does anyone have experience with dog in diapers?

1. there's a little rescue bulldog puppy about four hours from me that was born without feeling in his hind end. he can't control his pottying because he doesn't even know when he's going. he's only 6 months old and has already been in three families. all the families thought they could fix him, but now that it's become apparent that he's not "fixable" his current family can't care for him. :sad: i'm not even looking for a puppy until february and when that time comes my husband really wants a lab....but this little guy's story really caught me for some reason.

i have some questions into the rescue group and as far as i've researched, he'd be very susceptible to bladder infections, skin infections, and would need frequent baths. much like a baby, but for ten years instead of 2. plus the cost of vet visits and of course diapers. i haven't even seen any pet diapers that are capable of catching feces.

anyway. i don't really know where i'm going with this. i just wanted to hear some other's experiences (average cost, average care, average day, what kind of diapers to even use, etc) so my husband might be more open to it, or so that i can realize it's not the dog for me, or maybe just to put his story out there so someone with the right heart could see it.

:flowers:

2. I commend you for trying to find out more information about this situation and I'm really impressed with your desire to help this pup. I wish that I could offer some good advice, but I haven't had any experience in this area. Would it be possible to contact your vet about this issue? Mine is usually willing to give me some information without charging for a visit (but, of course, we spend a lot of money at the vet, so I think they feel like they owe us).

3. you don't want diapers to catch the poopers -- then it gets squashed up in their fur and really icky. with a dog like this it's better to have them situated so that when they do poop it's easily picked up with little mess. so this dog would need his own bed in every room he spends time it, and when he's in that room, that's where he lies. if he poops you just pick it up, and half the time there's no real mess -- the other half the time you have to change the dog bed cover.

there are low residue foods to minimize the bulk of the stools, and it's also a good idea to get into a regular exercise routine -- as the body's movement will encourage a bowel movement.

be prepared that it WILL wear on you -- but sticking to a routine is one of the best things you can do for a dog with these issues.

4. I actually sell reusable doggie diapers. They are more for stopping marking around the house, and preventing females in heat from receiving that which they desire though...

From what I know of dogs they can be predictable with movements after having eaten/drank. Every dog is unique, and you should be able to predict when the little monkey needs to go once you get to know each other. I think it is typically a 20min wait before the action occurs.

I think if you crated while not home, and strictly controlled food/water intake you would have a chance of making it a-go. If you decide to try, you are a stronger, more patient person than I.

Good luck and all the best to you guys!!! :heart:

5. thanks for all the info everyone!

i know that bulldogs are prone to lots of health problems in general. he's had multiple full vet work ups including x-rays, so i'm waiting to see what the rescue group says about other potential problems. that would be the real issue....if he has hip displaysia that needs surgery or needs a tail amputation or what have you. we could afford multiple vet visits spread out for infections and check ups, but major surgeries would be a big hardship on us.

6. When my Leeloo had her first heat I had her in kids' diapers. Yes, Pampers. She loved them 'cause she peed without having to climb off the bed. Sometimes she pooped in there too and it was ok. I just threw the diaper out and maybe clean her heinie with baby wipes. Now whenever we get on the car we put a diaper on her because she pees in the car (deathly afraid of it). I love it because it keeps my car clean!!! Then she had a uti a couple of months ago and I put diapers on 'cause she had some bleeding.

Good luck...

7. Try to find out if any of the people who had this pup before has tried acupuncture, or chiropractic care.

My bulldog gets adjusted, and accupressure once a month. Oddly enough we the doc and I were just talking about bulldogs with spinal bifida and he HAS helped some dogs with this problem. It is only $85 a session here, and you ussully start out at once or twice a week and then they spread out.

Maybe this sweet guy could benifit from this treatment, there is no garauntee but I just thought I would mention it to you.

Good luck.