Discoloration or Tarnish on MBMJ Hardware?

1. I recently bought something off of eBay, and I'm a bit concerned with the wear on the hardware. I've attached pics. Has anyone had this happen to their MBMJ hardware? Any suggestions for solutions would also be greatly appreciated.

I should also note that while my first thought was that perhaps it was not authentic, the leather is definitely real, and the lining looks pretty authentic to me. I'm not familiar with the older lines though, so I'm not 100% sure, of course.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. hmmm. weird that that's happening.
    i have a softy tote with the same hardware and it still looks perfect--i've carried it for the majority of the last 9 months...
    i wonder if a metal polishing cloth would help?

3. yeah i've purchased stuff from the older lines and NONE of it has had tarnishing like that. thanks for the suggestion though.

4. it definitely looks real, but I don't know as much about the MbMJ stuff. maybe it got left in the rain? some kinda mold? can you ask the seller?

5. it looks like the antique brass coating is actually chipping?? i've read in some other threads about mbmj hardware chipping/scratching easily. haven't seen such an extreme case, but since you say you bought it off eBay, was the bag listed with the hardware in this condition? or did this recently happen while the purse was in your possession because in that case something might've caused it to look like that... a mold seems unlikely, but maybe you can to take it to a Marc Jacobs store to see what they make of it.

6. i have a feeling it's some sort of chemical reaction. i think maybe they use some sort of acid bath to get the plating on MJ hardware and some sort of process to put the white and black enamel inside the letter imprints. i think maybe this was a factory second, or overlooked by quality control. it may have been something your seller picked up at an outlet or something, or there is the possibility that the coin purse was touched by sea water or the seller lived near the beach. they're all possibilities...

7. Thanks so much for your opinions & suggestions.

The seller offered to accept it as a return, but I like the wallet! I'll just have to see if I can tolerate the discolored hardware.