Do you feel safe carrying expensive handbags?

DC is a funny place i got told on when i had given out over thirty dollars, in one day, on a class trip in the 8th grade. I had to walk with a chaperone the remainder of the trip. I had never seen anything like that, being originally from a small town. I didn't realize the fraud part of it.

Well, as a friend of mine who is the son of a cop always said, "opportunity enables crime." Interpret that how you want.

When I travel abroad I stay discreet and don't carry anything flashy. I may feel 'blah' without certain jewelry, shoes or bags but I know I'm probably going to stand out as a tourist no matter how hard I try to blend in and the more non-descript the better.

Yes, when going into rougher neighborhoods I do stick with more nondescript things too and always, no matter where I am, project a confidence when I walk down the street, even if I am lost and have no idea where I am. Works like a charm.

I have been robbed b/f...so I do think about this alot....

I only wear good jewlery when I go to certain places....and I buy less logoed bags for the visability factor but most importantly....I try to be aware of my surroundings.....

When I was robbed, I did not have anything designer.....I do think that it is opportunity that the robber sees...whether it be place, time or noticablity of possessions......:s

I live in a small resort town with no shopping and nightlife.Which drives me crazy but after reading the posts about all the scary stuff, maybe thats not such a bad thing. I've never even thought about my bags as a safety issue.Ya'll really made me think because no place is crime free.

I don't usually feel unsafe, even the rare occasion I'm in an unsafe area. . . .

This is me too! I have a false sense of security.... Not good at all.... I had dinner with a friend. Afterwards we went to Chinatown (my suggestion) for some pastries. Along the way, my friend was acting visably shaken. It was then I realized it was not a particularly good area that we were in. Nothing happened but it opened my eyes to how oblivious I can be at times....

One of my teachers had a friend held at gunpoint in midtown. He demanded her croc Manolos. So some people do know designer goods. It's also relatively easy to sell on eBay....

I have been robbed b/f...so I do think about this alot....

I only wear good jewlery when I go to certain places....and I buy less logoed bags for the visability factor but most importantly....I try to be aware of my surroundings.....

When I was robbed, I did not have anything designer.....I do think that it is opportunity that the robber sees...whether it be place, time or noticablity of possessions......:s

I agree....

Quick thinking with the cell phone. I would worry about public transportation and expensive things. When we travel to places where we will be taking public transportation, or lower economys I leave my jewlrey and bags at home.

When I carry my designer purses (it's only COACH!) I feel like someone is going to rob me if I am walking on the street or at the mall mainly because I'm pretty small. People tend to gawk at it because it's white. So, I'm just wondering if anyone else feels this way when carrying your thousands of dollar or even 300$ Coach purse like me?

All thoughts are welcomed. :smile:

Threatened? No way. Ii doesn't even enter my mind, but, then again, I don't carry $5K bags. IDK, it sounds like maybe you're being a bit self-conscious about your bag(s).

I know what you mean. I feel this way when walking through some neighborhoods, but I live in a big city and street crime is common. I never feel that way in a mall, though. And I only worry when I'm carrying a > 2k bag or a lot of cash.

I agree that some self defense classes might be a good idea. Might make you feel more confident.

LoL No. Most don't know my designer bags are designer and if it was Coach I wouldn't be too concerned since there's so many people carrying Coach it wouldn't make a big difference. The LV maybe but there's so many fake ones I don't know if anyone would even assume it's real, sadly.

threatened?? never even when walking thru some pretty rough NY areas, when I'm in NYC I see women with $5-20k bags all over and they never looked worried even at night, the bag doesn't mark you as someone to rob necessarily most thieves can' tell real from fake, they look for other signs

to me this is an issue you need to work on, I don't think self defense is going to help either because it's your perception of others and your self.