Do you dress up to go to the Hermes store?

Half the time, I go in sweats with no H bag either. I wouldn't recommend doing so though unless you've been going there for almost 20 yrs. Still, the newbie SAs almost always avoid me or ignore me. If my current SA transfers to another H store, I think I'm screwed.;)

I had a slightly unpleasant experience in Hermes today, actually, and I think it was based on two things: what I was wearing and my youth (I'm 25).

I'd received a scarf as a gift from a client but I felt that it was too old for me so I took it in to exchange. I was wearing nice jeans and top, my Chloe bag, and nice flip flops/jewelry. I didn't look like a millionaire, but I didn't look like a bum, either. However, the clerk I initially spoke with was disdainful and rude to the extreme. She barely spoke to me and acted like I was trash under her feet. She asked if I'd seen anything I liked and I said I was looking for the moment.

She brought me my store credit and couldn't have walked away fast enough.

I wandered around the store for a bit because I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted (well, beyond a Birkin, which I can't afford!!!!) and ended up back at the scarf counter. This time, a very lovely woman asked if I needed help, had suggestions based on what I said I wanted it for, and I ended up a very happy customer with a beautiful Belles du Mexique scarf. I even bought a bracelet, though I hadn't planned on spending a lot of money there!

I just wish that first lady was nice to me because it did sour my overall experience. I don't have a lot of disposable income now (25 and in an arts job in NYC) but there was no reason for her to treat me so poorly. She's a clerk for crying out loud! Anyway, just wanted to vent. It apparently can make a difference what you wear and how you're treated.

Thats a shame she treated you that way its her problem! and not at all yours I think these sort of peope are everywhere just ignore it, am so pleased the other SA acted as she should and obviously had a lot more class.

I dress in city clothes when in London but practical also as I have to walk a lot so four inch Hermes shoes I cant wear ..

I dont do jeans at all only in the country so usually a smart coat , sensible shoes etc as my pull along trolley bag has to go everywhere with me and it makes my SA smile everytime I turn up at H, with it ( must of travelled miles that bag)

When I go into say H+M or Zara etc I get really rude SA,s so it works in reverse sort of thing.

Am pleased you treated yourself to a bracelet dare I say photos please

:yes:

I always go in looking presentable, with an H bag and/or H accessories on. I've gone in wearing jeans, but still neat and clean....and with a smile.

I'm not working right now, and around home if I make it out of PJs, it's a good day;) (I'm exaggerating, but only slightly - in grad school one day I wore nice jeans and my friend asked me why I was "dressed up"). I do have a lot of nice work and going-out clothes, and when I go shopping at any high-end shops I tend to dress well, but this is more for me than for "them"; it makes the shopping day feel more special and that's part of the fun.

allyj128 - sorry about that first SA. ugh. Of course, she may have just been a b*tch, but you're right, I definitely think age is a major factor. I'm 33, but probably look young for my age. I got married at 29, engaged at 28, and I noticed a difference at some stores/with some SAs when I got a ring that I attribute to more than simply wearing a diamond and the purely financial implications. I think that in their eyes, being engaged/married implied age and stability. Unfortunately, I'd also bet that many of them are still holding on to the idea that a married woman has money (her husband's!) to spend, which really p*sses me off. Sorry for the rant:smile:

My store know me and I confess I do go in looking slightly shambolic from time to time - it doesn't help that it rains quite a lot in Manchester! If you are on a buying expedition I'd recommend clean and neat but you don't have to pretend you're going to the opera. If you feel anyone is being a bit rude or 'off' with you always hit back with patience and super-politeness and stand you're ground. Never had a problem at H ( except in their concession at Harrods where I suspect I got a raw deal because I wasn't wearing orange foundation and a lot of gold jewellery LOL) though.

I don't know anything Hermes so I am not a familiar face at the boutiques. On a recent trip to Hong Kong I wandered into the H boutique in Central practically as soon as I got off the plane. I was in jeans, a black shirt, ballet flats, and was carrying a YSL Muse. The staff was very nice and helpful. They even brought out a 40cm Kelly for me to look at. I also had a pleasant experience at the NY Madison boutique. Walked in wearing almost exactly the same outfit.

Nah, I don't dress up when I go to Hermes stores. Just dress tidy and neat. I wear jeans most of the time. It's doesn't worry me one bit.

If the SA choose to be snobbish, find another one who will help you. You are the customer and the customer is the king, ain't it?

I've read the comments and now it's 2022 and these boutiques are more competitive. When you visit your boutique, would you still wear your Hermes items every time or just from time to time?

I shouldn't be stressing about this subject but I am.. because.. after shopping for 8 years only from a distance with an SA who sends me things I request.. and online.. I am finally going to the boutique for the first time! I wear my shawls almost every day regardless of weather so I will for sure wear one of those and just dress comfortably for me: jeans, a cashmere sweater, and converse.

@Honeyc92 , my H SA compliments my dior RTW, so wear your H stuff whenever you want.

i was nervous for my appt in Paris FSH (to the point where I drove my DH crazy and almost thought of cancelling.
i wore the type of thing I normally wear. Since Covid, I probably dress more even to go run errands lol. I like RTW, not necessarily only H, so I dress. That’s normal for me. Other people wear jeans, sweats.

Sometimes it’s nice for your SA to see you wear something from them (just as appreciation)

there is a more recent thread that does discuss what to wear among other topics

in the Paris Thread, @maxroxxherhandbags put it well, dress nicely, but you aren’t about to meet your prospective husband lol

Stores havent changed all that much. some of us have SAs who are the same or at least knew our old SA (the latter my situation)

Last edited: