Does Anyone Else Find this Disturbing?

1. I hate to get all political here...but, you all seem very educated and open minded, so, I wanted to get your opinions on this:

Does anyone else find it disturbing that since September 1, 2001 the school children of Texas are required to also pledge aligence to the state of Texas? Do other states also do this? And, how is it possible to plege aligence to the State of Texas and the United States of America at the same time?

Help me understand why this should not disturb me?

here is the statute:

The following information is excerpted from the Texas Statutes, Government Code, Title 11, Subchapter C, Sections 3100.101-3100.104.
    GOVERNMENT CODE.
    TITLE 11. STATE SYMBOLS AND HONORS; PRESERVATION.
    SUBCHAPTER C. PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE TO STATE FLAG.
    Sec. 3100.101. PLEDGE.

The pledge of allegiance to the state flag is: "Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."
    Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 7.001, eff. Sept. 1, 2001
    Sec. 3100.102. OCCASIONS AT WHICH PLEDGE MAY BE RECITED.
    The pledge of allegiance to the state flag may be recited at any:
    (1) public or private meeting at which the pledge of allegiance to the United States flag is recited; and
    (2) state historical event or celebration.
    Added by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1420, Sec. 7.001, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
    Sec. 3100.103. ORDER OF RECITATION.
    The pledge of allegiance to the flag of the United States should be recited before the pledge of allegiance to the state flag if both are recited.
    Sec. 3100.104. RECITING PLEDGE.
    If the pledge to the state flag is recited, each person who is present and:
    (1) not in uniform should: (A) face the state flag and stand at attention with the person's right hand over the heart; (B) if wearing a head covering that is easy to remove, remove that head covering with the right hand and hold it at the person's left shoulder, with the person's hand over the heart; and (C) recite the pledge; or
    (2) in uniform should remain silent, face the flag, and make the military salute.

2. Believe it or not, this is not uncommon.

3. so, this happens in other states too?

4. Indeed it does. I think it's more common in the deep South vs. other places too. Many colleges do this too in that part of the country. My granny attended Ole Miss and I believe they had a pledge too, or maybe that was her sorority? I can't remember, but traditions like this are most definitely more common in the South.

5. I don't think you should be disturbed by this so much, as it says here, unless I am mistaken that the pledge is not separate from the US one (except perhaps at state event, which already honour the state).
    It may sound strange but it's probably to instill a kind of "community duty" in the residents so that they feel like they belong someplace in particular (the US are such a big country). Maybe I'm just a dreamer though ;)

6. My understanding is that any pledges are voluntary on the part of the students, to make them mandatory would be unconstitutional for several reasons but the one that comes to mind is a religion issue- the Jehovah's Witnesses brought cases challenging pledges based on their religious beliefs and won. Unfortunately, the view of the Supreme Court is pretty much that allowing pledges in school is ok because they are voluntary notwithstanding the coersive nature of having all the students pledge. You can however sit down through it and the school can't do anything - as far as I know.

7. yeah, one of my children is in the schools here and doesn't know that pledge. . . I'm not disturbed!

8. Winternight is exactly right. Pledges are voluntary for students to participate in, meaning that nobody has to do it if they don't want to.

9. My DH is a Texan, but I defected and took him back home with me. I think he is still getting over some of the culture shock, but once a Texan always a Texan and there was never any pledging in his time. It was the lure of a good job that really got me back home to PA.
    Seriously, I don't think pledging allegiance to the state flag is going to make a difference. Home is home to some people. I will always be a Pennsylvania girl, but no one made me pledge, it is just my personal preference. He will always talk on the phone to his TX friends even though one of them lives in Seattle now.

10. PS I find it more disturbing that the Amish are allowed to take their kids out of school after 8th grade and they are never taught science. That goes on here in PA.

11. I'm not disturbed at all. It shows respect and brings a sense of community. Honoring the state flag is not mandatory as well.

12. I think there's a certain attitude in Texas towards Texas. Then again, I'm a New Yorker and there's a similar attitude here towards New York (except we don't do the pledge thing), so it's really the pot calling the kettle...

13. It doesnt disturb me. I am more disturbed by domestic violence, child molestation, minorites being discriminated against, ect ect ect.

Selena

14. Agreed. Besides it's not done here in Arizona anyway.

15. well, it is their state..