digital camera help!

guys, i am SO disappointed right now that i'm actually in tears.

i bought my camera, brought it home to test it out...and i hate it. it makes this god awful noise when you hit the shutter- it sounds like it's breaking or something. and the picture quality sucks. i just spent $200 that i really can't afford on this piece of garbage. and i doubt they'll let me return it.

:crybaby:

you should be able to mute the camera.

I would take it back. Say your unsatisfied. As long as everything is in its origonal condition you should be ok.

i went to best buy tonight and they said that's how it's supposed to sound...which is utterly ridiculous, imo. and the only way they'll return it is if i pay the 15% restocking fee...and that's money i could seriously use right now.

i'm SO upset over this. i sat in my car and cried once i left best buy...

you can turn the shutter sound off (already did that). but it's obviously not the shutter- maybe it's the lens or something? i can't remember what they said at best buy (they had the geek squad test it, and they said it was fine).

either way, it's an annoying little sound.

i've been fighting myself over this all night...i could REALLY use that $40 that they'll take out as a restocking fee...but it's going back. i STILL think it's defective, but that doesn't matter if they don't agree. i just can't keep the camera because i seriously get angry just LOOKING at it (i can't keep stuff with bad vibes...).

darn you, best buy! i SUPPORTED you earlier in this thread!!!

I'm not sure if you spoke with a manager when you tried returning it the first time but I would ask for one when you go back. I would focus more on wanting to return due to the quality of the pictures rather than the noise since they claim it sounds normal. Also when you go back ask to test the display and see if it sounds the same way as the one you bought.

^ i tried talking to a manager. he asked if i had tested the camera out before i bought it. i said yes. so he said i should have known about the quality of pictures.

and the sound...i still swear the one on display sounds different (like a typical shutter sound) and the one i have is just funky. but it's harder to tell in the noisy store, you know?

i'm having my mom go back with me- maybe they'll pay more attention to her. we've spent WAY too much in that store for them to treat me like that. (seriously, we've gotten 3 computers there. plus my washer and dryer. and about a million other things)

i get what you're saying, but i'm very familiar with my store's policies and there should have been a large warning sticker over the opening of the box that explains the restocking fee once the sticker is broken. if it's a $200 camera, you should be out $30 instead of $40, and we lose a lot more money on the transaction because unlike returning a shirt or something, we probably won't be able to resell the camera as what we call an "open-box" item, so we're out the other $170.

if there wasn't a sticker...i'd just put everything back in there as best i can like i never opened it and return it as a new-in-box camera. i had my mom do that one time because there wasn't a sticker and she decided she didn't want the camera i bought her. she avoided the restocking fee.

we have people return defective things ALL the time, so i promise you they're not just trying to prevent a return or be mean (we have people return multi-thousand dollar sales every day). i know it probably doesn't make you feel any better, but i promise that they actually don't believe the camera to be defective.

i just bought the sony cybershot DSC-T10 because it's pink.

i also have a heavier and more heavy-hitting camera for when i want to take awesome(r) pictures. i haven't received the sony yet (tomorrow! yay!) and i can't wait to give it a try. the other (a panasonic with a HUGE LCD) is too big to carry around in my bag, so i got the sony for that purpose. plus, i have a soft spot for sony since my very first digital camera was a sony (1.3MP).

i can let you all know how it is when i get it! =)

I'm buying the Canon A630 right now, LOADS of amazing reviews and beachcamera.com has it super cheap - $234
I think it has 8 MP{?}, also has good zoom features and also is supposed to be really quick.

I need a lot of MPs because I like to crop after I take photos and I only print 5x7 and larger.
If you get something w/ more than 6 MPs, make sure top get at least a 1 gb memory card.

I loved the way my Fuji worked when it worked, but I haven't been able to get one to last me more than 13 mos yet :sad:

its 6mp . I have the same camera. Great pictures.

i went to best buy tonight and they said that's how it's supposed to sound...which is utterly ridiculous, imo. and the only way they'll return it is if i pay the 15% restocking fee...and that's money i could seriously use right now.

i'm SO upset over this. i sat in my car and cried once i left best buy...

Sorry I hadnt seen this post earlier. But Fuji's , Kodaks and Sony arent the best digital cameras. Canons are the best alongside Olympus[sp?].

Next time get reviews from Amazon.com, Cnet.com, PcReview.com and Pcworld before you go out and buy.

i get what you're saying, but i'm very familiar with my store's policies and there should have been a large warning sticker over the opening of the box that explains the restocking fee once the sticker is broken. if it's a $200 camera, you should be out $30 instead of $40, and we lose a lot more money on the transaction because unlike returning a shirt or something, we probably won't be able to resell the camera as what we call an "open-box" item, so we're out the other $170.

if there wasn't a sticker...i'd just put everything back in there as best i can like i never opened it and return it as a new-in-box camera. i had my mom do that one time because there wasn't a sticker and she decided she didn't want the camera i bought her. she avoided the restocking fee.

we have people return defective things ALL the time, so i promise you they're not just trying to prevent a return or be mean (we have people return multi-thousand dollar sales every day). i know it probably doesn't make you feel any better, but i promise that they actually don't believe the camera to be defective.
okay. there was NO sticker on the box about the restocking fee. and no sticker whatsoever over the end (so there was no way he knew i had opened it). before i ever said a word to him, he told me about the restocking fee. and he said there was that 15% for the memory card, too (which i hadn't even touched)- which is where the $40 came from (camera and memory card). and it's not like you could even tell it had been open- so i ASSUMED you had to pay the 15% no matter what...but obviously not?

i have no problem with the policy...it is what it is. but i think it's weird how i'm getting two separate responses from best buy employees, kwim?

I am in the market for a digital camera too! I am going to get a Canon - can someone tell me what is the difference between the A and the SD in front of the number? This may be a really stupid question lol but I have never owned a digital camera (at least the prices have come down alot lol) but I really want to start selling some stuff on Ebay . . . and posting pics here, or course !!