Did I do the right thing?

Rondafaye

O.G.
Aug 20, 2006
I am selling my velvet Blondie on EBay for what I think is a good price, given condition and rarity. I just got a question from a seller. She asked if I would reduce the price, given that she/he is shopping for a birthday gift.

I responded, saying that I would not lower the price. I also blocked him/her from bidding, as this person's rating was only 97 percent. I just felt weird about the whole thing.

Perhaps that's because I usually buy and sell vintage watches. Once, I had a bidder "win" a vintage Rolex. He encouraged me to send it right away as it was a birthday gift for his mother. He sent me the "number" of the money order he'd mailed. I didn't mail it, and never received the MO. Turns out he was pulling the same scam on others and he ended up getting booted from EBay.

I guess the combo of bad feedback (it's private too -- I checked toolhaus) and "birthday" set off alarms. I did the right thing, didn't I?

I think you did the right thing. If your gut-instinct tells you that something's "off" or "funny", chances are that you're right. It's just not worth it to take a chance and become the victim of a fraud scam.

Thanks, Melissa. Sometimes I feel guilty over things when I know in my heart I shouldn't. I was thinking, "What if she tries to bid and it hurts her feelings to find out I blocked her?" But, yeah, it just seemed a bit off.

I think you did absolutely the right thing!....always listen to your gut feeling, it's usually right 99% of the time! The quilty feelings come not because you doubt your decisions but because you're geniunely a good-hearted person. Unfortunately, Ebay sometimes make you lose faith in people and good-hearted people get burned....when they don't listen to their instincts!

Unrelated, but I saw an Oprah episode the other day with the guy who checked in one of the 9/11 terrorists. He had a bad gut feeling about the guy the whole time but ignored it. Our natural intuition (and I think women have a special 'gift' in this area) is often dead on....listen to it.

Why in the heck should you lower your price just because they are buying a gift? That's nonsense!

If they have a limited budget for their gift-shopping, that's THEIR problem.

Hmmm....if I go to Nordstrom and tell them I am buying a gift....do you think they will lower the price? :roflmfao:

Hee. My grandmother -- the last of the southern belles -- used to try (and sometimes she did get discounts). She was a real character. Very difficult if you really knew her, but ultra charming to strangers (go figure). She was the youngest in her family with 8 older brothers. She thought she was IT. Like something out of F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Anyway, women hated her because she was always flirting with their men, even into her 90s. I remember her telling my husband that her boobs were better than mine when I was 25 and she was around 75. And she really meant it. I thought he was going to just die.

Anyway, she'd go to department stores and bat her eyes and drawl that she was on a fixed income and blah, blah. And sometimes they'd cut the price. Which was bad, because it only encouraged her. And she did NOT need encouragement.