Did I commit a major boo-boo?

i personally never mind if someone exchanges a gift and in fact prefer it to the gift going unused. when they exchange it i know they have something they love and that was really my intension from the beginning.
My sentiments exactly! But of course there's a whole other school of thought (or really feelings), where people take the rejection of a gift very personally. It's hard to know how someone will feel until an incident like this happens.

It depends on whether your friend, the gifter has a big heart or a petty one. Seriously.

We all cannot declare to know our friends and their ever changing tastes (especially with H). I am personally very easy going about these sort of things, and I do tell my friends that they are free to go to my H store to get their store credits for the gift/s I gave them, if my choices were horrid.

I would rather they find something they like and will use them, than pretend that they do when they don't, or worse, recycle my presents and regift them to other friends.

Perja: I'm sorry to hear this. I do understand that you'd rather have something that you will use.

Personally, I will never exchange gift item mainly because I do not want to 'hurt' the person who gives it to me.

Try to talk things out with your friend.

Perja, perhaps your friend is more embarrassed that she didn't know your tastes better. Either way, though, I would have done the same as you. You love what you picked out and will think of your friend often. Hopefully your friends feelings will recover quickly. :flowers:

It's always upsetting for the both parties, I know. But there's always a way out :yes:. Can you let the gift-giver from time to time know how much you like the cardholder AND how much you are thankful to him for the opportunity of having it? How you think of him and smile every time you see the thing? Just stress on the fact that this cardholder you like so much is in fact his/hers gift. A playful kiss on the cheek works miracles :graucho: (if it's a guy!)

MY first association :P
Funny thing Aminamina... It was my first association too!

Attachments

• daddy.jpg
    daddy.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 15
  • credit card.jpg
    credit card.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 14
Try to talk things out with your friend.

I agree. I would apologize profusely for hurting her feelings and let her know that you appreciate the thoughtfulness she showed in purchasing your gift from Hermes, a brand that you clearly love. I would let her know that you treasure her friendship and would have never intentionally hurt her.:flowers:

I agree. I would apologize profusely for hurting her feelings and let her know that you appreciate the thoughtfulness she showed in purchasing your gift from Hermes, a brand that you clearly love. I would let her know that you treasure her friendship and would have never intentionally hurt her.:flowers:

No offence, hautemom. Your post encourages a response.

.... I think I am too old for this .... I only keep friends who are big hearted. I can't deal with high maintenance friendships that I need to fix hurt feelings. Life is too short. And I think having 2 young children have changed my perspective towards the type of friends to keep.

If you were my friend, I would be ecstatic you wanted something in raisin...heehee. ;)

I think many people gave great advice from different perspectives. You should be able to find reassurance from many of us, and maybe pick up a new way to go about mending the fence from here on out. :heart:

Awww Perja!!! I feel for you.
Its so difficult when you reciece a gift that isnt totally suitable.
I am sure that your gift-giver will understand in time.
Its a little hard for her aswell. I expect she thought long and hard about your gift, and thought she was giving you something she thought you would love.
Talk to her, and explain why you exchanged it.
She probably feels a little hurt at the moment, but once she sees how much you love your exchange gift she will get over it.
This reasoning comes from someone , who would exchange a gift in a shot if it wasnt suitable:P

I don't think it was all that awful. If you sweetly mention to the gift giver that you smile and think of them everytime you use your replacement gift, they might soften up about it. The initial shock of what you did will wear off and I'm sure they will come 'round:smile:

Thank you everyone for the insight.

I tried explaining the "usage" against "non usage" thing but for a guy, he got incredibly dense about it. I did tell him many times that I appreciated the gift, but preferred to have something that I'd have with me daily to remind me of him.

He's received the Hermes crash course for asking "Why would you prefer a little scrap (?!!!) of leather instead of a scarf?" :biggrin:

"a little scrap":roflmfao: - oh sooo guy-like.
I see now: his intentions were the best - getting you something bigger (grander in his opinion). He's just bitter about not digging it in a first place :yes:. He'll get there :smile:

Awwww boys! They do have their challenges! My DH just throws his hands up and lets me get what I want. We had one chat about this kind of thing and I told him that it wasn't his fault that I was so picky! And that me exchanging a gift didn't mean he had it wrong--just that I was weird. He's gone with that for 6 years.