Do brown shoes brown bag?

1. At the risk of sounding completely old fashioned, I have to ask this question: is it tacky to carry a black bag if I wear brown shoes?

I typically only carry black bags. Boring, I know, but true. I also typically only wear black shoes with my black bags. I recently branched out and got some new additions to my wardrobe, necessitating the purchase of brown shoes. I don't have any brown bags and while I know it's kind of an old fashioned rule, my brain keeps telling me that I need to get a brown bag to wear with them. It's not that I don't want to buy another bag - LOL - I just don't think I would use it very much.

What's the verdict? Can I wear my black bags with my brown shoes or should I pick up a brown bag to wear with them?

Thanks! :yes:
  2. Hmmmm, let me see......if I wear black shoes, I might choose a black, red, or any other colored bag except for brown. If I wear brown shoes, I will choose a brown, natural, beige or any other colored bag except black. Does that make sense? That's how I do it.
  3. I depends on the color of the brown bag that you are planning on carrying and the rest of your outfit. Sometimes you can pull it off, must mostly, no.
  4. I tend to go brown-brown or black-black or a color that goes with brown or black--like red or blue.
  5. NEVER would I wear black shoes with a black bag or vice versa. Then again, you are asking a group of people who own a LOT of bags. My suggestion would be to go buy a nice brown bag to go with your new brown outfits. Good excuse for another bag!:yes:

6. I agree.

I do sometimes carry a brown bag with black shoes, but that's outfit and color dependent....
  7. I am the same way - for the most part, no mixing brown and black for me. :yes:
  8. Thanks, everyone!! I think I knew the answer to my question before I posted but I was hoping that I was going to hear everyone say that I was a being neurotic. The thought of wearing a black bag with brown shoes really freaked me out and I see that the majority of people here feel the same way.

Okay, here are the shoes I bought:

I typically only wear neutrals (black, brown, red and tan and also wear blue a lot). I throw in some funky colors on top here and there but, if I do, I always wear black, tan or brown on the bottom. I was thinking about this bag, but in a slightly smaller size:

What do you think?
  9. Perfect bag and I agree with everyone else, you need a brown bag if only to wear with your black shoes. :whistle:
  10. those peep toes are cute!!! Talbots?
  11. the shoes and bag are cute! and i try and match brown-brown and black-black. i had the opposite problem--all black shoes.
  12. Thanks! Yes, Talbots! :yes:

I've never purchased Talbots shoes before so this is new for me. I purchase their clothing all the time (not many stores have a decent selection of petite clothing that doesn't look "old lady") so I figured I'd be okay with their shoes, too.

Thanks, again, everyone for all your help. I appreciate the input!