per year!

7. My mother had a friend who switched from brand name to generic. It caused her to have MAJOR mood swings/hormonal imbalances. Because of this, I will never switch to generic. Since I have had not problems on my brand name pill I figure - why mess with it? On the other hand, many people take generics without any problems and the effectiveness should be the same.

8. ^That's exactly what I am afraid of.

9. I work in pharmacy and to generics have the same active ingredient as the brand that is why it is even claimed as generic. The only difference is may be the color, or whatever else was used in addition to the main active ingredient of the drug.

Orthocylen has a lot of generics:
    Sprintec
    Triphasil

If it is the case that you do react to a generic it is most likely from the something else that was "filled" in. I know a lot of women are paranoid about this and some do say they have problems but in pharmacy we really believe generics are equivalent but there are rare cases.

I would give it a go, your MD can always request you stay on brand if it doesn't work out.

10. Anyone know if there is a generic version of yasmin?

11. Thank you so much for your informative response - I really appreciate it. That makes me feel a lot better about generics. :yes: