Dilemma...what To Get For My Last Chanel Purchase....

jeg

Dec 24, 2007
HI EVERYONE, THIS IS MY FIRST TIME ON HERE. I'VE BEEN SCANNING THE SITE AND LEARNING SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY. I'VE JUST PURCHASED MY 3RD CHANEL, AND MY LAST, SINCE THE PRICES ARE JUST GETTING 2 TOO EXPENSIVE FOR ME. THE MEDALLION TOTE IN BORDEAX WAS WHAT FIRST CAUGHT MY EYE. I LOVED THE SIZE AND ESPECIALLY THE COLOR. WHEN I SHOWED IT TO MY HUSBAND ( HE'S BEEN WITH ME THROUGH ALL OF MY MAD PURSE PURCHASES), HE THOUGHT FOR $2200 IT NEEDED TO HAVE SOME KIND OF BLING TO IT. I THEN SAW A LT. SILVER COTTON CLUB AND THOUGHT FOR THE SIZE AND THE COLOR, THE PRICE WASN'T SO BAD. THEN AFTER BEING ON THIS SITE, I DISCOVERED THAT THE GST ALSO COMES IN BORDEAX. SO MY DILEMMA IS:confused1:: SHOULD I KEEP THE LT SILVER COTTON CLUB...WHICH I LOVE...JUST THE COLOR (ESP. WITH 2 LITTLE KIDS) IS NOT SO PRACTICAL (BUT NEITHER IS A $2000 PURSE) OR SHOULD I LOOK AND SEE IF THERE ARE ANYMORE BORDEAX GST'S OUT THERE...OR SHOULD I JUST GET THE MEDALLION...BECAUSE I JUST LOVE THAT COLOR? AAAAHHH....SUGGETSTIONS/OPINIONS PLEEAASE.... WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED;)....

I would wait until I found the right bag. Since you like the GST in bordeau color, it's not hard to find. Any SA can do a search for you. I saw one a couple of weeks ago at the boutique. You can also post and the tPfers can help you find one. Good luck.

The word "classic" I think has been so seriously abused by fashion designers that virtually every piece these people create are classics.

To me however a classic item is one that people will carry regardless of the trend. The medium Chanel flap (caviar or lambskin leather) to me is a true classic because women have been carrying that bags for at least three decades now and I see no sign of this stopping in the next two decades judging by the number of classics that are sold these days.

Is Cotton Club a classic? I somehow don't think so. I think the GST, the PST, the medallion and the wallet on a chain are going to be or are in the process of acquiring that "classic" status. If you look at these bags' style, they are, frankly, not modern at all. They always appear to me to be "bags from the past" and yet seeing how the ladies here model their bags, you don't find them out of place.

The timeless clutch, notwithstanding its name, might not stand the passing of time. I guess time will tell.

As for the reissue, I owe one myself. At the moment, I just feel that we are experiencing a "reissue" trend. I am not sure how "classic" the reissue is. There must be a reason why Chanel stopped making it at some stage and only brought it back 2/3 years ago. I think it will be some time before the reissue attains the status of the "classic flap".

Just my little 2p. I am never swayed when SAs tell me that a bag is going to be a classic or is a classic. At the end of the day, I will only buy a bag if I truly like it.

Thanks for the input, I've called a sales associate to see if she can find it. :girlsigh:
Good choice. The gst is a great choice for a bag a mom can carry w/o fear and the bordeux is a great color.
Re: your classic question, to me, they are the purses with classic shapes that will either always be in style or will keep coming back in style. The gst, the reissue/classic flap (which are essentially the same shape), the clutches all will be easy to carry and make stylish now, in 10 years and in 25 years etc.

jeg: I think I saw a thread saying that the GST in bordeax is available via the Neiman Marcus catalog for the pre-price increase price of $1895! You should go to the Chanel Shopping sub forum and look for the thread!

I don't know for sure about the GST, but I think bordeaux in the PST is gone. I asked my SA about it a few days ago for another tPF'er and that was the idea I got. Now, there may be some left in some back room somewhere as bags to seem to pop up like that every now and again, but I thought I'd mention this anyway.