Do you have to have a lot of money to carry a birkins?

Just playing Devil's Advocate :devil:: what about people who finance their automobiles? Take out home mortgages?

Some may view those as lavish and unecessary items which are silly to go into debt over. Aren't these all just personal choices?

Well I'd say there is a difference between a need and a want.

Shelter + travel + food is normally a need.

Bags are luxury items that should come last after satisfying the needs. I think that is what most people are saying here.

I normally advise people to keep their mortages to below 30% of their household income and car expenses to below 20% of their household income. More than that kind of expense is luxury imo.

The rest of the 50% is a split between household expenses, food, savings+insurance, and play money will be right at the end. That's where the money for luxury should come by.

I totally agree with your recommendations and the overall bottom line about luxury goods and priorities. I was just stirring the pot a bit :ninja:

Well I'd say there is a difference between a need and a want.

Shelter + travel + food is normally a need.

Bags are luxury items that should come last after satisfying the needs. I think that is what most people are saying here.

I normally advise people to keep their mortages to below 30% of their household income and car expenses to below 20% of their household income. More than that kind of expense is luxury imo.

The rest of the 50% is a split between household expenses, food, savings+insurance, and play money will be right at the end. That's where the money for luxury should come by.

I was reading a book called "Deluxe: How Luxury Lost Its Luster." Has anyone here read it? While I was reading it, I explored the mental gamut of why LV, why Hermes, why things with an incredible mark-up?

It occurred to me after some thinking - is luxury inconvenient? Is it exclusive? Is it symbolic? I think it's all of the above. But when I spent time (living) in Paris, FR, I saw lots of people carrying expensive items and living in cramped apartments. I think luxury represents some inaccessible ideology that helps niche businesses grow into corporations. So why? Why Hermes? Why not some unknown Swiss-German brand that charges much less for their pieces? (when I lived in FR-DE, I visited many a lederer, so my impression of CH is that they have awesome quality standards)

To me, it's symbolic in value. I believe in buying something that will maintain its look-and-feel for years. My SA told me, "this Kelly is going to outlast even your children's children." I like a good deal, and most of the time, I'm on the look-out for one. But since we live in an era where fashion is everywhere (I mean, $2 tops with random 80's scrawlings? Hellz yeah!), it's an awesome opportunity in this life to have worked for the choice to spend it, any way you want.

Hermes is less of a "luxury" brand, and I'm glad for that. It's accessible to the rest of us who like nice things. Thank you, Hermes!

I can't speak for all Asian mothers and daughters, but I can draw from my personal experience. I think Asian cultures have traditionally emphasized passive temperments. It's not a culture that traditionally rewards speaking one's mind, emotional outburts, rash comments, or very passionate displays of emotion. The issues I've experienced my mother are probably no different than what mothers and daughters deal with all over the world, it's just that my mother's style of communication is much more passive. The passiveness is at the heart of miscommunications, hurt feeliings, and the feeling of not being able to fully express one's emotions without being pre-judged.

OOOhhh, I suddenly feel like calling my sister and reaching for some Hagen Daz :hrmm:

Thank you for your eloquent thoughts! My mother was just the opposite, so I guess we never get want we want, but probably what we need!
:Partyhat:!
Care to join me for a tub of Rocky Road?