Designer or Not?

1. Some people in my class have been debating whether certain things are designer or not, so I wanted to find out the truth (or something like the truth :biggrin:).

Designer or Not:

Ann Taylor?
    Ann Taylor Loft?
    Tommy Hilfiger?
    Tommy Jeans?
    DKNY?
    DKNY Jeans?

2. I Have Worked For Two Of The Above Companies (In Different Capacities). Tommy & DKNY Are Definitely Designers (They Are Both In Top Stores All Over The World). Ann Taylor Is As Well, But, In A Different Way. The Only Place To Purchase Is Through Ann Taylor. Which Is A Top Store All Over The World........All 3!

3. Thanks! Hopefully I can settle some arguments :biggrin:

4. Yes, I'd say those are all designer items, and all great brands!

It does seem to me, lately, that DKNY and Tommy jeans are not as sought after as seven, true religion, citizens for humanity, and others of that sort. So those type of brands are what I normally mean when I say jeans look "designer."

But I still love those three brands and have lots of stuff by them:smile:

5. A definition of a 'designer' item, is:

'an item that is designed by a designer and then signed/branded by that designer's name, their design company's name, or the design company they work for's name'.

Usually, designer items are outsourced (i.e. made by a factory/craftspeople that operate outside the ownership of the designer/the company the designer works for).

e.g. Pheobe Philo designed for Chloe, the items were then produced by independant factories/craftspeople and the items were then signed/branded with the Chloe name.

The cost of paying the designer and of this outsourcing, explains, to a large extent, why designer goods are much more expensive than unsigned/unbranded goods.

Non-designer goods are generally designed and produced by staff from the factories that produce them and are often (but not always) unsigned/unbranded.

I haven't heard of Ann Taylor, but assuming their products fit the criteria of 'designer'; they are designer. They are just not high-end designer.

6. Thanks Chloe, for an actual definition of "designer"! The problem now, though, is that a lot of people use the word colloquially to mean "high-end". This is, in part, probably b/c "designer" doesn't sound as snooty as "luxury" or "high-end." I think that's what confuses lots of people.

7. I totally agree MandM!

By the way, I was just off to your thread about professor.com (or whatever the nightmarish site's called!); to let you know how terrible I think that is! :amazed:

8. Ooh, and one more, celebrity lines. Like Princy by Jessica Simpson?

9. ^^^I don't condsider those designer.

10. I do consider the first one mentioned to be designer, though.

11. I love Ann Taylor dresses to death! I just bought 2 for this summer and I want a third, but havent got the money at the moment. Sorry, I know thats off topic, lol.

12. IMHO I wouldn't consider any of those listed above as designers. To me, a designer has limited production of a product, is generally hard to get, and a price to match. I would consider Donna Karan a designer, but not her DKNY line.

For the record, I do LOVE Ann Taylor.

13. I would consider those 'premium' brands, but not designer.

14. I love ann taylor too! Like abandoned, I just got two dresses on sale, but want a third! They have some cute sundresses coming out in May.

Thanks for visiting my thread Chloe:smile:

15. i dont consider any of those to be designer just because they go on sale.. hence ATLoft and the like.

and yea, i'm aware that burberry, dior, gucci and fendi have sales too.. but iono.. something about the mass production of things that make it less of a "designer"..

also brand that are sold in department stores, like coach, dooney, kate spade, etc.. like, on the rack.... poor things, they should be sitting, not hung by the strap.