Do you compliment people even if you do not mean it?

Hahahaha the big instance I can think of is with babies. If you're presented with someone's kid, you can't say nothing because every parent thinks their kid is beautiful, and even if it looks like "a dingo ate your baby" you still have to say something nice about the little fugling.

If asked for my direct opinion on things like clothes, I usually tend to be honest but polite because those are things people can change.

Holy Crap that had me giggling! :roflmfao:

I am not one to tell people there kid is cute when the fact is - he/she isn't. I try to only say sincere compliments. But, I will make a point to find something to compliment the person on. In most cases you can usually find something. Even if it is little - it means more because it is heartfelt.

Hahahaha the big instance I can think of is with babies. If you're presented with someone's kid, you can't say nothing because every parent thinks their kid is beautiful, and even if it looks like "a dingo ate your baby" you still have to say something nice about the little fugling.

If asked for my direct opinion on things like clothes, I usually tend to be honest but polite because those are things people can change.

Jillybean, you are hilarious!!! "fugling":roflmfao:

I do compliment people when I don't mean it sometimes, I thought everyone did! If someone makes a point to bring something up, or its something really obvious...how can you just say nothing? With my friend I am very honest though.

I find after coming to the US that Americans give out compliments and invitations very profusely and insincerely as compared to South Asians. It sometimes leads to culture clashes -do i compliment my student and say he did a good job when he didn't? Do I really believe my friend when she looks at me and says "you look great in that outfit" when my son (who's pretty honest) told me "mom, those pants make you look really fat!"?

I always try to say something nice when I see someone I know, and there is usually something nice to say about just about everyone without being insincere.

Even if it is something as simple as telling someone that is running around in their gym clothes that it looks like they have been working out:P

ITA.

sometimes, if it is something special...like a really expensive handbag, or something that means a lot to the person....just because it isn't my taste, i can still appreciate their style, and the effort they put into it.

if it is something just ugly, no.

-complimenting when you might not really mean what you say is the same as a white lie- it keeps the world civilised- there is no harm in it, nothing vindictive, and nothing false, as long as it isn't an out and out lie. Everyone involved feels better from the exchange. It is like asking someone how they are when you really aren't that interested- it is good manners.

(I agree with the earlier comments that we can always find SOMETHING nice to say, so it shouldn't be a bare faced lie!)

I don't compliment, unless it is family. well, maybe a friend, but just maybe. if something comes up, I will comment if I really like whatever is subject of conversation. as with children: I do not compliment, whether I find the baby 'pretty' by whatever standards or not. well, with kids, for me they are always cute just bec they are a child - I am 'pure at heart' like that :P. both hubby and I come from backgrounds where we believe in the evil eye - so best not to talk about anything good as it may turn sour or arise jealousy.

I can't give a compliment I don't mean - and the person that gets it will most of the times figure out it is really meant. (I can always tell).

no .. if i have nothing nice to say i just wont say anything at all!

if im giving a complement then it's definitely sincere!

i do complement a lot though .. i try to see good in people, so maybe that's why??

but on the other hand .. im pretty blunt and if asked a question ill tell ya the truth whether u want u here it or not.