Do you sleep more when you're depressed?

1. I sleep for hours and hours and hours when I'm depressed. I stay up all night and sleep all day.
  2. I do believe altered sleep patterns are one of the symptoms....
  3. Sleeping more is one of the symptoms of depression. I slept around 10 hours would get up for an hour and be sad and down so I'd just go back to bed. It was really bad and I felt so unproductive which I think in turn, makes you feel even worse and more depressed. Are you taking medication? That should help regulate your sleep cycle again.
  4. No, I sleep way way way less when I'm depressed. I just can't sleep because my head is spinning.
  5. i actually sleep to feel better when i'm depressed. when something happens that bothers me, if i stay awake, i just spiral downward. if i let myself get tired from crying for a little while (i'm an easy crier, everything makes me cry), i can usually fall asleep for a couple of hours and i feel a good bit fresher and more positive when i wake up, usually.
  6. Definetly. All I want to do is stay in bed all day and I feel so tired and feel like I can't function. It is even a production to get up and go to the bathroom or get something out of the fridge if I am really down.
  7. Absolutely. I would sleep more than 10 hours a day.
  8. Yes. :sad: I do sleep more when I'm depressed.
  9. Yes, but sometimes it's restless and not a sound sleep.

This was a breaking point in my recent split with BF. He really struggled with insomnia...napping in the early evening after work, maybe coming to bed in the middle of the night, not sleeping soundly and then getting up at 3-4am to watch TV or go on the laptop. Cycle repeats. Painful.
  10. Sleeping more.....or less.....anything out of the norm from what you sleep like when you are sleeping "regular."...

Altered sleep patterns for more than 2 weeks should see your doctor, esp if accompanied by any of the following:

Persistent sad, anxious, or "empty" mood
    Feelings of hopelessness, pessimism
    Feelings of guilt, worthlessness, helplessness
    Loss of interest or pleasure in hobbies and activities that were once enjoyed, including sex
    Decreased energy, fatigue, being "slowed down"
    Difficulty concentrating, remembering, making decisions
    Insomnia, early-morning awakening, or oversleeping
    Appetite and/or weight loss or overeating and weight gain
    Thoughts of death or suicide; suicide attempts
    Restlessness, irritability
    Persistent physical symptoms that do not respond to treatment, such as headaches, digestive disorders, and chronic pain

That was taken from the National Institute of Mental Health .gov site on Depression. Click here for more info.
  11. Yes, after my mother separated from my father, she briefly fell into depression. She slept a lot and was always extremely fatigued and listless.
  12. Definately! If I'm depressed I'll fall asleep in 2 seconds.
  13. Certainly. My sleeping patterns get all f-ed up. I stay up late, then sleep during the day for hours.
  14. I try to get to bed earlier when I feel like crap and I notice that I have more trouble waking up when I'm really dreading the day. But I have trouble getting up often, could be an iron deficiency.
  15. if i'm sleeping, you know my mood is okay. i stop sleeping when i'm depressed- usually functioning on 2-4 hours a night (or less, quite often). very often when i'm depressed, i sleep once every 48 hours or so.

i'm on about 24 hours without sleep now. :push: