Does anyone here have Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's Disease?

1. I was just wondering if anyone on the forum suffers from Ulcerative Colitis or Crohn's Disease.

I was just recently (October 2006) diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. I personally know how hard it can be for different people to struggle with this disease and I also know how it can impact your daily life. If anyone is wondering about this disease or needs an explanation of what it is, I can help.

(If this isn't in the right forum, or something sorry! I didn't know for sure where to post it. :shrugs: )

2. So sorry to hear that, my aunt has been suffering from it (colitis) for years... she had a few surgeries, first where they attached a bag to then they removed it and constructed part of the intenstine I believe and reattached it more naturally after cutting away parts of it.

She seems to struggle with it very often though and it affected her whole life, children, parents and everyone.

3. Oh yes, she must have had an ostotomy (I'm not sure if it's spelled correctly.). She must have had a very severe form of coitis to have to have that done. I'm sorry to hear that your aunt had to experience that. Do you know what type of medication she is on or anything?

4. No, I'm not sure but I'm sure she's on something, plus she has dietary restrictions and she's lost a LOT of weight. On the postive side she'd improved alot after surgery and she mentioned a few times that some people prefer to live with the "bag" .. that must be hard.

I met another lady with Crohns disease at the hopsital when my grandma was in, she seemed much worse and in and out of hospitals for years, so sad.

Thanks and I hope you can make a full recovery.

5. What exactly is that? Ulcerative colitis and crohns disease I read somewhere that those illnesses can develop if you have gastritis and don't seek treatment.

6. One of my best friends suffers from Crohn's disease. It's very difficult to live w/ and try to manage to have a normal lifestyle. He's in his mid 30s and it's gotten a lot worse over the past few years. Very sad.

7. Ulcerative colitis is a chronic illness. It is a disease that isn't very researched and there is no known way that it develops.

The most commonly believed origin is a malfunction in the body's immune system, which in this case means that your body thinks that there is an infection in the colon and your body produces white blood cells to attack it. Since your colon is getting constantly irritated or "attacked", it begins to get ulcers along the inner wall. There are about four different types of ulcerative colitis and each is named for the part of the colon that is hurt.

I am not as familiar with Crohn's disease, since I don't have it. It is a little more serious than Ulcerative Colitis because it effects the colon and the small intestine and effects the deeper tissue instead of just the top. Unlike Ulcerative Colitis, it effects varied parts or patches of both of the organs.

Both of the diseases are classified as Irritable Bowel Disease or IBD.

(I hope I didn't type too much! I tried to make is as easy to understand as I could! If you want to see or read more information you can go to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulcerative_colitis
    or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crohn's_disease.)

8. I don't think I have ever read that. It might be true though, I'm not sure.

9. I would be interested in finding out though..
    My Mother and Uncle have Crohn's and have both had surgery for this.. I've had stomach issues my whole life..nothing serious but I get very bad pain in my stomach from gas...(if tmi, sorry) I'm very worried if this is infact true...

10. Def. not too much information! I'm so used to talking about stuff like that with this disease that nothing phases me anymore! ;) I've asked some people who should know, so I should have a pretty def. answer for you soon!

11. Thank you! I've been feeling not so well these past few days, feels like someone is blowing up a balloon in my tummy..I feel hungry and VERY VERY full at the same time, even if I havent eaten for a day..
    Usually this happens to me for a few days randomly every few months and then goes away.. Maybe its because of my diet.... Actually, I'm sure it is..

12. I was diagnosed in 1998 with Ulcerative Colitis. The last "episode" I had with a bad ulcer, was back in summer of 03. Some friends and I were at the X-Games, and I started feeling like I was kicked in the abdomen out of no where. I collapsed and was taken to the emergency room. It was just another ulcer, but I didn't know I had it, so it was never treated, and that's where the pain came from. I have yet to have any thing else happen.

13. I just wanted to let you know that I have found an answer! The two are not really connected by any means of gastritis leading to UC. Gastritis is just an inflammation of the stomach and colitis is an inflammation of the colon. Some people who have UC have been diagnosed with gastritis after they were diagnosed with UC. But you shouldn't worry! It doesn't by any means mean that you will have UC in the future! I hope it helps! :wlae: :wlae: :smile:

14. I just wanted to let you know that I have found an answer! The two are not really connected by any means of gastritis leading to UC. Gastritis is just an inflammation of the stomach and colitis is an inflammation of the colon. Some people who have UC have been diagnosed with gastritis after they were diagnosed with UC. But you shouldn't worry! It doesn't by any means mean that you will have UC in the future! I hope it helps! :wlae: :wlae: :smile:

15. I am sooo sorry to hear this. My SIL was diagnosed with Crohn's about 2 years ago (she is 25), and it breaks my heart to see her so sick, and I also hear the UC is extremely painful as well. I hope you get better!!!:flowers: