Workplace Do you think you can influence your BF/DH´s career ?

My DH was first gonna go to school to be a mechanic which I said no, he was just trying to take the easy way out. (And he would need a WAY bigger salary to be able to afford the lifestyle we one day wish to have)so now he is studying to be a Computer engineer. So proud of him :biggrin:

Yes I think you can influence your SO/DH in his career path. I have influenced my GH to go into medicine with his Econ/finance background. He originally wanted to become a stockbroker. Now, wants to own and manage hospitals.

But I think the most important thing is HOW and WHY you are guiding/influencing him that way. In the end, he must like what he is doing.

I also feel that, if I'm happy with my life and my career, it really doesn't matter to me what my DH does as long as he's happy with his career.

They say behind every good man is a great woman -- so true. Guys can really clean up their acts if given a motive (i.e.: YOU!).

I realize I may sound like a control-freak here, but I'm totally not -- I think it's just a matter of knowing what you want. If you KNOW you want a man who is ambitious, driven, dedicated, successful, etc.... you'll get him -- and if you're lucky, it'll turn out to be the guy you're already with, because I believe men really can change. Sometimes they need a little direction.

Good luck to ya!

Agreed! :yes:

I definately influence my DH's career. He says a successful man makes more money than his wife can spend and a successful woman makes more money than her husband can make! Smart man! LOL

I agree with Swanky as well that everyone in a close relationship has SOME influence over the other's career choices. I quit working because my DH pushed me to after I had awful morning sickness while pregnant with my second child. I had never planned on quitting but he had ALWAYS wanted me to. With the sickness and his pushing I finally did it!

Agreed! :yes:

I definately influence my DH's career. He says a successful man makes more money than his wife can spend and a successful woman makes more money than her husband can make! Smart man! LOL

quote]

Yeah, smart man !!:yes:
Reading you all I understand that 1) I need to stand by him 100% or not at all and leave.
2) You can influence your husband´s career path in terms of choice but not really his motivation/ambition level (more a personality thing)
SoCal, I was impressed by your story !! it´s great your husband could finally make the most of his potentials.