Do your kids volunteer?

1. Comments on another thread made me think about this.

My husband and I have made volunteering a priority our entire marriage and it didn't change when we had children. Our kids 4, 6 and 7 volunteer every Saturday for 2 hours at a food bank and we spent most of Thanksgiving at a nursing home. Christmas, Easter, mother's day and father's day are also nursing home times. They never grouse about it, I think they really enjoy the time spent helping others.
  2. When we were young, our mom made us volunteer at a charity event put on by our church every year. We also sponsored children in South America. I remember that it made me feel very important!

My son is 3 and too young for that now, but I look forward to getting him involved.
  3. I think it is amazing that you have made this a priority in your family! It's great that volunteering is such a natural thing for your kids now. :tup:

I don't have any children yet, but I hope I will be able to raise my children the same way when the time comes :heart:
  4. ^ i agree -- it really makes me think that i should do more. thank you!
  5. I think volunteering is a MUST for all kids.
    My daughter is in a private school where in HIGH SCHOOL,They ARENT ALLOWED to get their diploma and graduate without fulfilling a certain amount of volunteer work prior!
    I love that ....I think it teaches kids to appreciate what they have more!
  6. I don't have kids since I'm still in college but when I was in high school I did a bit of volunteer work. I wish I had the opportunity to do more and I'm planning on doing more in the future.
  7. I am also still in college... there are so many opportunities to volunteer in college! I was active in 3 different clubs at one point. It's such a great way to get to know different people.

The most fun volunteer work was the club for exchange students. We did their orientation week and organized a couple of events (like a ball, weekend trips, trips to the beach, ect.) throughout the semester. We always had a blast! And it was great to make friends with people from all over the world. You should try to join a club like that!

I totally get what you mean by saying you wish you had had the opportunity to do more. I feel like I could have done so much more in middle school or high school. Instead, I was always busy with myself... I feel a bit selfish now :sad: Plus, now I know I missed out on so much fun!

Anyway, I guess better late that never, right?! :tup:
  8. I don't have kids but when I do, DEFINITELY. I will make sure that we volunteer as a family but also encourage them to volunteer on their own time. I've volunteered throughout my life and I believe it is extremely important.

Fortunately, in my province high school students MUST do a certain number of hours of volunteer work to graduate. The unfortunately part is....many try to SCAM their way out of it (and get help from adults along the way!!) by just doing unpaid labour of any sort or having adults lie for them. It's so sad. :sad:
  9. My daughter is too young for that right now, only 2.5years old, but I do want her to volunteer her time and some of her unused toys to those less fortunate.
  10. not yet, but they are with me when we donate stuff to salvation army or goodwil. and they understand why.
  11. My teen son volunteers at our local humane society and we volunteer at the Salvation Army.
  12. My son actually wants to be a missionary, Eric Liddle is one of his hero's. He is looking foward to our Church's missions trip. They help repair buildings and teach Sunday school. He also does the VBS (helper) at our church. It is important that kids value how lucky they are and give back in some way.