Dilemma: Someone asks for help in getting a Birkin.

It's not to your advantage to be unkind to her either. You may not make friends but at least she might become an acquaintance. And maybe she ain't so bad after all or maybe she is. But taking her to a reputable reseller is as nice as you can be.

Let her know you already mentioned it to the Hermes store and indicated an interest in X bag, but there're no guarantees. Or that the waiting list for that particular bag is closed. This way, you don't lose your mutual friends, and it won't be awkward if you two run into each other in the future or if she calls you incessantly.

You may not care for one more friend, but no one can afford one more enemy. Some people are simply dirty for many or no particular reason, I've learned my lessons.

I agree with both of these posters. Since I don't personally know the woman, I will have to ammend my first reply; she may be nice or she may be a jerk. I don't think you should help her, but do it in a neutral manner - so you don't alienate her and/or make it awkward for your mutual friends. And do speak with the friends you have helped, and ask them to keep it quiet!

Eric, If this woman is the "difficult" type do you want to present her to your store as a friend? If this person is not kind to you; she will not be an enhancement to your life. You can, and absolutely must choose your friends.

Out of the choices that you posted, I would be tempted to say that my quota was filled.

I would call my store and let them know that I am not really close to this person;should they use me as a reference.

^This is absolutely nearly identical to what I was already thinking.
I think you sound like a goodhearted person and probably feel a small inclination to help even though you know you shouldn't or may really not want to - it may just be that you have a helpful spirit. There is nothing wrong with that at all!

But I doubt that this person would really appreciate you, and why would you want to help her get a Birkin? There must be a reason she can't acquire one on her own.

Also, I have been thinking a lot about this. She d oesn't own any other H?
Birkins do seem incredible and all, but the entire H brand ( I know I do not need to explain here) is what attracts me.
I wouldn't want to help someone get something because 'it's a birkin and I must have it', I would help someone I didn't know if they came up to me and said they had heard I know a lot about H and if I wouldn't mind going to the boutique with them and teaching them, and keeping an eye out for...say...a LINDY! (my personal dream)
it just seems like there aren't enough people out there that really appreciate what H is and only want the status symbol. To them I say, FIE!

Option 1!!! Of course, then, you may have to deal with her kissing up to you for the next few years... but hopefully she'll just be too discouraged. Either that or give her the H boutique's phone #, and tell your SA to stonewall her. I doubt that would happen, but wouldn't it be funny? (Sorry, I'm in a *****y mood tonight...)

Boy. She is nervy! That sort of pushy person only responds to firm answers, ergo, #1. And you can add, "My quota is full. I just can't," and smile broadly as you say it. And if she pushes, just say, "I can't", while smiling. Remain immovable and serene. From your posts I know you have the style and savoir faire to carry it off.

Don't bring her to the H store, you never know what these sort of people will do to your cred.

My thought exactly!! We all work so hard to develop a rapport and trusted relationship with H staff so that we can get what WE want, that it would stink to have this user (yes, that's what she is!!) ruin that for you. :tdown: :tdown: :tdown: And, it's rude of her to put you in this position any way... If she wants a Birkin that badly, she should go to her local H and start developing relationships!

Option #1 my friend...

Best of luck to you Eric! Please let us know the outcome.