Books & Music Do you have a KINDLE? (ereader) Official thread: Please discuss

I put the cover back on and it immediately froze again!

I called Amazon and they gave me a full credit on the price of the cover (already on my credit card on-line statement, I'm impressed!) plus a $25 credit for my trouble, and they didn't want the cover back.

So now I'm looking for a replacement but before I buy one, I wonder if you 'need' a cover or if it's just something to appeal to people who like it to 'look like a book'?

I got it to protect the screen, but I see people reading them without a cover - it's lighter without the cover and takes up less space in my bag but I'm scared of damaging it if I carry it that way.

What kind of cover (if any) do you have and do you think it's necessary?

i don't have a cover for mine either and so far it's held up... i've been looking for one but it's not a priority.

any interesting free books lately?

I don't have a cover for mine and I haven't noticed scratching.

I wouldn't worry if I was like some ladies here who put everything in little pouches - but I just toss everything into my bags and I'm afraid my keys and such will scratch it.

I think what I will do for now is break off the clips and use the cover like a file folder until I can get a sleeve that fits - I've seen people with iPads in sleeves to protect the screen when they aren't using it.

Tiggy- I have that black leather Amazon cover and haven't had any issues (yet?) but I definitely see eye to eye with you as far as the fear of getting scratched. I also just throw everything into my purse and tend to not be as gentle as I should at times with my electronics.

Tiggy- I have that black leather Amazon cover and haven't had any issues (yet?) but I definitely see eye to eye with you as far as the fear of getting scratched. I also just throw everything into my purse and tend to not be as gentle as I should at times with my electronics.

I don't think this issue is 'common' or they would be recalling the covers or at least have an announcement on the website.

I wouldn't have had any idea it was the cover except someone mentioned it in this thread, and then I saw it in the user's forum on Amazon's site.

My SIL has the lighted cover and the clips are sort of brassy - the clips on the non-lighted one are black paint over a silvery metal and I noticed that the paint was peeling/scraped off on mine - maybe you only get the shorting out problem if the paint comes off?

i don't have a cover for mine either and so far it's held up... i've been looking for one but it's not a priority.

any interesting free books lately?

I use ereaderiq.com to locate free books. I get the email when they add books. There are some cute paranormal romances up now, a few James Patterson previews that are full length, and some other items. i usually download anything free that looks decent and delete if it turns out to be not good.

Last edited:
I check the Amazon top 100 Free almost daily, and if there's a new one on there with at least a 4 star rating and a decent amt of reviews, I usually just get it. What have I got to lose?
I do the same thing with free books. Also, if I notice new books in the Kindle top 50(ish) that cost, have at least 4 stars and ~20+ reviews, I will usually download the sample to see if I want to buy it. In the last 6 months since I've had my iPad and downloaded the Kindle app, I have acquired more books than I think I will ever be able to read. :blush:

I had a Kindle and then went to the Ipad..a co worker was so happy to get my Kindle, and of course it was loaded with books...I have my Amazon app on my Ipad and love to read from it..Someone told me about a book membership that cost 125.00 for life and you can download all kinds of free books and it is a family membership..I will check it out and report back if it is on the up and up...