Divorce-HBO

Yes, it did sort of remind me of Girls, but it is all off. One of the things that depressed me about it was the husband shoveling snow--and it looked like real snow on a cold day and since I live close to Chicago--all I could see was my very-soon future. :crybaby: But I will keep watching.

Reactions: WillstarveforLV
This plot develops quite quickly. I'm a little saddened to see "Carrie" not being happy you know what I mean?

The only reason I'm watching this show is because of SJP. Don't really care for anybody else. The story is a bit depressing (7 out of 10), but a REAL, REAL take on marriage and how hard it is to just live and stay coupled.

I will finish the first season. I can't say that I was awfully impressed though.

I'll keep watching. The change in her decision to want a divorce was so fast and coming off of the situation with the boyfriend doesn't make her look great. I hope the characters are complicated and they show some back story eventualy.

Reactions: Deco
I'd forgotten that THC was in it. I'll watch him watching paint dry any day. Love THC. I didn't think it was depressing, at least not unrealistically so. The show is called Divorce, so I expect downer themes and scenarios. But it also managed to have funny moments. I think THC is perfectly cast. He's someone who's mere presence is comedic, even when the lines he's delivering aren't funny. Interesting how they've made him look like a stodgy old fogey. I think of him as the oversexed goofy permanent adolescent.

What surprised me is that Frances, the main character, came across as a d*ck, only because she expressed her love for the Aussie, which turned out to be silly, and right after telling her husband she didn't love him, only to then do an about face with the husband after the Aussie snubbed her. Made her look sleezy and self centered, to the point I was siding with the husband when he locked her out.

I thought the first episode was realistic, showing how couples in failing marriages are, how cruel they can be to each other, and how things can turn on a dime.

Reactions: Grande Latte
Marriages are messy, especially faced with the possibility of divorce. There's no who's all right who's all wrong. It's all very blurred. I think this is what SJP is trying to capture in this new show.

You guys notice the fashion on this show? It's so muted. I wish to see more colors and fun. Aye.

Marriages are messy, especially faced with the possibility of divorce. There's no who's all right who's all wrong. It's all very blurred. I think this is what SJP is trying to capture in this new show.

You guys notice the fashion on this show? It's so muted. I wish to see more colors and fun. Aye.
Yes, true. Not depicting anyone as a saint or villain is one of the reasons why it seemed realistic. Not even the protagonist was whitewashed.
I think the muted colors is by design, to create a dour, hopeless mood. Even the cold and shoveling snow contributed to the mood.

I like SJP, so I watched, but I'm surprised they call this a comedy. I thought it was kind of miserable.

I dislike the husband, or do I dislike the actor. I'm not sure. I do know I hate that moustache.

For me, the problem was that Thomas Haden Church seemed to be going for broad comedy and SJP though she was acting in a drama. The whole thing was so off.

I'll give it one more attempt this Sunday.

^good point. Molly Shannon was also acting in a comedy while SJP was pure drama. Part of it is also how we see those actors. THC came across lighthearted comedic, even when saying he was going to ruin her life and make the children hate her. The show hasn't quit snuggled into its tone yet, but I think that's common in the first episode. There are exceptions, shows that nail the tone from the get to (dexter comes to mind), but even SATC was awkward at first.

I watched the 2nd episode, still not clicking for me yet but interesting enough so I will stay with it.

I also don't see anything remotely alluring about either the husband or the lover but maybe that's the way it is being written deliberately. Ok, husband/father changes the locks (which since he is a building contractor or something that would be easy & quick for him to do) but the kids don't wonder about this? Why is our mother locked out? They treat both kids like they are 5-year olds so maybe that's how they are, but even a 5-year old would wonder. SJP interactions with the kids is so fake and transparent--telling the daughter "don't you remember you wanted the raccoon as a pet?" I'm starting to think that SJP can only be Carrie forever.

Molly Shannon's husband looks like Dick Cheney to me.