Discontinued Lipstick

Lipstick discontinued: What now?

• Total voters
Whenever my favorite lipstick is discontinued from a major brand, I know it's time to head to the cosmetics counter and do a full makeover to update my look.

I find that over time we become very set in our ways, and occasionally it's nice to have a professional tell me how to tweak my look, so I stay contemporary. This is why celebrities look modern and hip because they stay current.

Great Point

You ladies are the best! Thank you. I have two tubes headed to me by different vendors. Fingers crossed. LOL might buy more, depending on my funds. It's by Cle de Peau. There's no dupe om Tempilia but might seek out Giorgio Armani. And worst case scenario, I might try three custom colors and have a dup made.
Have you checked out Cos Bar? They carry Cle de Peau and I have found more than a few things that were discontinued there. Also, have one of the sales associates at the store you normally purchase at do a search for you. My associate found me a couple of discontinued La Prairie lipsticks doing that and she had them shipped to me. New colors and ideas are great but the ones you love are still the ones you love!

Reactions: hermes_lemming
Have you checked out Cos Bar? They carry Cle de Peau and I have found more than a few things that were discontinued there. Also, have one of the sales associates at the store you normally purchase at do a search for you. My associate found me a couple of discontinued La Prairie lipsticks doing that and she had them shipped to me. New colors and ideas are great but the ones you love are still the ones you love!
Oh thank you - I've never heard from them. I just checked now and unfortunately they dont carry it. It was a former line that was purposely made to be refilled with a reusable case. The sweet staff at the dept store I normally purchase from told me to check online because they stopped carrying it in the store - they decided to go back to "one time tubes". I'll just take my old tube back to the department store next time I'm there and counter surf for a dupe. In the meantime, I'll just stock up on whatever tubes I can find online.
that is a valid point
however, I also appreciate that some lines keep some of the same items for years and years. I like MAC lip liners and they have some of the same wooden pencils they had many years ago. sometimes if it aint broke don't fix it.
Exactly. I mean it's not like I'm living in a cave somewhere and wearing the same exact makeup from the past several decades. I do have other lipsticks/liners/gloss c/o of Sephora gift sets in my makeup bag that I occasionally experiment with but this particular shade suits my coloring the best. Alas i'll just ride this wave out for as long as I ican.

I appreciate everyone's helpful suggestions. I really do admire people who put more effort than my simple fare. I tried getting makeovers in the past and would dutifully purchase whatever blush, bronzer, etc they'd recommend but they would just sit untouched in my closet. So now I just admire my friends' beautiful eyeshadows and the others eyelashes.

I voted for finding a dupe, but reading you really love this shade and pretty much just wear the 1 shade, I would buy as many as I can reasonably use in the time that they will still be fresh. Lipsticks can last a really long time, but I do have some old ones that are not fresh, so they are kind of hard, smell like crayons, and the color is not the same, it oxidized more orange than what the original shade was. For now they are still usable to me if I want an orangish shade and I can also use them for blending with other colors, but many people would probably not want to use these lipsticks, so I would keep in mind lipstick doesn't necessarily have an unlimited shelf life.

So in the meantime, having a few backups of your current fave, you can leisurely find a future fave. I've learned in life not to worry about missing out on something, as there will always be more things to buy.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880
I have an old Armani lip liner that's discontinued. I looked all over trying to duplicate it. I now find that I have a little bit left and I don't like it any better than my MAC Half Red pencil.

BLITZTRANCE pat mcgrath gold is like molten metal, no joke, unreal

But it's forever out of stock. Had to pay extra looking online but well worth it. Have 2nd Xtra and a girlfriend trying to talk me out of one. Her makeup is amazing

Reactions: cecchetti
I have a milani lip creme that I just decided I really like and it's almost gone. Now come to find out it's discontinued. Amazon has two in that color. Normal price would be $10 or less. They want $23. seems like price gouging.

after my experience not being able to find another of my favorite milani lip cremes, I'm thinking of purchasing another of a flower beauty one before they discontinue that one too

yesterday I stopped at a discount store (GTM). they have a lot of product they apparently get from other stores when they discontinue a line. they had the Milani lip cream I've been looking for but alas, not the right color. and I would have hesitated to buy from them as the packaging wasn't sealed. with a regular lipstick you could wipe it off with alcohol but with these in the tubes you can't and you don't know if someone has opened and tested it.
I hadn't been in that store for a long time. Didn't find much but I did get a Maybelline mascara for around $2 and it it sealed in the package.

Even though my current lip color isn't discontinued (knock on wood), I still stock up on it, because I have been burned in the past with my favorite lip colors. So I load up whenever I feel like buying and I usually buy 2 at a time, too.

Reactions: sdkitty
I was thinking about reordering a liquid lipstick the other day but I'm not out of it and I have one from a different brand that's very similar so guess I don't need it and can replace when it actually runs out if it's still available.