Disney Goes On A Health Kick

1. [​IMG]

By TSC Staff, The Street.com
    Disney introduced a new policy regarding tie-ins that promote foods aimed at children, saying it will allow its name and characters to be used only with products meeting specific nutritional guidelines.

Every product that wants Disney involved will have to have limits on calories, fat, saturated fat and sugar, the company said Monday.
    Disney also plans to make the meals at its park restaurants healthier by eliminating added trans fats by the end of next year. Trans fats will have to be removed from its licensed and promotional products by the end of 2008.
    "Disney will be providing healthier options for families that seek them, whether at our parks or through our broad array of licensed foods," said Disney President and CEO Robert Iger. "The Disney brand and characters are in a unique position to market food that kids will want and parents will feel good about giving them."

The company's consumer-products unit has already started offering some licensed products that comply with the guidelines, including instant oatmeal featuring "The Incredibles" and "Kim Possible" and lunch and dinner foods like Mickey Mouse-shaped organic ravioli and other pastas.
    Beginning this month in U.S. Disney parks and resorts, kids' meals are automatically being served with low-fat milk, fruit juice or water along with side dishes like apple sauce or carrots in place of soft drinks and French fries. Parents can substitute fries and soda at no additional cost.

2. Sometimes I think this gets over-the-top... you actually do need some fat in your diet and sometimes it is ok to have fries etc?!?! I am all about healthy living and eating, but sometimes I think the wrongs done in the food world are being over-compensated for...