Do you feel odd/weird when carrying a $2000+ bag to the office?

1. :drool:

I ask the question because I'm a 47 year old Psychologist, have worked in the same clinic for the last 8 years but still wonder..."I'm I being watched or judged"?

Are my bags being visually authenticated with every glance?

I just wondered if anyone else questions which bags to take to the office based on what others may think, "she spends too much on bags", or "could she possibly spend that much on bags or are some of them fakes?

Just wondered...:wlae:

2. For starters, I think that 90 percent of the people in my office, or even those I see on the street, have no knowledge whatsoever about designer handbags and no idea how much they cost.

IMO, its important to have self-confidence and not worry about being judged by others. If you get pleasure and enjoyment from having a nice handbag, whether it cost $200 or $2,000, that's your business.

3. i don't care... i carry any of my bags anywhere i want.

4. Thanks! My sentiments!

5. :roflmfao::roflmfao::roflmfao: am sorry, but I think it's hilarious that a Psychologist can have handbag issues/insecurities!

Anyway back to the original Question - I don't carry a designer bag to the office - I don't have a choice - issue handbag or issue rucksack only. When I'm on my own personal time out with colleagues/friends or on my own then no it doesn't bother me at all, I wear/carry what I feel comfortable with and what makes me feel good.

6. I agree with the consensus...my purses are my favorite thing to wear, so I wear what I want. Plus at work there are so many restrictions on attire, that I am thankful purses are not one of them. :p

AND most people (besides us who are OBSESSSSSED) really cannot tell the difference between fakes and reals!! :yes:

NO WORRIES! ;)

7. I work hard, make my own money and decide how to spend. It is no other's business. I don't care other people judgements since this is my life, not theirs. Also, loving handbag has no age or price difference. Everyone should enjoy what he/she has earned.

8. As a fellow 40-something...we've EARNED IT, sister!! :yahoo:

Don't you love how your bag is the perfect finishing touch to your outfit? My last consulting engagement was in a very business casual IT environment, so if I wore slacks rather than jeans that was dressing up.

I carried all my bags with pride and they look great with dark denim, a casual sweater or cute blouse depending on the season and great shoes.

So no, I never questioned whether people noticed or even cared. And if they had a problem with it, they obviously needed to get back to their desk and work, lol!!!

9. A couple of my co-workers tell me straight to my face how stupid I am for buying any bag over $25 but I don't let it get to me. It's my money & I can do whatever I want with it. I love carrying my designer bags...even to the office.

10. I for one (as an insane purse collector) love to see actual designer handbags in the workplace, and not the tons of cheap fakes that I tend to encounter.

11. Honestly, no I don't think you or any of us should feel weird. That being said, I find myself feeling weird when I wear an obvious designer item. People don't look twice at LV epi but tend to STARE at LV Mono, KWIM?

I also get a lot of unwanted comments from my MIL & PITA SIL, who act like "OH, LOOOOK,...just annoying & snobby.

So, no I don't think you should feel weird, but I can understand when you do.

Last time I saw my MIL I told her "I buy things for me & don't care & would actually prefer if nobody ever knew the label or the price. I buy them for me, NOT anybody else". That seemed to keep her quiet.

12. I used to feel very well about taking my designer bags to campus (I am a college professor at a public institution) until one day a student came into my office, looked at my bag and said: I can pay the tuition of one semester with the money you spent on that bag ....

For YEARS I stopped carrying designer bags to school until this past semester when I decided that was it. So now I teach on Jimmy Choos and carry my balenciaga or marc jacobs ... I guess I work very hard and I deserve to wear whatever I like.

13. It just depends on who you work with. i personally would carry whatever I bought but if you work with the types that like to ask question after question it gets annoying after a while

14. I think most people have no clue what they cost, so I don't think much about it.

15. That's what I was thinking.