Do you use your cellphone while pumping gas??

1. This is some scary information I wanted to share with you ladies, I received this email from a family friend.

I work in the refining industry and this message needs to be sent out for all to view!

First thing you need to do here is to look at the shortGasoline Fumes Video, link:

This video clip was filmed using a special camera (FLIR Gas Finder) that can see gaseous type fumes and hydrocarbon releases that the naked eye cannot detect. When pumping fuel, all cell phones should either be turned off or left in the vehicle. Under no circumstances should a live phone be near the person pumping gas. This applies to all school personnel when fueling buses, vehicles, lawn mowers, etc.

Additional information:

The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (cell phones) ignited fumes during fueling operations. In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump. In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a call while refueling their car. And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

You should know that:
    Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes
    Mobile phones that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition
    Mobile phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling lawn mowers, boat! , Etc.
    Mobile phones should not be used, or should be turned off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust, (i.e. solvents, chemicals, gases, grain dust, etc.)

To sum it up, here are the: Four Rules for Safe Refueling
    1) Turn off engine
    2) Don't smoke
    3) Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off
    4) Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling

Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of" static electricity" at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.

His results were very surprising:
    1) Out of 150 cases, almost all of them were women.
    2) Almost all cases involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas. When finished, they went back to pull the nozzle out and the fire started, as a result of static.
    3) Most had on rubber-soled shoes.
    4) Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. This is why they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
    5) Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas
    6) It is the vapors that come out of the gas that cause the fire, when connected with static charges.
    7) There were 29 fires where the vehicle was re-entered and the nozzle was touched during refueling from a variety of makes and models. Some resulted in extensive damage to the vehicle, to the station, and to the customer.
    8) Seventeen fires occurred before, during or immediately after the gas cap was removed and before fueling began.

Mr. Renkes stresses to NEVER get back into your vehicle while filling it with gas.
    If you absolutely HAVE to get in your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

As I mentioned earlier, The Petroleum Equipment Institute, along with several other companies now, are really trying to make the public aware of
    this danger. You can find out more information by going to <> . Once here, click in the center of the screen where it says "Stop Static".

I ask you to please send this in formation to ALL your family and friends, especially those who have kids in the car with them while pumping gas. If this were to happen to them, they may not be able to get the children out in time. Thanks for passing this along.

Take care,

2. no, my phone stays in my car.
  3. I heard about this so no I never do and advise anyone and everyone I know to do the same. Better to safe than sorry!
  4. Sorry guys but this is one of those urban myths that have been greatly exagerated.

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Automobiles (Fuelish Pleasures)

Static electricity is usually the igniting agent, not cellphones. If you get out of the car and not touch anything and get by the fuel pump you might get a flame started but there is near impossible.. When you get out of the car, you usually touch something-- that takes away the static energy (the door handle, fuel pump, etc)
  5. I don't believe that it's an urban myth, I believe that it's true. We never use our cellphones around gas pumps. And anyway, do we have to be connected to our phones every minute of the day?
  6. As far as I know it is true. I have had a gas station attendant tell me to get off my phone. I assume the chances of it happening are not huge, but it is not a myth as far as I know...
  7. I don't because I've seen some freaky movies, real or not. No thanks to blowing up.
  8. :lol: ha ha..
    My friend should read this. When I'm talking to her on the phone and I'm about to pump gas, I tell her "ok, I'll call you back when I'm done pumping gas, you don't want me to blow up, do you?" And she just laughs and says ok dumbass.
  9. It's an urban myth. I learned that the MAIN reason why gas station attendents tell you to not talk on the phone while pumping is that they often use wireless technology for their cc scanners. So when you're on your phone it apparently can interfere with their system.

I was on my phone once and my receipt wouldn't print out. The attendent got all mad at me and told me it was because I was on my cell. He kept checking the receipt to make sure I was charged the full amount too!
  10. yeah i heard its a myth, i leave my cell phone inside anyway but apparently there was a test where 100 switched on phones were thrown into a petrol station and they couldnt cause an ignite , they said there is a much higher chance an ignition would be cuase by a piece of nearby glass
  11. I have heard too that it is a myth but I don't use my cell either at the gas station
  12. Good article, here there are some signs (you know like the "no smoking" pictogram type) in the gas stations prohibing cell phones, and I was wondering why......that's explains.
  13. Ditto!
  14. I'm paranoid about turning of my phone at the petrol station. My Mum always laughs at me when I do that but I'd rather be safe than sorry, even if it is just a myth.