Do You Like This Preppy Look ?

I have to confess that I like it! Not everyday or anything, but I think the shoulder sweater can look really cute with some dresses. I'm also ok with the golf/tennis pro look for guys. I must be a dork, but I love preppy stuff. Just not all the time and not as the ONLY style you ever wear.

This is how I grew up and pretty much how I, and my family, still live.
And yes, psueb, it might very well be considered frumpy. So be it.

I consider it classic and far more frugal than the fashion of the moment. But I can appreciate high style on others.

pseub said:
I've seen a few cute, young, blonde girls who can work it pretty well, but on most people it just comes off as frumpy.

really? Like Amanda said, it's pretty much always in, in the South..
In fact, walking into the local Lily Pulitzer boutique w/ him last week is what made him tell me he wanted to see me in it. The mannequins looked really cute, tight tropical print capris w/ a fitted polo and sweaters hanging on their shoudlers. . .
I wouldn't define it as high style at all, but not frumpy.

Hey, I love a good polo shirt. And I love classic looks (have lots of Talbots in my closet). I guess it depends on how you define "preppy". When I think of "preppy" I think of a girl I saw last weekend in madras shorts, a white polo shirt, and a pink cotton cable sweater tied over her shoulders. She was adorable, but I think I'd look ridiculous in something like that. I remember the Preppy Handbook from the 80's. I had a friend at that time who was a bona fide Prep (she'd gone to boarding school and had the pink and green combo's and little whale prints).

coco-nut said:
This is how I grew up and pretty much how I, and my family, still live.
And yes, psueb, it might very well be considered frumpy. So be it.

I consider it classic and far more frugal than the fashion of the moment. But I can appreciate high style on others.

See the thing is, I usually think it looks great on other people and frumpy on me. :P I work with a woman who lives in Ralph Lauren (cable sweaters, chinos, oxford shirts) and she looks great all the time.

I don't. Perhaps for golfing, because I like to dress for the occasion, but I don't golf. hehe I am however taking up tennis, and I fully intend to break out the hot little white skirt and a polo for that. :smile:

I have to tell you I really hate it when men and women tie sweaters around their necks. It looks absolutely ridiculous IMO. I see this a lot when I'm in CT and it drives me nuts. The people I see doing this seem so pompous. They need a smack.:smash:

Now here's how to really rock the preppy look:

ep91_charlotte_whitesweater.jpg

pseub said:
Hey, I love a good polo shirt. And I love classic looks (have lots of Talbots in my closet). I guess it depends on how you define "preppy". When I think of "preppy" I think of a girl I saw last weekend in madras shorts, a white polo shirt, and a pink cotton cable sweater tied over her shoulders. She was adorable, but I think I'd look ridiculous in something like that. I remember the Preppy Handbook from the 80's. I had a friend at that time who was a bona fide Prep (she'd gone to boarding school and had the pink and green combo's and little whale prints).

That's the kind of look that I think of too for "preppy" and I've always liked it. Talbots, pearls, lacoste shirts, brooks brothers oxfords, cable sweaters, etc. I was in high school and college during the late 80'/early 90's when this was all the rage. I loved that handbook! I had friends too that were literal preps. That could get a little annoying, but they did look cute imo. (I don't think my family was loaded enough to qualify, hehe)

Nowadays, I just think it's a cute look, but is best varied w/ other styles (I'd get totally bored if I dressed that way everyday!)