Do Parisians wear Hermes?

i like the idea of "eclectic" look...i think it shows individuality. i do mix and match (levi's jeans, old navy t-shirt, with H scarf/bag for example), but i wish i could be less boring and more creative like the young parisians.

LoL I only realised now how long and somehow off-topic my post is! I'm sorry!

My point was: average Parisians do wear Hermès, but they wear it as they wear Zara. Once again, I'm talking about under 30 Parisians... 30++ wear Hermès in a more conscious way though!

Hi H Prince, (waving back), would love to see what milanese could make you look short and unfashionable -- that's impossible :smile: Re your Zara point, is it that they wear H and don;t allow H to overshadow them? Do you think the Zara point allows them to better express unique optimal aesthetic for H?

I don't see as much H when I am in Paris, but even though I'm a right bank person, I don;t spend much time in Place Vendome. On the UES of NY, you see tons of birkins, some real, lots fake, worn in a very matronly way (or in a way that shouts "see birkin) even when the person is younger.

By the way, I decided to delete the post because i expressed myself OT ; I was trying to communicate my opinion only on regular urban dressing and my thoughts flowed to comparison of cities-- I guess us H wearing or H inspired/obsessed people are somewhat rare breed.

Love your description of the family of four!

2) If so, what do they wear: Birkins? Kellys? Newer style bags? Scarves? And does this vary by district/arr. and age?

The Hermès Scarves and bags are not cool if you're under 40. That's just the way it is. Hermès is not really the most popular brand out there and is considered very snobbish, elitist and not very modern. Ladylike...

Chanel is a different story. It’s still considered an eternally young brand, and is not totally associated with « ladylike » fashion, unless meant to.
Same with Dior.

Last edited:
3) Parisians, please chime in on current parisian style? What are popular brands? My impression from being there is that young parisians really dress differently from older ones, with the younger set going for H&M/Zara/APC while the older set goes for what Americans would recognize as "iconic" french brands.

The « hot » brands in Paris right now :
- Veja shoes (ecological trainers)
- Sandro, Maje, APC, Zadig & Voltaire and Comptoir des Cotonniers (designer chain stores). Each season, one of these gets significanlty more popular than the others. It's designer, but not luxury. It's just what the market wants...
- « Independant » designers > . Independant designer shops can be found at the locations i mentioned earlier, small streets only.
- Gaspard Yurkevitch High-heels
- Feiyue traditionnal chinese kung-fu shoes (cheap yet HUGE)
- Couples fashion (The boy and the girl adopt a similar style, The Kooples being the first place to offer these «rock chic» matching clothes)

It’s better to adopt something cool, new and not famous yet, unless it totally fits your style. The cool place to buy such accessories is COLETTE, rue Saint-Honoré. Colette has the latest in fashion selected from both the most notorious brands (Dior...) and new designers.

Now, about mix and match. Some clothes are here to stay, and are essential. Some are just here to match. You’ll probably buy these from Zara because you will probably not wear them much past this season.
So it's considered disposable fashion, but not "cheap" at all, everyone buys from Zara...

Your style decides what you should buy, opposite « my buys define my style, now look at my LV ^^ »

Hope it helps...
My blog about fashion :
leblogsac.unblog.fr

Reactions: marzipanchen
I met my first Hermes wearing Parisian friend decades ago when I lived in a small city in upstate New York. She had a Constance and a Kelly. At the time she told me that the bags were worn open so that the Hermes name would show and that fact had me speechless! She pulled them out of her closet to show me how it was done. At the time I had Hermes scarves, but no handbag. I put the info away for future use LOL!

The « hot » brands in Paris right now :
- Veja shoes (ecological trainers)
- Sandro, Maje, APC, Zadig & Voltaire and Comptoir des Cotonniers (designer chain stores). Each season, one of these gets significanlty more popular than the others. It's designer, but not luxury. It's just what the market wants...
- « Independant » designers > . Independant designer shops can be found at the locations i mentioned earlier, small streets only.
- Gaspard Yurkevitch High-heels
- Feiyue traditionnal chinese kung-fu shoes (cheap yet HUGE)
- Couples fashion (The boy and the girl adopt a similar style, The Kooples being the first place to offer these «rock chic» matching clothes)

It’s better to adopt something cool, new and not famous yet, unless it totally fits your style. The cool place to buy such accessories is COLETTE, rue Saint-Honoré. Colette has the latest in fashion selected from both the most notorious brands (Dior...) and new designers.

Now, about mix and match. Some clothes are here to stay, and are essential. Some are just here to match. You’ll probably buy these from Zara because you will probably not wear them much past this season.
So it's considered disposable fashion, but not "cheap" at all, everyone buys from Zara...

Your style decides what you should buy, opposite « my buys define my style, now look at my LV ^^ »

Hope it helps...
My blog about fashion :
leblogsac.unblog.fr

Soldano, very interesting insight! Keep it coming!:tup:

It depends on the age group. Most Parisiens will say that Hermes is for old ladies or their grand mere. You will see young people wearing Hermes scarves but they don't buy them; they wear their mothers and usually in a way much more branche.

For the French and the Parisian 'bon ton' the Kelly is the creme de la creme. The Birkin is just another Hermes bag but a Kelly is a Kelly.

And carrying bags by handles rather than by shoulder straps is sooooo French - why carry a wonderful accessory when it ruins the line of your clothes? The French just wouldn't do it unless it was a dire emergency! Sadly I'm lumpy and English so can't put that discipline into practice - ha ha ha.

Reactions: pjhm
The French people love luxury. And certainly the luxury from their own country! Think on brands like Hermès, Chanel, Louis Vuitton. They are all French. France was always the country of luxury. If you look in the past, we see the kings and queens of France with luxury goods, like Marie-Antoinette. Now these days Parisians love to be discreet on the streets. So they were rather a Kelly bag than a Louis Vuitton Alma. Louis Vuitton is known as a regular brand in Paris. Everyone knows what it is, and almost everyone has some items.

Hermès is for Parisians some kind of timeless discreet ellegance. Everyone knows a Kelly Bag is from Hermès, but it doesn't screem Hermès, you understand? Parisians just love this. This is very exclusive to Paris. In the rest of France there aren't a lot of city's where people buy these kind of things except city's as Nice, Lille, Saint-Tropez etc.

I always say, you never see people wearing an whole Chanel outfit from the haute couture-collection cause it's not appropriate to wear it (that's my rule for European countries, I live in Holland haha), cause it's too excessive. In Paris you can! And sometimes, you see someone wearing it!

In Holland where I live, people don't really care about exclusive brands like Hermès or Chanel. We have a very very tiny street where you can buy Hermès in a little Hermès store, Chanel in a store where there are just 4 dresses or something haha.

Also, the French side of Belgium loves these kind of things. In a city like Brussel, you see a lot of Birkins ;)

Excuse the ignorance, what's a "bobo"?

1) Do Parisians wear Hermes nowadays?
Yes, they do. Hermes is the ultimate brand of French chic for French women and men, and gets passed from generation to generation.

2) If so, what do they wear: Birkins? Kellys? Newer style bags? Scarves? And does this vary by district/arr. and age?
If you go to Paris 16e, 8e, 7e, 1er and to Neuilly, you are bound to see a lot of Birkins and Kellys (older ladies tend to prefer the Kellys, younger ones wear a mix of new models / colours and old vintage inherited bags) but also trims and constances, and amongst the trendier set you will see some evelynes.
H Scarves are a style staple of the French woman, and you will find them everywhere. And belts. And watches.
For men, H ties are a must, and so are belts and watches.

3) Parisians, please chime in on current parisian style? What are popular brands?
I was born in Paris and lived there 6 years as a young adult. I still go there all the time, French DH oblige. My favourite brands are Zadig & Voltaire (like most french bobos), Comptoir des Cotonniers, and DVF. For shoes it is Louboutin, Jimmy Choo and FreeLance (a french brand).
Older ladies go for more classic trends, big brands or not.

The new french first lady, Carla Bruni, certainly loves her Hermes. She prefers the Petite Ceinture tote instead of a Birkin and has the newer, flat Kelly, she also has a few others including a gorgeous Constance (check out the Socialites and their Hermes thread).

I think the women you see carrying a Birkin in the ritzy areas are more than likely to be foreign visitors. One of the things I've noticed with French women is that the older they get, the smaller their bags become. Teenagers love the big Gerard Darels and the Longchamp nylon tote bags, but the older women don't like schlepping big schlumpy bags. At least, that's my observation.

^^Really? I love bigger bags and always will. I thought everyone from college kids to grandmothers carried GD bags.

quite a few of my french friends appear to own one Kelly, two maximum, but carry Victoria's as a preferred daily bag, and then they seem to like those offbeat embroidered brocade sort of pieces from Etro too