Divorce-HBO

Yeah, episode 2 imo is quite terrible. It's quite empty in plot.
Yes--there IS no plot. Even Frances' friends are meh. Who in the world green-lit this thing? You are given a half hour on HBO and this is it? The least Frances could have done is break the glass in the damn door to get in, sheesh.

Omg her husband is such an a$$hole. I agree the relationship with the kids is weird. They're like props, which I think might be kind of the point. The father threatened to turn them against their own mother out of spite. He is very clinical. He keeps referring to them as "the children." The mother tries to be a good mother and keep up appearances by dismissing or sugar coating things instead of being honest and dealing with them.

I usually love SJP, but this seems so miscast.
It needs either a husband I can actually see SJP with and fighting to save her marriage, or a broad comedy with Meliisa McCarthy instead. It's unwatchable like it is.

I concur. I think both SJP and Thomas Haden Church have zero chemistry. She had zero chemistry with the granola guy. The husband is a jerk. Even the guy she had an affair with was a jerk. I have don't care about these people at all. Perhaps if they cast someone more sympathetic as the husband, I might care. In fact the whole thing is extremely depressing. Not just the people, the clothes, the city. I thought Molly Shannon and her husband were amusing in the first episode. I think SJP must have made some deal with HBO, maybe to do with Sex and the City back in the day (or the movie) that they would green light a future pet project. That is the only thing I can think of as I cannot imagine a bunch of execs sitting around thinking "this is a great show"

Reactions: lulilu
This show sucks.
It is surely not funny at this point and since Winter is coming on the East Coast, it feels incredibly gloomy.
SJP's character is not coming thru for some reasons.
Better Things on FX with Pamela Adlon (previously on Californication) is my new adult show.
She is a better actress and the show is actually funny.

I'm still watching and I don't know what to think. I thought that episode 3 was much better than the first 2, but that's not saying much. I don't see any chemistry between Frances and Robert and find myself questioning why they were together in the first place. However, maybe that's the point?! I think the actor that is playing Robert is acting in a comedy, while SJP is acting in a drama and that makes for a confusing show.

The weather and colours just add to the overall depressing feel of the show, but it's about divorce so it makes sense.

I think for me I'm seeing it in a little bit of a different light because I went through a divorce. The moment in the counsellors office (after she is talking about her gallery), was huge for me because it felt real and it felt a lot like I experienced.

Reactions: limom
I'm still watching and I don't know what to think. I thought that episode 3 was much better than the first 2, but that's not saying much. I don't see any chemistry between Frances and Robert and find myself questioning why they were together in the first place. However, maybe that's the point?! I think the actor that is playing Robert is acting in a comedy, while SJP is acting in a drama and that makes for a confusing show.

The weather and colours just add to the overall depressing feel of the show, but it's about divorce so it makes sense.

I think for me I'm seeing it in a little bit of a different light because I went through a divorce. The moment in the counsellors office (after she is talking about her gallery), was huge for me because it felt real and it felt a lot like I experienced.
Thanks. I'll push through number 2 and get to this one and give it another chance.

I thought episode 3 was slightly better than the first 2. Yes, the gloomy weather just foretells what is coming for us in the Chicago area, and I certainly do not need to see snow/cold right now.

I agree, there is absolutely no chemistry between SJP and the husband, a totally wrong casting match. Even if this show wasn't about divorce, I would not like the husband, comes across as a needy jerk that is using SJP's affair as a way to cover his own loser life.

Since these newer TV shows don't have many episodes (I don't know what HBO gave this show and am too lazy to check) I don't know if there is enough time to turn this one around.

The husband is the absolute worst. There is not a single redeeming quality about him. But he is so absurd that he can be amusing. This episode was funny. We started to see some connection and complexity in their relationship in the end too.

Last edited: