Different treatment because of your Hermes?

I never had the impression of getting a different treatment because of my Birkins.

In fact I never notice if they look at it when I enter a shop and I think that Birkin is such a low profile bag that nobody notice it. But maybe I'm wrong...

Depending on demographics: there is a 3 second assessment rule in sales, it's part of the training .. not oblivious to this and I pick up on this all the time. Target to Harrods, in addition to the many media channels out there, how can one not notice iconic H designs.

Personally, have always received courteous, no pressure sales when I do carry H bags.
But yes, treatment does become positively escalated when the sales/banker/MD's/coffee server are aware cos they stare maybe trying to figure out if 'the bag' is authen LOL.

When I carry anyone of my HACs, or the 40B, I sometimes I hear ''look at that fake":lol:
.. and they say it so you can hear it .. haiz .. I chuck it to lack of knowledge, thinking to myself .... 'are you 100 percent sure, cos my receipts said I purchased them from H boutique myself .. hehe':P Although, many a times I had to bite my tongue and ignore the snide comments and go my merry way^

If only those who were commenting only knew how to distinguish authen from fakes then they would not embarrass themselves .. oh well .. sad for those who have no manners and are not knowledgeable.

They should at least lurk tpf and learn the vast information stored and shared for free:tpfrox:

As many have observed, more often than not you get better service when you wear your Birkin, wear a mink, big e-ring, etc. Over the years I have to the conclusion that it’s best to develop relationships with SAs at one store. Make all your major purchases there. I have been going to the Tyson’s Corner store since it opened. I am on a first-name basis with most of the SAs there. I went into the store on my birthday this year—and walked out with my 35 Etoupe Birkin. Don’t get me wrong, I love to go to other Hermes and shop. I just don’t go in there and expect the same service that I get in my home store.

Here’s an example of really bad service, I purchased an Anaconda tourmaline bead necklace at Barney’s Madison Avenue for about $2,500 last Christmas. In late June, I noticed the necklace had chipped in 2 spots. The damage was due to loose stringing/knotting of the silk thread so some of the beads were bumping up against one another. I took pics. I emailed SA to alert her of the situation. I told her I was traveling to NYC from DC to deal with this. Even though I was wearing a Bolide, had nice jewelry, etc., the “chicer than thou” SA was passive-aggressive hostile to me. She admitted she ignored my email. But she took in the necklace for repair. At Thanksgiving, I finally ransomed my necklace from Barney’s for $180. They said they re-polished the stones (they didn’t). They just removed the damaged stones and re-strung it. I noticed the necklace was shorter. The store manager offered to look up larger clasps and email me back. He didn’t.

Lesson learned. Deal with people you know and trust. Even “reputable” stores can treat people badly. I won’t spend a dime in Barneys again.

Best advice ever!! So true!:flowers:I am sorry to hear about your bad experience at Barney's. Such a shame.

Just wanted to say that I thoroughly enjoyed reading this thread...and I would rather spend my money in a store that doesn't treat customers based on their appearance. That said, I don't have an H yet...but I do have a husband and I do have a dog! :smile:

:angel: i have to admit i do that too sometimes

one thing that i noticed from my experience though. SAs are nicer to a man. My husband went to a H store alone one time and was treated super nice when he asked questions. The next day, i came along to the store and the treatment was so-so according to him

One more thing about treatment of women in expensive boutiques. If SAs are smart, they realize some women spend far more money without their husbands than with their husbands. :rolleyes:

PrincessCypress, having a DH and a dog is more important and rewarding than having an H bag, but DANG, a lot heavier to carry around. Leave those at home and bring the birkin shopping.

Whether treated better or not (I think I am when dressed nicely with the birkin) with or without my H bags, I don't really pay too much attention. I go into stores, get what I want and need and get on with my happy, GOOD LIFE.

Thanks for your reply, good life! You're right...at the end of the day, it's all about being happy and I won't give anyone the chance to ruin my day. Maybe a few minutes, but not the whole day! :biggrin:

PrincessCypress, having a DH and a dog is more important and rewarding than having an H bag, but DANG, a lot heavier to carry around. Leave those at home and bring the birkin shopping.

Whether treated better or not (I think I am when dressed nicely with the birkin) with or without my H bags, I don't really pay too much attention. I go into stores, get what I want and need and get on with my happy, GOOD LIFE.

I was doing some quick shopping on Rodeo Drive, with my Birkin, yesterday. As I waswalking, a lady who was briskly walking on the sidewalk coming from the opposite direction was pretty much bumping into people, not apologizing. She was carrying a tricolor Kelly, so I couldn't help but to stare. When she nearly bumped into me, she briefly glanced downward at my Birkin and clearly said, "I'm sorry". Was it the bag? Also, in some stores I enter (Hermes and others), I notice that the SAs look downward, see my Birkin or Kelly, and THEN they say hello and ask if I need help. Anyone else get different treatment because they were carrying a Hermes bag?

That's totally true. I was wearing my Birkin today to do some shopping at Saks (just to see if I would get treated differently; I was also all dolled up for a party later today), and I swear that I received more "help" from the SAs than I ever have. Sometimes they would look down first and then offer "help" or vice versa, but I was definitely treated differently.

Wearing your birkins can definitely get you better treatment. I noticed that when I wear my H bags in an upscale shopping place where birkins are more recognizable, I get offered help rather than asking for it. I also noticed that SAs become more helpful. However, in other shopping places, my birkins go under the radar most of the time.

I remember that when I first started buying at Hermes, I've always walked inside by myself (wearing jeans and a messenger bag). The SAs never took me seriously until one day I left the store with couple thousand dollars worth of merchandise. The next time I came in, one of them asked me if I'm married because she didn't see a ring. I told her I was single and I could see her face fell a little (she looked disappointed all right). However, she cheered up when I told her I have families and relatives (and extended families) who love leather goods. And you know what? After that I still have SAs (other SAs) ask me whether I was married. Actually, even the security guard asked me the one time I walked in there with my ostrich Kelly. They seem to think that women who can spend at Hermes must be married or something. :hrmm:

LOL that sounds like my experience. next time im dragging my brother along :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin: who knows? :P

I don't live close to major stores, so if go shopping in Hermes or other high end designer stores I'm either having a day out shopping or on holiday abroad. Either way it means I'm dressed up for the occasion, and carrying either a b or k. Not wearing furs and huge diamonds (I have neither), but I'm not in sweats either. I find this usually gets me good service.