Do you feel you have enough $ to buy a Birkin/Kelly or are you pinching pennies to..

lol!! I've certainly been blessed with an absolutely amazing Daddy, and a great Mom too! I'm so ashamed to think that when I was in middle school, I was embarrassed when my Dad picked me up from school in a big loud diesal truck, wearing a big brown hat, jeans, a plaid shirt, and a leather jacket, but now I'm the proudest daughter ever! Makes me tear up damn now there's tears, lol, my Daddy earning his money and fully paying for my education and everything else with complete confidence in me and knowing that I'll be successful :love: Really, really love my parentals :heart:

I will. I only buy when I comfortably have the spare money to do so. I would never pinch pennies to buy myself what I consider a luxury, especially with a husband and two very small children to be responsible for. When I was in my 20's, I would have felt differently, but I had no responsibilities as such then.

I couldn't happily wear my Hermes things if I was in debt, or pinching pennies.

You took the words right out of my mouth, GF!

To answer the OP's now deleted question: No, I can't afford my H bags. I had to sell Cal's first born AND my kidneys for them. Oh, and shag Mr Lau too. :roflmfao:

Well said, Lucci. It all comes down to personal taste.

lol!! I've certainly been blessed with an absolutely amazing Daddy, and a great Mom too! I'm so ashamed to think that when I was in middle school, I was embarrassed when my Dad picked me up from school in a big loud diesal truck, wearing a big brown hat, jeans, a plaid shirt, and a leather jacket, but now I'm the proudest daughter ever! Makes me tear up damn now there's tears, lol, my Daddy earning his money and fully paying for my education and everything else with complete confidence in me and knowing that I'll be successful :love: Really, really love my parentals :heart:

Your parents sound awfully like mine and you're right to :love: them. Are you my long lost sister? lol

Wow212: No, I don't pinch pennies to buy H, but we do set a budget for it. My DH is a real estate junkie so a lot of money is 'invested' if you KWIM.

Serenity: as long as you're just looking at the 'menu' and not ordering anything ... :P

I think most people have the money to buy a Birkin or Kelly. The big questions is if they WANT to spend that amount on a purse. Its a pretty big step in that sense.

Honestly, I don't think most people have the money to buy a Birkin... isn't the average annual income for most families around $30K? I would be living very thriftily if that's all I could bring in.

I love tPF since it's a great escape and lets me enjoy bags without feeling guilt/lack of understanding from people who aren't bag people! But from what I've seen here, I think we are generally in the higher earning brackets which allows us to enjoy a few more luxuries.

That being said - I don't pinch pennies for bags, but I keep it in moderation since I have a PHH!

Honestly, I don't think most people have the money to buy a Birkin... isn't the average annual income for most families around $30K? I would be living very thriftily if that's all I could bring in.

Pretty sure the average family income is well above 30K, somewhere in the 50-70 range. And if a person in a family that made this amount of income wanted to purchase a birkin, I think that they could do it pretty easily, although they couldn't splurge in quite the way a lot of people could, if you had kids and such. Hell, it's all about making sacrifices in the first place. Don't take vacations, put money towards your bag, don't get $200 dye jobs, put $$$ towards your bag.

And I don't think everyone here is necessarily in a "higher earning bracket". As I said, average income families are just as able to make luxury purchases, just not in as copious amounts as a lot of people.

hmm, well, DH and i are way over the $50-70K threshold (not rich by any stretch, though...esp. living in the bay area, LOL!), but it would still take some serious decisions...it's def. not something i could do without some planning. as a PP said, it's prioritizing & making sure it makes sense for you - deciding that you get a bag instead of a vacation, or something like that. in my case, i'd have to convince my DH that the "we" fund could chip in, because the "me" fund would take way too long to add up to H, and i'm too impatient for that. :roflmfao:

i got a great bonus last year (big case finally settled), and used it to take my DH and i to europe. if i got one again, i'd buy a birkin. but, at least for me, it would take something like that....a big chunk of cash coming in all at once. i suck at saving up! LOL

I don't know if I would necessary sacrifice family time, such as vacations, in order to save for a bag. That's just silly. I can probably give up my daily Starbucks but that's about it.:lol:

I don't know if I would necessary sacrifice family time, such as vacations, in order to save for a bag. That's just silly. I can probably give up my daily Starbucks but that's about it.:lol:

hah my parent's have never been big on expensive vacations; we're pretty content just going up to Beaufort, N.C. once during the summer and that's it now ^^ Every family is different, though. I can sacrifice vacations and such easily, but spoiling my Chihuahuas with toys and treats...can't stop, lol

true, 6k is a lot for a bag and for me is a pretty major purchase. that said, i don't have expensive nights out, or spend loads on latest designer clothes. i think back at all the "IT" bags i bought (and have sold to buy hermes) and can still see myself using a birkin and or kelly in 10 years time, wheras a lot of my "NOW" designer stuff maybe not so. i'm saving for a birkin and won't put myself in debt to buy a bag especially as i have a young baby. i also look upon hermes as an investment purchase as even if i did have to sell a bag in futue it pretty much holds up value for re-sale, wheras some other bags wouldn;t.

Pretty sure the average family income is well above 30K, somewhere in the 50-70 range. And if a person in a family that made this amount of income wanted to purchase a birkin, I think that they could do it pretty easily, although they couldn't splurge in quite the way a lot of people could, if you had kids and such. Hell, it's all about making sacrifices in the first place. Don't take vacations, put money towards your bag, don't get $200 dye jobs, put $$$ towards your bag.

And I don't think everyone here is necessarily in a "higher earning bracket". As I said, average income families are just as able to make luxury purchases, just not in as copious amounts as a lot of people.

I don't think that's an easy income to get a Birkin with - I think most people buying these bags make a couple of hundred thousand a year and have over a million in assets - I'm guessing over 400k, because I know lots of attorneys who are making about 200k and none of them would consider a Birkin, even the ones married to other attorneys. 50-70 really isn't much, after taxes, rent/mortgage, retirement savings, food, student loans, car/transportation costs, clothing...
Now if you want to spend your money on the bag, that's your choice, I'm just guessing averages.