Do you count your calories?

1. Hi
    I’m planning to start a low calorie diet, how do you guys count the daily intake of calories?
    I mean do you write everything you eat then do the calculation or you plan ahead every day?
    I do all the cooking in my house, and we go out for dinner 2 to 3 times a week. What should I do?
    And if you want to lose some weight how many calories do consume every day? Do go lower than the recommended 1200 cal day? And how many do you consume when you maintaining your weight?

2. I don't write it down and calculate fanatically, but I try to do some mental arithmetics and try and make sure I don't go over a certain amount, but as long as I otherwise eat healthy, that comes before everything :yes:

3. No, but I did teach them how to spell.

I also do a mental calculation in my head as to approximatley how much to eat to stay below 1500 calories (for me, I'm not active at all) a day. Personally I feel like there are too many variables in each person's lifestyle to say every person should only consume so many (it's what, 2000 calories a day they suggest now?) each day. I've consumed 1000 calories a day and gained weight, I've also consumed 3000 when I was younger and lost weight.

Everyone is different I guess.

If you dine out that often, watch your portions. Fried foods and fatty foods are the worse, as well as creamy dressings. Alcohol is empty calories, limit that intake. A nice brisk walk after dinner helps too. Try to eat fish and chicken when you dine out too.

Check online to find the foods with the least amount of calories and trans fats. My brother is a diabetic and he learned trans fats and sugar grams consumption was the worse thing he could do, and just cutting back on soda and stopping all excess fats helped him lose about 30 pounds in less than 5 months. He also snacks on things like grapes, dried unsugared fruits and veggie sticks.

4. Yes, I do write everything down. I have a little booklet called the Calorie King that I got from www.amazon. com

It's small and handy.

I try and stick to 1650 calories per day, but honestly, that is very difficult for me. My average is really about 1750.

I don't know how many calories a person should eat, but I was given this recommendation by a nutritionist based on my activity level, height, weight, etc.

5. When I was in "weight loss mode" I used slimfast.com and it worked pretty well for me. If you put in your stats, activity level and weight loss goals it is give you a suggested daily calorie intake. I was doing 1300 cal/day and when I started working out it went to 1500 cal/day. I've also heard good things about fitday.com's food calculator.

6. Honestly I don't think it's healthy to count them obsessively. Once you strats it's IME very hard to stop. I still do it subconciously all the time, even when I dont' give it any thought or shouldn't "care" I ALWAYS read the calories and nutrition religiously on any product.

Based on this and some of my friends experiencing similar thoing I'd rather advice you to stay away from carbs and fat meat/diary products and forget about cals. It seriously can mess with your head. :s

Especially if you're a little too perfectionistic, and can make 500 or less cals a day sound rational and healthy after a while.

7. Do you mind my asking your height and weight??

8. I'm 5'4 and weigh about 130 lbs. I'm fairly active.

9. Yup.....when I first started out, I did manually jot down my calories consumed, but now I just take a mental note and like all things in life that you do so VERY often....it just becomes a habit and part of your routine.
    I think it's very beneficial to do this when you're starting your lifestyle change cuz honestly, it's not a diet......diet sounds too temporary. Managing ones weight is a lifetime commitment.
    The secret is pretty simple....for most people, in order to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you consume....that's why people look at 1200-1500 calories as a starting benchmark. I've read in many places that an average, inactive women burns around 1500 calories a day. So, if you want to loose weight - cut down on the calories OR become MORE active and burn more calories. It's best to do both, of course.
    If you're older - let's say over 40.....your calorie burn slows down.....so, more than likely, one needs to consume less calories.
    BUT - eating the right foods is also key.
    I've found this website to be helpful.....www.sparkpeople.com
    There's a place on the site where you can put in all of your "vital" info and it asks about your weight loss goals and timeframe. It will calculate a recommended caloric intake for you.

I'm 47, a tad shorter than 5", weight 111 and am somewhat of a gym-rat....AND my caloric intake averages around 1500 calories a day.
    As a point of reference: I can spin (indoor biking class) for 1.5 hours and burn around 525 calories. (am older, so I don't burn the calories as fast as well and I am physically fit, so it's not so taxing on my system). BUT.....that's the caloric equivalent of three cookies!!!! Pretty sobering, isn't it?????

10. I count points like Weight Watchers does but I don't write it down anymore. I used to write them down when I was really trying to lose but now I'm basically maintaining and doing okay counting in my head.

11. when I was trying to slim down, I counted calories and wrote them down. There are lots of websites to help you out (http://www.calorieking.com/), all you need to do is weigh everything before you eat it, to help get an as accurate **** as possible. I also joined a website where I put in everything I ate every day (it'd be okay to miss a day here and there) and it'd give you an overview over how you were doing and draw graphs etc. to show you your progress. This was a few years ago, and joining the website wasn't free, but I think you can join similar sites for free now ?

12. Calorie counting can really consume your life. I never got into it and really do not care about how many calories are in what I eat. I try to eat substantial portions of good food 5 times a day :yes:

13. ^ I've used fitday.com. My sister likes spark people, which is the same sort of thing. Calorie King is also good for looking up nutritional info...

I used to count calories religiously and I lost a TON of weight doing it, but psychologically it wasn't healthy for me... I've had juvenile diabetes most of my life (NOT the kind you get from being overweight or having an unhealthy diet; it's an auto-immune disease), so I've always had to be ultra aware of what I ate. It makes you obsessed with food whether you like it or not. But actually recording the calories really made me obsessive about it... I got to the point where I wouldn't eat because I didn't want to see those tallies go up. I'm in my 20's, active, 5'7 / size medium, but I was only eating like 500 calories most days :s...

I personally do better when I exercise a lot and eat what I want when I'm hungry...

14. I've always counted cals, even if I do it unconsiously. Its a habit I formed while in H.S. I recently gained a few pounds and started counting religiously and have lost them. I've stuck to 1400-1600 and in about 7 weeks lost 4-5 lbs. Doesn't sound like much but I was never hungry and pretty much ate what I want. To me counting calories works. I mean you take in so much and burn so much, bottom line.