Do you use all that you buy?

JNH14

Midlife...no crisis!
O.G.
Nov 3, 2006
On my way into work the other day, one of the local stations had a discussion about women spending money on things that they never wear or use. Vickie Locke, the morning host on STAR94 in Atlanta, read a story about how much women spend on things that they never end up wearing or using during their lifetime. I was astounded to learn that after all of the discussion with the others on the show it was $20,000! That is mind-boggling to me-but I know that I am guilty of doing this! How many others out there?:nuts:

You are not the only one. Sadly I have stuff right now sitting in my closet I have not worn or used. Clothes, shoes, purses, and handbags. I better get to it, huh?

Oh my I have SO many unused bags in my closet. Sometimes I take them out and look at them. I used to try to use all of them until I bought my speedy...now she is all I ever use. I am sure once the love affair dies down a little I will use the others again.

i wore them....
at leadt my designer bags... i don't use my ordinary bags anymore because most of them are impulse buying and i don't feel like i have to use it because it's cheap.
with designer bags, i feel guilty not using them

I had to stop going to stores b/c I found myself just buying for the sake of buying. I have 6 commercial racks in our basement just filled with items.

I do the same with handbags, jewelry, clothes, shoes. I'd say more than half of my wardrobe goes unworn. I basically live in jeans & a sweatshirt (preferrably "worn in") or jeans & one of hubby's button downs.

I always found it ironic that back in college, I had 2 closets filled to the brim with clothing, etc. and I always felt like I had nothing to wear, but yet my roommate who had one very sparse closet always looked so put together. Go figure! :shrugs:

On my way into work the other day, one of the local stations had a discussion about women spending money on things that they never wear or use. Vickie Locke, the morning host on STAR94 in Atlanta, read a story about how much women spend on things that they never end up wearing or using during their lifetime. I was astounded to learn that after all of the discussion with the others on the show it was $20,000! That is mind-boggling to me-but I know that I am guilty of doing this! How many others out there?:nuts:

i struggled with this up until recently, and now, only buy things i research and LOVE and know i will wear/carry for years, not just now. i spend a lot of money on shoes and bags specifically, but my most expensive pair of shoes i've already worn for two years and will continue to wear them for many more. i think the problem comes from buying things on sale, or impulse buying. i have a 24 hour rule now (don't buy for at least 24 hours after i first see the item) and i rarely buy anything on sale or anything that i can't wear NOW and in five years.

and i don't have a lot of stuff - everything i own looks great on me, and i love it - so whatever i choose to wear/carry, i know i will look put together and be happy with it.

just my .02! :smile:

I use all my handbags and I use almost all of my clothes on a regular basis, except the coctail dresses. Luckily I've managed to wear them all at least twice, though, so I don't feel guilty about owning them.

Back when I was in college my mom bought me a lovely formal dress and I forgot to pack it, so when I did go to a formal I had to rush out and buy something not near as nice. I never wore the other dress and felt so guilty that I've been areful about it since.

I finally realized that the only things I don't use in my closet are the items that I never even tried on before I bought them. So, that teaches me a lesson about that.

I've got a closet full of clothes I don't use and many I've never used but it's not like that with bags and shoes. Some I haven't used in a while but I always have a few in rotation so they will get their time :smile:

I try to, but I have a few pairs of Diesel jeans that I haven't worn in a dog's age, so I am trying to decide if I should just hawk them on eBay. I have one Longchamp bag (I own five of the Pliage collection) which I have carried maybe five times, and I'm not crazy about it cuz it's a shoulder bag, so I will probably give that to a friend who loves it. I don't carry my LV Manhattan PM very much...I like a bit of a roomier bag so I mostly carry a Longchamp Le Pliage in 'M'. And I have WAY too much perfume, but go through phases where I will just use one of them for weeks on end!

I finally realized that the only things I don't use in my closet are the items that I never even tried on before I bought them. So, that teaches me a lesson about that.

Same here. I'm bad about buying clothes because they're on sale and look cute on the rack. All too often, they're not nearly as cute on me when I get home.

That reminds me. It's time to overhaul my closet and get rid of some of that stuff :yucky:

I have a bunch....The more expensive things I use because I thought about them before I bought them. But alot of cheaper things-or things I bought on sale were impulse buys since I have this thing about going in a store and not buying something :Push: I also have tons of things (mainly shoes) that I wore once and decided I didn't like. I just bought these boots on impulse in the beginning of december. They are really cute and they were really cheap, only $40. Yet I just haven't worn them yet. Maybe I'll make it a goal to wear them this week. :idea: