Discrimination against the skinny!

1. So I was reading the paper today, and there it was: another newspaper article about women and weight and how society encourages women to make themselves conform to "unnatural" sizes. And this isn't a new thing.. so many times, these articles go on and on and on about how a 'real' woman has got curves, and how skinny women with no hips and no breasts just aren't natural.:oh:

OK. I do, do, understand that there are huge problems with media representations of thinness and that many women and girls suffer eating disorders. These are very serious issues.

But I am 'naturally' skinny -- I always have been, and I can't do anything about it. I haven't got hips or breasts -- and it sucks, but it's the natural shape that I am. I don't starve myself at all, and I don't look more beautiful because I'm skinny, either. :push:

Also, when I used to live in dorms, the woman in charge used to put extra food on my plate, insisting that I "was too skinny" and that I "needed it." Kind of pushy, though she meant well. Just not understanding the plight of the skinny, though! She also gave me a little information flyer about eating disorders, and I was very embarrassed -- never had even occurred to me that anyone could even think that. No disorders here, thankfully!:biggrin:

Other thing. People always feel the need to point it out to me. They say things like: "There you are, you skinny little thing!". Yet they would never say the same thing to an overweight person -- they never say "There you are, you big fat thing"... I realize that people do think that nobody should be mind having the whole being skinny thing pointed out to them, but I do find that it's a personal comment, no matter what. :cry:

Having said all that, I'm not truly obsessed over this -- not really ranting. Just more slightly amused and wondering if I am alone?? :biggrin: I am a 'natural' and a 'real' woman. I swear it. But I don't have hips. Sigh!:biggrin:
  2. PS I'm not tall, either (double sigh!)
  3. I think people forget that we all are made differently. I have never really been faced with the plight of being skinny but I understand what you mean! I had a girl on my swim team who was TINY... just really really skinny. And everyone said she didn't eat. Turns out after we did a metabolic test she had this insalenly crazy metabolism!

I think many people point fingers at skinny people because they must think that skinny people have done something extraordinary to get there, not thinking they are just born that way.
  4. I think there's always a negative stimga against overweight people b/c society automatically thinks that they are lazy and don't do anything to lose weight and get healthy. Conversely, I think society equates skinny to healthy. Therefore, when they see you, they see healthy/beautiful/attractive and want to compliment you by calling you an "endearing" name such as "you skinny thing." I've been called that too b/c I'm naturally thin (b/c of my father who is 5'2 and 120+ lbs). I do have somewhat of a chest :smile: and I work out a lot so I have a lot of muscle definition which doesn't make me look like I'm starving myself. I think there is skinny discrimination too just like there is for overweight people. It goes both ways but I think it's certainly not as bad as when an overweight woman goes into a clothing store and gets treated like crap b/c she can't fit into anything.
  5. Thanks, Megs!

You do have a point, jasanna. It's why I can't really rant about this.
  6. Melisande, You are not alone. My friends and co-workers make the same comments about my being "too thin" so I know how you feel because I eat like everyone else does. However, I do agree that society unfairly discriminates against overweight people more than they do underweight people. People tend to "judge a book by it's cover" without really knowing anything about a person whatsoever..:amuse:
  7. yeah. i'm not like freakishly skinny or anything but i'm kind of skinny at least i think kind of. i'm a size 2 in dresses, a 2 or 4 in bottoms, and small in shirts. my sister likes to call my gangly and awkward because i'm also 5'7" which isn't even that tall. but really i don't get hungry that often and if i only ate when i was hungry i'd probably eat like 800 calories a day. so i don't like eating lunch at school because i'm prone to throwing up during crew from working too hard and i'm never hungry at school. still, my friends likes to joke that i'm "anorexic" or something. ptsh. whatever, i know i'm not! :smile:
  8. Good topic!

I was always naturally slim until i had my son, i then went and piled on a bit of weight, and lost it all again within a year.

I'm now a happy size 10 (UK) but when you see celebs in mags. the standard seems to be a size 6 or 8 at biggest - any 'bigger' than that is seen as 'shock horror':weird:

Now....a size 10 is not massive (I measure in inches 36-28-36) but in the eye of the media, that is H-U-G-E!:huh:

Yet, my friends who i class as just a 'normal' size 12/14 are always saying how skinny i am!

If anything, i just need to tone up a bit.....and i'm not tall either - only 5ft 4! When i put on weight people would just say that i looked blooming....not sure if that was a compliment or not, because after i lost it all, people would say how well and how good i looked!:blink:
  9. I wish our society could just accept that people come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes, and for most people, genetics determines a lot of how they're built. I've had slender friends who wanted to gain weight and couldn't and heavier friends who could never get below a certain "setpoint" weight. I do think that overall there's more cultural discrimination against heavier people, and more assumptions that they're "unhealthy", but I wish we could all just live and let live when it comes to body size. I never assume that thin people I meet IRL are that way because of excessive dieting. But when you see celebs shrink down from "slender" to "skeletal", that's a different story.
  10. I understand....my mom used to think I had an eating disorder!I was naturally skinny...to this day I can still eat whatever I want!
  11. pseub- i totally agree with you that people should accept all shapes. i have a friend who isn't too tall but is really skinny. everyone jokes that she can eat the whole menu at denny's which is most likely true!! she's actually trying to put on weight and got up to 112 and a couple weeks later she weighed herself again and lost 4 pounds without even trying!

after 7th grade i decided to give up junk food and soda. i lost 12 pounds and when i went into my check-up a little after my birthday the doctor made my mom leave and was like "is everything ok?" with this kind of look that said do you have an eating disorder?? which i responded to, "no, i don't have an eating disorder, thanks for caring." it made me really mad.
  12. This is an awesome topic! I've been really thin my entire life (I'm 5'2", about 100 pounds) and I have fight to keep weight on and I always feel like people are making unfair statements when they say that real women have curves. I can't help it if this is my body type.
  13. Thank you Gina! This is exactly what I mean. Over and over again, there is all this talk of 'real' women, and 'natural' women being curvy (it shows up, especially, in things like Dove ads for 'real' beauty, and in articles about weight issues in society) -- this implies, of course, that all who aren't blessed with curves are unnatural and aren't real women! I thought Dove was trying to make *all of us* feel better about our bodies. After all, it's actually hard not to have curves, in this society. And to be small or shortish.
  14. I see your point, but it's not quite the same as the opposite situation. Regardless of the body type you have, chances are you're not going to be happy with what you've got. Women are socially conditioned to take up as little space as possible, and that even applies to our body size. I understand that there is a negative stigma associated with being really tiny- and that it can be difficult- however. I knew this girl who was 5'3" and 98 lbs. She ate normally and everything. No one ever accused her of having an ED, infact, she usually got a million compliments for being so adorable and petite.

I don't quite understand you saying that being small and short are bad things! Smaller girls are usually attributed adjectives such as "adorable" "tiny" "cute" etc. Think... Eva Longoria. Men drool over her, and he's a size 0, and about 5'1". I don't see anyone complaining about her little body. Now think of....Alicia Silverstone, when she gained weight after clueless. She was called so many names by the media, for her role in that Batman movie- because of the extra pounds. There will always be descrimination on either side, but one clearly outweights the other. In my opinion, the dominant ideal is never the one that has the most rights to complain. It would be like affluent, old, white men saying that they weren't given enough execuative positions, because a few of them were slighted.

Now, as for this talk of "real" women- I don't think the point is to be literally "real women have curves" ( which is a seriously amazing move, btw) but that, real woman have bodies that aren't always going to be the ideal society places upon us. Some of the girls in those dove ads were smaller- They were just trying to put a realistic image of women out there. The average woman isn't a size 0-4 like most actresses/models. ( I size 4 is considered pushing it these days.) I'm 5'5", and a size 4. I have a pretty boyish shape. I'm pretty flat chested, narrow hips, and the only womanly thing I have are my legs/bum. There have been times where I've felt less womanly due to my lack of cleavage- but I get over it. I understand I don't have the right to feel as badly about myself for being average- when so many people struggle with losing weight.

That being said, you should just learn to embrace your body for what it is, girl. Thank your lucky little stars that weight gain isn't an issue for you, and perhaps concentrate on bulking up a little bit with muscle. I bet you'll have a newfound confidence in a body that is little and strong. :smile:
  15. I agree; I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be tiny. I am thankful for it.