Do most people in Chicago have cars?

Yeah, rent.com has pretty good listings, and the Chicago Reader's are pretty good, too: http://www.chireader.com.
There's lots of stuff available in Wicker Park/Bucktown, but I find that neighborhood to be even less accessible by public transport because fewer buses run all night there. That might just be an issue for me, though. :smile:

It's really just hard to find parking in those areas. I lived in the South loop where it's less congested and it was never a problem. Although somone took the sunroof lid from my car one night.:blink:

If your friend will be working in Hyde Park, she will probably need a car as the commute from anywhere to the UofC is not exactly direct. If she takes the train from Lincoln Park, she will need to get off and switch to a bus, or she can take bus from LP to LSD then take school shuttle to UofC. Keep in mind that weather is extreme, very hot and very cold, not fun to be using public transportation in middle of summer or winter. BTW, I attended UofC as an undergrad.

You guys might want to take a another look at downtown/near lake instead of the Northside.

$1500 for a two-bedroom is pretty high, you are looking in some pricey areas. I agree with looking in the Reader. They have recently updated the housing for rent section so pictures and add'l info can now be included. It is the only paper I advertise rentals in.

Thank you so much, ladies! You're so sweet!

I am iffy about living with her because I do understand the commute from the north to south can be long and painful! I looked at some places downtown but they were all out of our budget. I am kind of afraid she's going to back out at the last minute when she does finally admit that it's too far of a commute! We'll see, however.

Thanks again, everyone!

pidgeon92 said:
$1500 for a two-bedroom is pretty high, you are looking in some pricey areas. I agree with looking in the Reader. They have recently updated the housing for rent section so pictures and add'l info can now be included. It is the only paper I advertise rentals in.

It's been my experience that around $1200 is pretty fair for a decent two bedroom, especially if you're in a roommate situation and not a relationship situation. $1500 is a little high, but it can be much, much higher than that, esp in Lincoln Park and the Gold Coast. I agree that finding something in the south loop area might make commuting and car ownership a bit better, particularly if your friend will be going to Hyde Park. You might also want to look in some of the less expensive up-and-coming neighborhoods like Pilsen and Ukranian Village. Parking's easier and they're closer to downtown and Hyde Park than Lincoln Park is.

I asked some people I know at U Chicago about Wicker Park/Bucks town and they really had nothing nice to say about the area. Among their descriptions were "kinda dirty" and "hipster." And those were the better descriptions! I will definitely look into it for myself, however, if the rent will be significantly cheaper than Lincoln Park/Gold Coast. Thanks for the recommendation!

I agree with them. Until maybe 3-4 years ago it was not a desirable place to live but the city has transformed and all the neighborhoods have been revived, but some parts are still seedy.

Downtown is not much cheaper than Lincoln park but the apts are newer or brand new and larger. You really need to visit the area to decide. Each neighborhood has a different sense and feel.

There's also a bunch of apt around UIC/Halsted ...Halsted runs through Lincoln Park all the way through the Southside. UIC is Univ of IL at Chicago.

happy1 said:
I agree with them. Until maybe 3-4 years ago it was not a desirable place to live but the city has transformed and all the neighborhoods have been revived, but some parts are still seedy.

Downtown is not much cheaper than Lincoln park but the apts are newer or brand new and larger. You really need to visit the area to decide. Each neighborhood has a different sense and feel.

There's also a bunch of apt around UIC/Halsted ...Halsted runs through Lincoln Park all the way through the Southside. UIC is Univ of IL at Chicago.

Yes I used to live near there on ******* St. Its nice. Less congested. There are usually a lot of people renting out condo's/lofts over there. Printers Row is a nice area also.